Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Post your Favorite Five Tyco items!!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: PRR K4 Slideshow Topic Next Topic: Tales of Ephrata Valley
Page: of 2

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - February 18 2007 :  4:12:18 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Here’s the scoop – it’s time to get a discussion going about why we’re here, and have a little fun. SO... it’s time for alloya’s to spill some beans!

Tell us what your FAVORITE FIVE Tyco items are, and a little bit as to why. To that end, since there is so much dang Tyco out there, I’ll even make it easier to choose and say:

Favorite 5 locomotives

And

Favorite 5 rolling stock

Now, these don’t necessarily have to all be things you own yet, or are valuable or hard to find, or sentimental, or that would sell your soul to keep / own, or some other esoteric justification. Those are fine if that's the case.... but if you could only have five items in either category, what would they be?

Here’s mine:

Favorite Five Locomotives (in no particular order)

1. Western Pacific GP20 – Easily one of the most striking of the GP20’s, this is also one of the most distinctive engines in the entire line. It has nothing to do with rarity – I just love how it looks. The paint and graphics are excellent and just seem to fit this model well.
2. Northern Pacific Shark – Another fanciful scheme, but an attractive one. The “Main Street of the Northwest” gets celebrated more than a decade after it was folded into the BN. Two-tone green with a speed stripe and that famous monad applied to a Shark? Sign me up! [erm, and let me get one]
3. Great Northern 430 – Big Sky beauty on a 430? Yes please! (On a side note for fair disclosure: good luck [B)] )!
4. Milwaukee Road E7 – The real Milwaukee Road was nearing its last desperate breaths when Tyco released this model - of a passenger locomotive no less! But you can’t dismiss the chrome finish and Hiawatha striping on this long sleek loco as anything less than beautiful.
5. Chessie SD24 – The absolute best of Tyco’s Chessie and SD24 offerings. And it easily eclipses the newer IHC versions for decoration and paint, too.

Favorite Five Rolling Stock (NPO)

1. Bethlehem hopper – I posted about this before, but I’ll say it again: this is one of the most colorful and well-done efforts that Tyco ever released.
2. “Billboard” RailBox – With or without the silver roof, Tyco’s full-color RailBox was simply the best-painted of ANY contemporary vendor!
3. Piggybacks – See the trailer jet post? This should be no surprise.
4. Jack Frost “Old Time” boxcar – I don’t have this one, but I love the look of it. Something about it bespeaks both period modernism, and childlike innocence, at the same time.
5. Shop-Rite boxcar – as I previously posted, the bold graphics and interesting layout are truly unique among Tyco’s offerings.

Honorable Mentions:

1. Chessie and GN F9s - excellent companions to the engines above.
2. Rock Island Shark - common but nicely done
3. Coffee CenterFlows - great paint schemes with bold colors
4. B&O Timesaver 50’ boxcar (from the Electronic Sound of Steam) - an odd duck but a favorite of mine
5. Black NH 40’ Boxcar (redbox era) - I wish they'd done this on the 50-footer.
6. Certain triple-dome tanks - more for new discovery I made regarding something cool that Tyco did with these (to be disclosed at a later date)....

Alrighty - I swallowed my pride and made a list. So what are yours? [}:)]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator 

obtrey
Little Six

Malfunction Junction

Posted - February 18 2007 :  4:32:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add obtrey to Buddylist
If I had my choice of any Loco's and was still trying to collect them I would definayely keep after Pacifics, It's what my father fired ( B&O )and I really liked the details, nothing else motorized tickled my fancy more than a Pacific.

I really liked the Billboard Box cars and wouldn't be able to decide which would be my favorites, I did like the colors on the CF Hoppers but again none would be considered a favorite. Nothing looked better than a whole string of Billboard box cars or CF hoppers going round and round behind a B&O or Chessie Pacific.

