Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Got an E60CP, finally!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: When Model Power ripped off Bachmann... Topic Next Topic: Upgrading the couplers on the Bachmann Acela  

AntonioFP45
Switcher

ACLAvatar

Posted - January 16 2014 :  05:40:36 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add AntonioFP45 to Buddylist
Hi guys,

Although I generally model the late 1960s era, I decided to push it up to 1975 so that I could include early Amtrak. I've been a big fan of the GE E60CP for years and had been on the look out for an American GK version. But after communicating with some modelers I found out that the updated Bachmann DCC version was a decent looking unit (inspite of the molded on hand rails).

I won a An Amtrak Phase 2 unit (exactly what I wanted!), new-in-the-box Bachmann DCC unit for $48 on ebay, $59 total with shipping.  I was pleasantly surprised since I remember seeing these units selling for $110 at Hobby Town just a few years ago. I received it in excellent condition and snapped a few photos. This unit actually felt heavier than I expected. I plan on working on it once I've caught up with my passenger car projects.

1. Lights: I definitely want functioning gyra-lights and class lights, so the painted on lenses are coming off and being replaced with clear lenses. All lights will be warm-white LEDs.

Horns: I'm tossing those S-scale, Spanish American War cannons that someone at Bachmann had the nerve to call "horns" lol! (rofl)! Unfortunately no one makes a Nathan P-01235 horn which, when you look at it, appears unusual compared to other Nathan horns. Compromise: Although its trumpets are slightly more stout, Cal Scale's K5H horn (when turned upside down) has the bells (trumpets) arranged in a pattern similar to that of the P01235; basically two smaller trumpets on top, three larger ones on the bottom. But as always I'm open to suggestions.

2. Truck side frames: quite bland, but I think that with some details and weathering it will look decent. If it doesn't interfere with electrical pickup, I'd like to paint all 4 of the visible copper contact plates behind the side frames grimy black. I don't have the comparative info but the side frames do resemble that of the GE U-Boat "C" truck. Windshield Wipers: From a distance (3-foot rule) the molded windshield wipers don't look bad since they appear to be scale sized.  If I'm careful I might be able to paint them with a #00 brush.

Cab Ladder: Molded in black it is thick and rubberized for the truck swing on sharp curves. I think that I can make some ladders from Plastruct material. The ladder-section on the body should be Platinum Mist in color. 

3. Height: Only a visual estimate but it appears just slightly lower than that of the prototype E60CP. The plastic EZ mate couplers will be replaced with Kadees.

4. Pantographs and roof details:

The pantographs are molded in black while the double-bladed contact shoes are stamped metal. They have the basic shape of the prototype but the curved bar on the V-shaped contact arm is too low and not rounded enough. Even so, overall, the pans' appearance is a considerable improvement over the American GK version.

I discovered a pair of "hooks" (white lines pointing to them in the first photo) that lock the spring equipped pans in the down position. Although this feature enables flexibility with the pans' positions, these vertical hooks aren't present on the prototype. The springs are located on the bottom of the fulcrum of each pantograph.

The resistors that the pans and surrounding equipment sit on are molded in white and appear slightly smaller than the prototypes, but have the basic contour.

My plan is to refinish the roof equipment into one of Alclad's Aluminum formulas. However, the question/challenge for me is: "How easy is it to remove the roof details without damaging them?" I hope that the assemblers at the factory applied a minimal amount of adhesive to hold those parts in place.

So far I've only taken it out of the box for these photos but will test run it soon. I'll post my progress on this thread once I start working on it, but it may be a while since I still have Walthers passenger cars and a Kaslo SDP40F shell to work on.

Be creative, share and enjoy the hobby :-)
Edited by - AntonioFP45 on January 16 2014 05:45:49 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 32  ~  Member Since: July 23 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 20 2015 Alert Moderator 

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - January 16 2014 :  06:34:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Interesting project Antonio - and a fascinating description of the model and your plans for it. Looking forward to future posts!

Loved the "spanish-american war" cannons

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 16 2014 :  10:49:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey I'll take them horns if you don't want them
Neat loco & $60 is what them DCC locos SHOULD cost!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 16 2014 :  4:05:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
hey I'll take them horns if you don't want them
Neat loco & $60 is what them DCC locos SHOULD cost!

Originally posted by microbusss - January 16 2014 :  10:49:12 AM

I've seen a few Bachmann DCC engines on eBay for around that price, mostly GPs. My next layout will most likely be DCC, but at least my Proto 1000 ATSF F3A is DCC-ready! (I just need to get a decoder for it once I make the upgrade :D ) At least I can still run one of my typical non-DCC locomotives at a time (so my Mantua BN GP-20 can get in on the action as well!)