Bob

In Malfunction Junction:
When all else fails get a bigger hammer.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: January 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 05 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 18 2007 :  4:50:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Most fave 5 Loco's

1) Phase 1 (Rivarossi powered) Super 630 D&H

2) Phase 1 (Rivarossi powered) Super 630 Santa Fe

3) Phase 1 (Rivarossi powered) Super 630 ICG

4) Phase 1 (Rivarossi powered) Super 630 Chessie

5) Red Box PRR 430

Why?, Because THEY ARE ALCO"S!!!!![;)] [;)] [;)] [;)] [;)] [;)] and because they DON"T have PT powerplants (Oxymoron!)

To date no favourite cars. I don't collect them.

-G.

Edited by - romcat on February 18 2007 5:11:46 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 18 2007 :  5:13:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
My five Fav locos...

1. Canadiana C430...My first Tyco loco and one of the coolest paint schemes Tyco ever did.

2. Turbo Train Engine...I don't know which turbo train engine is the coolest, they all look awesome to me.

3. CN C430...The long black body with the red front and back looks awesome.

4. Canadiana Shark...the "red striped shark"...of course I had to put this one on my list.

5. A-team Sharknose...just cuz it looks cool.

Fav cars...

1. CN streamliners...the black and white paint looks awesome.

2. Amtrak Phase II Streamliners...I luv Tyco's streamliners, and these ones look awesome.

3. Canadiana Boxcar...cuz its canadiana[:D]

4. Canadiana Caboose...same as my last reason...

5. Canada Dry Gingerale...Iono...the white, green and red just looks cool.

Ok, so those are my favourite Tyco cars and engines. Lots of Canadian stuff, I know, but I luv CN's paint schemes, and the Canadiana paint scheme.

-cheez

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - February 18 2007 :  6:11:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Locomotives...

1. # 241 0-4-0 diesel 1955 Plymouth...
I added flat black and red paint... I love that Tyco growl!

2. # 3, 4-6-0 BLW steam Western & Atlantic 1800...
I added a tuffed of cotton to the smoke stack and cylinders, it looks great pulling my MDC CN 1800 coaches.

3. # 377 FP-9 EMD diesel GREAT NORTHERN MANTUA/TYCO No.T224P...
Blaring headlight, where it's supposed to be (unlike Athearn's F's.) Also has a nice ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound!

4. # 4301 M-430 MLW diesel Canadian National TYCO Canadiana No.235-45...
Well, I live up here, now.

5. The little behemoth! 0-6-0T oil steam locomotive MANTUA... "Lil Six"
Well, I have Only 5 (4 Tyco + 1 Mantua.) locomotives in this group... but this little beast tank engine is short in length, only. It's great in hauling! Plus, my 3 1/2 yr. old daughter said it looked like a cousin to Thomas.

Freight cars... hmmm...

1. # 1038 Box Reefer ib wood 40' HERX TYCO 1929 HERSHEYS mihk
Those billboard reefers are so sharp for taste...

2. Box Reefer ib curved roof wood 40' CGLX TYCO 1924 Chicklets...
Ever seen this one? Almost a plain-Jane... no numbers, just the Chicklets emblem... far as anyone could guess, it could be shipping baby chickens.

3. # 484 Box Reefer ib wood 40' HJH TYCO 1945 Heinz...
Looks great when sitting next to Athearns pickle car in a train.

4. # 93391 Box Reefer ib wood 36' URTX TYCO 1929 Schlitz mihk
Well, it's another reefer of a habit I just cant quit... safe, too.

5. 'Nother No #'d car Tank cyl 1 dm steel CCTX TYCO 1968 Coca Cola
I added handrailing and Kadees... it's really the shine...
imagine if the food cars came with a scent according to what it carried?

John

I was gonna say my Tyco CN Streamliner Lighted Coach, but it's being shipped to Mr. DaCheez! They are solid cars.

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on April 27 2007 03:31:02 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - February 18 2007 :  6:34:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Great Topic!

Don't think it'll surprise too many that my favorite TYCO loco is the 1982 release Gulf Mobile & Ohio GP-20...

1. GM&O GP20
Probably my favorite railroad, I grew up in a small town in Illinois on the GM&O's line to Kansas City.
2. prototype Illinois Central Super630
I remember when TYCO's 1973-74 catalog came out and seeing that IC Century 630 then and wanting one...I still want one! Though I've had to make do with the ICG examples that TYCO actually did make.
3. Rocky Mountain Lines - Comin' Round the Mountain SD24
Of TYCO's fantasy roads, I always liked the RML scheme and thought it looked good on the SD24 model.

4. Cotton Belt F-9A
Great paint job from TYCO, as are most of those odd early '80s releases like it, this is one loco that I used to get the most e-mails on..."Does It Really Exist?"...Yes it sure does.
5. New Haven GG1
Another one of those great early '80s TYCO paint jobs...shame TYCO took such a sad turn by the mid 1980s...whoever was picking the roads when the NH GG1 was new was doing some cool stuff. The McGinnis New Haven scheme looks great on the shorty GG1.

Honorable Mention goes to the 1976 freight warbonnet Santa Fe GP20 that probably doesn't exist beyond the example found in the catalog...

Favorite Freight Cars...

1. TYCO 50th Anniversary Box Car
What's not to like about a box car dressed in TYCO's brown box color scheme? A true TYCO classic. Wonder if I could get Kadee to do a run of their 50' box cars in this scheme???
2. Illinois Central Gulf 40' Baby Hi-Cube Box Car
A home road favorite here, the big ICG herald on the 40' hi-cube looks great...too bad ICG didn't stay as well kept as this car looks.
3. Union Pacific 62' Hi-Cube Box Car
This is one TYCO car I used to see at the serious hobby shops and one that always got attention from the serious hobbyists back when it was new. The UP paint job is great and it's a neat car. I bought one each of all the IHC re-issues of this 62' Hi-Cube when they came out some years ago.
4. prototype Nabisco OREO Cookies 62' Box Car
Sure if it was as common as the Sara Lee box I probably wouldn't care, but you can't page through that catalog with the prototypes and not wish you had one of 'em.
5. Alaska Railroad 50' Plug Door
Very simply box car red with white lettering 50', but I think it's a great looking car none the less.

[}:)]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - February 18 2007 :  7:30:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Because my brain is in standby mode,here is a short list.

1. Any Tyco loco that runs well,this is usually MU-2 diesels,but I have a handful of PT motors that run good.

2. New Haven C430. I passed on one at a show for $15.00 last year.
Kicking myself now for not buying it. Doh!

3.Any chrome Tyco items be it Silver Streak C430,Tankcars,or Streamliners. They all look good to me.

4.The little trolleys. Thay are so uh..cute.

5.Any of the Billboard cars. I like advertising stuff. Very colorful stuff.

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - February 18 2007 :  10:27:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
My Favorites Of TYCO:

LOCOMOTIVES

1 = Silver streak locomotive and matching caboose

2 = Golden Eagle 630 w caboose

3 = Royale Blue smoking loco

4 = Rock Island Shark nose

5 = Virginian alco 430

FREIGHT CARS

1 = Tyco chrome shell tankers being pulled by my silver streak

2 = Tyco billboard hoppers=Maxwell House-Sanka-Domino Sugar-Old Dutch cleanser-1st version

3 = Tyco Blue Coal hoppers

4 = Tyco operating Virginian cars

5 = Tyco trailer flats

Accessories

1 = Tyco operating conveyer loader

2 = Tyco operating piggyback loader / unloader

3 = Tyco alternating crossing flasher w bell

4 = Tyco Operating Mail car

5 = Tyco BN search light car

Structures

1 = Tyco center street series

2 = Tyco Contemporary series

3 = Tyco Arlee station

4 = Tyco Rico station

5= Tyco union 76 gas station-classic

Tyco Lights

1 = Blinking microwave tower

2 = Mercury street lights

3 = 4 light flood light tower
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - February 19 2007 :  12:22:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Wow - some great responses! Keep 'em coming! [Yeah!]