I am also kinda surprised Bachmann still makes the E60CP! Then again, it looks like a LOT of Bachmann's old locomotives from the 1970s and 1980s are still being made, except now they have better motors, the E-Z Mate knuckle couplers, DCC and sound (depending on the model), and at times improved paint and detail! Pretty interesting how Bachmann used to be as cheap as Tyco in their heyday, until the Spectrum series came along, and now look at their product line. MUCH better-quality than 30 years ago (wonder if something like that would have happened if Tyco continued making trains?)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AntonioFP45
Switcher

ACLAvatar

Posted - January 17 2014 :  06:29:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AntonioFP45 to Buddylist
Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

These units grew on me over the years. I got to ride behind them when I rode the Silver Meteor and Silver Star trains to NYC and was impressed at how just one E60 could yank a long train almost as easily as a GG1.

Jerry, I'm glad you got a kick out of my description of the horns, lol. To me, a modeler can split that horn assembly up, mount a pair of wheels on each one, and install them on the deck of a scale model version of the USS Constitution!

Wiley,

as far as I know, I think that these units are no longer in production but there are plenty of them out on the market as these regularly pop up on ebay, train shows, and swap meets.

For those that want one, be careful. The newer run versions are slightly better in quality than the early run versions (white box) with the poor quality drive. Although not quite Kato quality, these units do have a can motor, which makes them easier to upgrade with stronger motors and drives.

I also plan on installing sound, likely either LokSound or the QSI Titan. A friend of mine, who is our local DCC guru, does a good job in custom editing horn sounds and I've found several good sound samples of Nathan P-01235 horns. I really like that unique horn sound. Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSOU-EV7l3Y

The motor sound is easy as basically the prototype units sounded like commercial refrigerators. GE motors are present in some foreign locomotives that sound similar to that of the E60, so I will do some research as to which sound scheme comes the closest. Likely Loksound as they do have a number of European electric locomotives on file.

Edited by - AntonioFP45 on January 17 2014 06:37:15 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 32  ~  Member Since: July 23 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 20 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - January 17 2014 :  10:58:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
As far as I know this is just a slight upgrade of the old 1980s train set E60CP, it would be interesting to see what they did for the drive on it - the old one was a single truck pancake drive. I presume that's where most of the changes were made.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - January 18 2014 :  11:40:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
Great acquisition, Tony- you fare much better than i do on EBay auctions! That is a solid-looking engine- enjoy the project (save it for summer 2014!)

Siouxlake Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AntonioFP45
Switcher

ACLAvatar

Posted - January 20 2014 :  4:43:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AntonioFP45 to Buddylist
SiouxLake,

Thanks.

I check ebay frequently for models on my "wish list" 3 to 5 times per week. I saw a wide smattering of Bachmann E60s, but remained focused on looking for the DCC version. Great suggestion that I had not considered: "Save it for the summer". Since I still have a pile of passenger cars to metalize, I'll do just that.

I knew to avoid the old white box version as it has the "yuckster" pancake drive truck. Ivrr is correct in that this unit is a slight upgrade of the older version. However, Bachmann didn't do too badly with this version as the locomotive itself is heavier, can motor equipped, has blackened wheel faces, the pilot is now enclosed and (to my surprise) it's 12-wheel drive.

This unit seems to be a hybrid cross between the Bachmann Trains line (body, with improvements) and the Spectrum line (12-wheel drive).

It's a nice looking unit and I can live with some of the compromises/shortcomings. The only thing that slightly bugs me is the molded-on hand rails next to the cab doors. But I admit that when the "3-foot rule" is employed they don't look bad because they're raised and have a 3-D appearance.

I just received a pair of Cal Scale Nathan 5-chime horns that I purchased on ebay. I was originally going to order them from Bowser, but their shipping is $9.95 minimum, so ebay turned out to be the more cost effective route. Here's one of them:

The small burrs will be filed off and then the horns will be painted Engine Black.

Edited by - AntonioFP45 on January 20 2014 4:52:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 32  ~  Member Since: July 23 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 20 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 20 2014 :  6:20:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I DO want the horns
Plus I want one of these in The Rock &/or in Chessie System
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AntonioFP45
Switcher

ACLAvatar

Posted - March 01 2014 :  7:59:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AntonioFP45 to Buddylist
Ok,

When I begin to work on the locomotive later this year and take it apart, I'll send you a pm to see if you still want them. If you're still interested, I'll mail them to you.

quote:
I DO want the horns
Plus I want one of these in The Rock &/or in Chessie System

Originally posted by microbusss - January 20 2014 :  6:20:50 PM

Edited by - AntonioFP45 on March 01 2014 8:00:55 PM

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - June 29 2014 :  11:13:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
The older #951 E60CP is garbage.... The newer engines run pretty good.

I wouldn't advise in removing the detail from the roof as you will most likely damage it beyond repair.
Replacement E60CP shells complete are $40 available from Bachmann.....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 29 2014 :  11:38:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
The older #951 E60CP is garbage....