Cheez - Agreed on the A-Team. AND on the Canada Dry - although the beverage tastes better (so I've been told) [:P]

quote:

2. Box Reefer ib curved roof wood 40' CGLX TYCO 1924 Chicklets...
Ever seen this one?

3. # 484 Box Reefer ib wood 40' HJH TYCO 1945 Heinz...
Looks great when sitting next to Athearns pickle car in a train.

4. # 93391 Box Reefer ib wood 36' URTX TYCO 1929 Schlitz
Originally posted by zebrails - February 18 2007 : 5:11:00 PM

- I think I've seen a Chicklets car, but didn;t think it was Tyco?

- I like the pickle car idea. I think of pickle cars, and I think of my most cherished hildhood book, Richard Scary's "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go", with that funny pickle tanker - leaking pickles all over the road no less (sorry for veering off topic)

quote:

4. Cotton Belt F-9A
Great paint job from TYCO, as are most of those odd early '80s releases like it, this is one loco that I used to get the most e-mails on..."Does It Really Exist?"...Yes it sure does.

4. prototype Nabisco OREO Cookies 62' Box Car

5. Alaska Railroad 50' Plug Door
Very simply box car red with white lettering 50', but I think it's a great looking car none the less.
Originally posted by Tony Cook - February 18 2007 : 5:34:09 PM

Nice shot of the SSW F7/9. I see they managed to connect the orange stripes on the nose, unlike the similar Daylight SP Sharks.

Oreos, eh? I needs to get me mitts on some spare 62' boxcars... [;)]

100% agreed on the Alaska car. One of their nice prototype efforts.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 19 2007 :  07:28:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Tyco Mantua Motive Power
1. MU-2 powered SF C430 Alco Century, the one that started it all for me.

2. B&O F-9, 283, MU-2 powered

3. D&H Super 630, any Phase

4. Diecast PRR Shark

5. Mantua MU-2, C430, PC, with 5628 on cab and numberboards
PS: I like the slow speed Mantua growl also!

Rolling Stock
1. Lighted Caboose SF

2. Chrome Shell Tanker

3. Any opperating hopper

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on March 04 2007 6:29:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Rush2NY
Little Six

Posted - February 19 2007 :  2:24:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Rush2NY to Buddylist
You are right about there being so much stuff to pick from. I will say that the following appeals to me:

Locomotives:

1. Santa Fe F9. (First Tyco I ever owned back in 1976/77)

2. PRR GG1

3. Spirit of America C430

4. A-team Plymouth Switcher (Had a lot of fun with that one)

5. Chatanooga Choo-Choo 0-6-0

Rolling Stock:

1. New Haven plug side boxcar

2. Ralston Purina reefer (my gramps gave me one way back when from is personal collection)

3. Baby Ruth reefer

4. Virginian gondola

5. The lighted Santa-fe Coach/combine and observation that I had with my original SF F9

Favorite Tyco Accessory:
(Had to add this category)

1. The sawmill/log car set

2. Intermodal ramp

3. The bumper tracks with the red lights on them

4. The warehouse with forklift set

5. The figure 8 expansion set

Russ
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 100  ~  Member Since: June 18 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 01 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Steel Hauler
Switcher

Steel Hauler

Posted - February 20 2007 :  6:16:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Steel Hauler to Buddylist
Favorite locos:

1) Three way tie: The Alco 630, Alco 430 and GP-20 version of the ICG

2) My old Alco 430 Santa Fe, my very first train

3) Santa Fe switcher

4) Rock Island Shark Nose

5) Burlington Northern E-7

I owned all of them at one time or another. I still have the ICG's
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 38  ~  Member Since: November 19 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 19 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

FreshFish
Switcher

Posted - February 20 2007 :  10:10:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add FreshFish to Buddylist
F Unit Santa Fe SuperChief
SD 24 UnionPacific
Alco Super 630 IllinoisCentralGulf
All with cabooses

40' Cars - Baby Ruth, Texaco Tanker, B&0 Highcube...

All 25yrs or older... .
IAMFISH.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 33  ~  Member Since: January 28 2007  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

meverett
Switcher

Posted - February 21 2007 :  01:24:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add meverett to Buddylist
1. Santa Fe Shark nose: the cool 222 model is awesome.
2. Super Spirit 1776 Alco 630: Twin lights and long smooth look.
3. Main Street of the Northwest: If only I could find this 222-72 engine. The Shark nose line is my all time favorite.
4. Chattanooga Choo-Choo 2-8-0: What a Christmas I had in 1975 with this train.
5. Soo Line Alco 430: I just like the way it looks.

Rolling stock
1. TYCO Anniversary364- Box Car : Nice looking memory
2. Bicentennial box cars: Great colors
3. Gulf Triple dome: very long and neat looking.
4. All Cabooses: Seen a train last week in Clovis running a Burlington caboose.
5. Santa Fe Passenger cars: Fast and streamline.

mmbanner
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: February 13 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2009 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

detroitterminal
Switcher

Posted - February 22 2007 :  04:52:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add detroitterminal to Buddylist
A great and challenging question! Admittedly, my "five favorite" will change from time to time, but I'm willing to go on the record with these for right now.

Favorite Locomotives

1. Canadian National "zebra striped" F-9
Tyco basically got the essence of a CN locomotive with this model. The design and colors closely matched the prototype, making a believable model with (at the time) an attractive price. Plus, has any other Tyco locomotive been available with four road numbers (4316, 4751, 5628 and 6536) during the life of its production? At least one batch of 5628's came with numbers in the numberboards.

2. New York Central GP20
As Tyco's initial version had no dynamic brakes, only the NYC version was prototypical. Again, Tyco's paint scheme closely matched the prototype, even attempting and succeeding in replicating. the Art Deco font lettering.

3. Canadian Pacific (Maroon and Gray) F9
Another example of Tyco doing justice to a prototypical paint scheme. If only Tyco would have put as much care into their rendition of the CP Rail version.

4. Canadian National GP20
While the CN had no GP20's the quality of the paint scheme made it representative of a "wet noodle" hood unit.

5. Canadian National C430
For the much the same reason as #4.

Rolling Stock

1. Penn Central 40' Boxcar
Quite simply, one of the best renditions of a paint scheme Tyco ever did. For the money, no HO boxcar caught the essence (That word again.) of a PC boxcar like Tyco's. This leaves a vexing mystery: While Tyco seemed determined to issue almost everything lettered Penn Central in green plastic, (They lost a lot of sales to me with the fantasy green locomotives.) why didn't they use green plastic/paint for their PC caboose?!? The one other model where green would have been prototypical, they choose boxcar red for the caboose! Granted, the PC may have done some cabooses "on the cheap" and slapped on Penn Central lettering, but the vast majority of cabooses were green and Tyco's model was (loosely) based on a Pennsylvania waycar at that!

2. Operating ore dump car
Lest I come off as an unrepentant "rivet counter," I also like animation on my layout and unloading a string of these cars at a power plant is a lot of fun! Also, I like to improve these cars by plucking brakestands from surplus cabooses and transplanting them to the cavities on these cars the way they were designed to be!

3. Penn Central passenger cars
Given the chaotic way PC painted their passenger cars, Tyco's versions are plausible. With their New Haven heritage, some Penn Central cars did have a green window-stripe.

4. Canadian National passenger cars
A sentimental favorite as seeing these cars behind zebra striped "F9's" brings back memories of watching CN passenger trains in the early 1970's. I'll concede that stainless steel cars probably wouldn't have been painted over like Tyco did and Tyco's lettering is too generic. Canadian National did have Rapido named trains, though...

5. Skid flat with pipe load
Hey, sometimes it's just fun to watch a string of pipe cars rolling along. Even my wife gets a kick out of seeing them!

Honorable Mention

I don't know if these qualify as Locomotives or Rolling Stock, but the dummy "F9" B units in zebra striped Canadian National and maroon and gray Canadian Pacific liveries complemented the A units nicely.

Thanks again for a great topic!