Originally posted by AF Kid - June 29 2014 :  11:13:00 AM

All older Bachmann trains sucked in the '80s so yeah.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on June 29 2014 11:39:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 08 2014 :  7:22:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Speaking of the older Bachmann E60's, I got one today at my Train job, the boss said Take it when I told him I wanted it. Purchased in a lot from a customer. Anyway, this old unit features a nice Chessie shell, with the horrid Bachmann pancake abomination powering it. But still, it's an E60C unit. and I like different. So I have both the older Bachmann, and the American GH versions now. Will try it out at work tomorrow.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 08 2014 :  8:26:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I have to agree, that is a beautiful loco.It's just too bad it's powered by such a terrible motor.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - August 25 2014 :  12:25:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Jerry... That is an E60CF. Nice find as they are not that common.
The SF Red/Silver version is more rare....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 25 2014 :  10:17:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
theres a The Rock version & I want it!

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - September 24 2014 :  8:11:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
If you are going to run your E60CP on 18" curves radius, leave the rubber ladders alone as they will allow the wheel carriage to make the tighter turns. Replacing the steps with fixed plastic steps, you won't be able to use the E60 on any curves under a 20" radius....

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 25 2014 :  10:44:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
To Wiley ;
Hi Wiley ! Heavy Electrics always attract attention. You have picked up a few knowledgeable people here. Stephen, Gerry, Pete, Ron and male(LVRR), of which, concerning this loco and all its HO manufactures, I am not one. Just a curious observer. Though I have some of these AG, and maybe a Bachmann model. Both Old like me, and little run.

* You also have posting our current leader in post here showing you by the content of his posts why he is. Surprisingly he has tried to give some honest info on his thought of pricing, but has also included his wants. He has left out his Give me, give me give me line. He is our own. Our always around. "The Buss" .

* After the applauds die away for The Buss, I'll try to add a little something to your thread.

* My AG EP-60 has a unusual pain scheme. CNJ blue and orange, faded to yellow like the real CNJ paint scheme. The AG model as everyone knows is a stock Athearn drive with a specially made body by AG. The reason for the paint job is my # 1 road is the CRR of NJ which is the CNJ , which became a big part of NJT. NJT caused my getting the model and the paint job because of their acquiring the type loco, the EP-60 from AMTRACK. On my layout the CNJ was never stupidly killed off by the State of New Jersey, who was and forced by events to become the railroad's owner and operator.

* My model. I have other photos, but really like the one taken at club night, long ago on the New York Society of Model Engineers layout by Giant stadium. You can see it here at their locomotive servicing facility, on turntable sidings, along with My PRR AEM 102, in tuscan red with 5 gold stripes, and my CNJ C44-8W in what I call the Freight Green Baron paint scheme. The photo was taken before the clubs forced conversion to a all DCC layout.
Frank

First the CNJ electric loco.

Next the photo of the service area.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on September 25 2014 12:34:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 25 2014 :  11:02:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I love that PRR AEM 102!
is that a new loco with CNJ on it?

love to get a few of them AEM 102s or similar undecorated

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 25 2014 :  12:25:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hey Buss. Always present. Always around. As comfortable as a old pair of sneakers.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AntonioFP45
Switcher

ACLAvatar

Posted - July 15 2015 :  09:20:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AntonioFP45 to Buddylist
Nice seeing the work of other modelers. It's been a long while but after a long hiatus, I'm back in the modeling seat again and am looking forward to sprucing up my E60 soon with realistic LED lighting, onboard sound (Loksound ESU decoder) and body detailing with weathering. I tested her and the drive sounds like it needs a bit of cleaning and fresh lubing. I'll post future updates.

Microbuss, if you still want those oversized horns, send me an address and I'll mail them to you. The would certainly be a good fit for an S-scale locomotive.

Edited by - AntonioFP45 on July 15 2015 09:23:31 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 15 2015 :  2:18:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Microbuss, if you still want those oversized horns, send me an address and I'll mail them to you. The would certainly be a good fit for an S-scale locomotive.

Originally posted by AntonioFP45 - July 15 2015 :  09:20:47 AM

check yer inbox

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 24 2017 :  12:02:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

I got this one of eBay for $3. Barely runs. Will try to blow out the motor, clean the pick ups, wheels, see
if I can get some more life out of her. Does anyone know if there is another Bachmann locomotive chassis
that would drop in as a replacement?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 24 2017 :  12:10:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

I got this one of eBay for $3. Barely runs. Will try to blow out the motor, clean the pick ups, wheels, see
if I can get some more life out of her. Does anyone know if there is another Bachmann locomotive chassis

My other E, doing passenger duty. I guess this would answer my question.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 24 2017 :  10:46:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:

My other E, doing passenger duty. I guess this would answer my question.

Originally posted by Chops124 - November 24 2017 :  12:10:36 PM

Wow that's a great price for the Santa Fe version. I've seen those go for up to $75! Good catch.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: When Model Power ripped off Bachmann... Topic Next Topic: Upgrading the couplers on the Bachmann Acela  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000