Edited by - detroitterminal on July 10 2013 08:36:48 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 81  ~  Member Since: March 14 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 04 2007 :  12:15:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
These picks will probably cross into the red box Mantua-Tyco era but so has my collecting. [:D]

Locomotives;

1 - NYC Sharknose
2- Rio Grande SD24
3- CNW F7, 3, 9 or whatever. Beautiful engine.
4- PRR Black GG1
5- Crescent Limited Pacific

Rolling Stock;

1- Maxwell House Centerflow
2- Trailer Train Auto Carrier
3- Santa Fe Shock Control 40' Box
4- Reading Hopper
5- Unloading Mail Car
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scmich
Little Six

Posted - March 07 2007 :  5:00:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
This was hard.....
having racked my brain I finally decided my favorites are mostly linked to my childhood trains which included some of the non-prototypical, but brilliantly decorated Tyco. I have an asterisk* marking trains I had as a kid in the 70's. (I still have them all, and they were the core of my collection, til i started collecting more avidly a few years ago)

For Rolling stock, my interest was strongly rooted in the 50ft billboard cars, for their great graphics

#1 Railbox w/ Silver Roof & black doors *
#2 Maxwell House 50ft Boxcar
#3 Canadiana 50ft Boxcar *
#4 Old Spice 50 ft Boxcar *
#5 Arm & Hammer 50 Ft Boxcar

Hon Men - Bubble Yum and Coca Cola 50 footers

Other Rolling Stock that should be included:
DuPont Chemical Car
S.O.S. 62ft
Bethlehem Steel hopper

favorite Locomotives

#1 (by a mile) Alco 430 Rock Island *
#2 Alco 430 Virginian
#3 Amtrak F9 *
#4 F9 Canadian VIA Rail (lt blue & yellow) Don't have this one, but will someday
#5 F9 A&A Twin Diesel Spirit of 76

Whew. I feel that I have slighted so many other contenders. But unlike the Acadamey Awards, where if your not a winner you go home a loser, all my Tycos are winners. (except for maybe that lame Transformers set)

Time for a drink.

Scott
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 120  ~  Member Since: October 26 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jef
Switcher

Posted - April 25 2007 :  2:16:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jef to Buddylist
Hello
My favorite is the Tyco Turbo train By the way can anyone tell me what its worth in still new condition and never been opened?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: April 25 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2007 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - April 25 2007 :  6:45:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Mine would have to be;

1. the tuscan Pennsy GG1...those GG1s are as ugly as sin on a plate[;)]
2. the Amtrak GG1...see 1, that it has the Amcrash scheme makes all the uglier[;)]
3. the ICG or 1776 Super 630...just a pretty pair of beasts.
4. the older metal railed 1776 430...probably the last serious piece of work Tyco put out...sigh
5. the Pennsy F9...it's Pennsy, of course....

...of which I own the Pennsy F9 and GG1 and the 1776 430.

As for the rolling stock, any of the fantasy center-flow hoppers or 6 axle tankers....a very colorful array that sharply contrasts with my carefully weathered scale work.

Thanks to you folks, my Tyco is moving up the display chain from boxed memories to a place on my 8' x 2' display case.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - April 25 2007 :  10:04:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Hello
My favorite is the Tyco Turbo train By the way can anyone tell me what its worth in still new condition and never been opened?

Originally posted by jef - April 25 2007 :  2:16:33 PM

Hi Jef,

Please post more info about this in the appropriate forum called identification station. You'll get answers there. There were many different Turbo Trains so be specific, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Thanks,

Todd
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 08 2011 :  11:20:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
1 Switcher-CP Rail Yellow!
2 Switcher-CP Rail Red/White!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 08 2011 :  11:22:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Slip Of Me Finger. Back To The List.
3 SO76 potus
4 SOO line Caboose
5 BN Boxcar(Just Cause Its So Common)

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - July 20 2012 :  2:14:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Hey guys, if you don’t mind I am going to revive this oldie.

Favorite Five Locomotives in order:

1. NH GG-1- The paint scheme is so tight and very pleasing to look at. Every year for Halloween I take them out and put them on my desk. Even though this is more or less a “Fantasy” (as some call it), I still say TYCO made the best GG-1.

2. Chessie SD24 – The Chessie paint schemes run a close 2nd to Southern Pacific’s (The Daylight), and since I love all SD24’s almost as much as I do GG-1’s, it's a solid 2nd.

3. D&H ALCO Super 630 – The D&H locomotives have a super sweet paint job; I love the way the light blue and grey look together. When I first got my D&H super 630 I couldn’t stop smiling, I had wanted one so bad and now it was right in front of me.

4. Milwaukee Road E7 - So sleek, so shiny, and so sweet! This is one of the few I rarely take out the box for fear of getting a scratch on it. There is no reason why this should not be in everyone’s top ten.

5. PPR “Black Jack” GG-1 – This is the perfect black shiny locomotive. I absolutely love the way this locomotive looks, I call it “The Low Rider of trains”.

Honorable Mention:
Chessie 4-6-2 steamer – Just so sweet to look at!

Favorite Five Rolling Stock

1. Tulnoy Lumber 50’ plug door box car – I got this a few months ago after arguing with the store owner who despised TYCO trains; I kept telling him it wasn’t a TYCO and his reply was “It’s never been out the box”! I went home and looked this new web site I had just discovered; “The infamous Tony L’s site. That night was the longest of my life; I was hoping it was still the next day which it was. The one thing about this car is, if you look at the boy who is getting a spanked, his butt is showing. TYCO could have gotten away with that in the 70’s, but I guarantee you this car would be pulled off the shelf today.

2. Derrick cars – The only one on either list of favorites that I had to classify as a group. They are so cool to look because they are just so different. Of all of my cars, the derricks are the ones I get the most comments on, everyone want to touch the derrick.

3. The animated Brakeman box car – This one seems more like a Lionel than a TYCO, but it’s a very cool car. The only thing harder than finding one intact with the brakeman is figuring out how to loop the rubber bands.

4. Canadiana 50’ plug door box car – This is just a pretty box car; I received this as a gift from my wife for father’s day, so it also has a sentimental meaning.

5. Westinghouse 50’ plug door box car – Don’t ask me why this made the list, but I love looking at this box car. This is one of a select few I have out of the box just to look at. I plan on getting 4 more and run a Westinghouse consist with my 4-6-2 Royal Blue.

Honorable Mention:

Dots 50’ plug door box car – A pretty box car.

Tide Covered Hopper – I just wish I had one, nuff said!!

Edited by - GG-1 Guy on June 29 2013 09:09:59 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 20 2012 :  3:11:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I'll play!

My favorites tend toward the western fantasy schemes, but I like others as well.

1) Rock Mountain Line SD24. I happen to be working on a pair of these right now, replacing armatures with CD motors. I was imagining these SD24s in the Rocky Mountains pulling long trains of finished wood products, or perhaps Montana coal. But now I've changed my thinking and I'll be making a tourist train similar to the Rocky Mountaineer, with Tyco Budd cars of course. However, I might need to throw in a Like Like shorty Budd dome to attract more riders

2) Kansas Durango Colorado GP20. Obviously in cattle train service with those great looking stock cars. I plan to give trackage rights on my Redwoods and Pacific RR to the Durango so that a pair of these locos can deliver strings of stock cars to the meat packing facility.

3) Pine Hill Lumber gondola. I have a couple lumber mills on the layout and one of these will be Pine Hill. The Pine Hill will need a loco, and so I'm planning on painting an SD24. I suppose I should paint a streamlined caboose while I'm at it, just for the sake ok completeness.

4) LNP&W "Laramie" Stock car. Weird colors, but I like the old west sentiment. I'll be decaling a 2-8-0 for the LNP&W (they actually ran small 2-8-2s)

5) Western Pacific GP20. The WP is one of my favorite RRs and I can't conclude this list without mentioning it.

- Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - July 21 2012 :  01:25:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
i have 5 tyco engines and a ton of rolling stock but does mantua count?
I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - July 21 2012 :  1:24:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Yes, Mantua definatly counts!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - July 21 2012 :  2:38:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Limited to Tyco Brown Box Era

Locomotives:..........................they are all striking

GM&O 2-8-0
Viva F-9
GM&O GP-20
NP Shark
Rio Grande SD-24

Rolling Stock:.........................all have great graphics

Pepsi 62' Box Car
Coke 50' Box Car
D&H Yellow Caboose
Bud 40' Woodside Reefer
50th Annivarsary Box Car (version with the gold lettering and gold trucks)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 29 2013 :  11:52:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Jerry's Five Favorite Tyco/Mantua rolling stock pieces are :

#1 - The Auto-loader with 1968 AMX and Camaro cars ( because of the AMXs, of course )

#2 - Hershey's boxcar ( because if Chocolate isn't #1, it's gotta be right behind whatever is!

#3 - Flatcar with 3 trucks on it

#4 - Flat with BN trailers

#5 - Spotlight caboose

My Five Favorite Engines are :

#1 - Mantua T-227 diesel switcher

#2 - Tyco GG1

#3 - Tyco Shark

#4 - Chessie 4-6-2 steam engine

#5 - Tyco Turbo Train

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blackstone1
Switcher

ThomasAvatar

Posted - July 03 2013 :  2:14:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blackstone1 to Buddylist
Favorite Engines
1. Bachmann N&W J Class
2. Lifelike 0-4-0, the teakettle variant
3. IHC 2-8-2, preferably the Southern 4501
4. Tyco 0-8-0
5. Athern F7
Dont have any favorite cars yet
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 91  ~  Member Since: February 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: September 09 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - July 05 2013 :  4:01:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
5 Engines:

GM&O 2-8-0

So76 C630

A&W 4-6-0

Black GG-1

Chessie 4-6-2

Cars:

Milky Way Reefer

Dairymen's League Reefer

PRR searchlight car

Streamlined and lit coaches

Flat Cars with the loads

Misc:

Piggy Back electric unloader/loader

Log Loader

Unloading Box Car

Coal Ramp style Dumper

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 05 2013 :  5:27:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
freight cars:
ANYTHING that is a billboad/ad cars!
Strealined cabooses! (need the Durango one! grrr)

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 05 2013 :  8:16:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
freight cars:
ANYTHING that is a billboad/ad cars!
Strealined cabooses! (need the Durango one! grrr)

Originally posted by microbusss - July 05 2013 :  5:27:01 PM

Ben,
*Shakes head* I recall having a Durango caboose, someplace! I'll have to look!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 05 2013 :  8:22:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
If its the searchlight caboose I already got it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 05 2013 :  8:26:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nope, the single version like your double cupola that I have painted for you.... just the normal one.....I recall seeing one in the shop I just have to locate it!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 05 2013 :  9:54:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Nope, the single version like your double cupola that I have painted for you.... just the normal one.....I recall seeing one in the shop I just have to locate it!
Originally posted by EM-1 - July 05 2013 :  8:26:51 PM

OOOOOOOOO!! giiimmiieeeee!!!!!

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 24 2019 :  11:37:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Only five items
Let me try

1) F9 Santa Fe engine
2) Main Street trolley
3) Burlington operating box car
4) GP20 Durango diesel
5) Chattanooga steam engine

That was easy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 25 2019 :  01:29:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Tyco Alco 630s
Tyco Chessie 430

Not in any particular order,
1 The AHM Woolworth box car
2 Tyco Maxwell House hopper
3 AHM Canadiana Hopper
4 Tyco Red Roof Purina Box car
5 Tyco Piggyback flats
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 25 2019 :  09:26:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
AHM Niagra Hopper
AHM Lipton Tea
Tyco Maxwell House boxcar
Tyco Coca-Cola boxcar
AHM Wonder Bread hopper

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 25 2019 :  11:06:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The Tyco Amtrak GG1
The Tyco Sanka Car
The Tyco US 1 VW Flower Power Van
The Tyco Civil War Hospital Coach
The Tyco Jurassic Park Dinosaur
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 25 2019 :  1:51:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Tyco Rock Island Century 430
Tyco Durango GP20
Tyco Jello Boxcar
Tyco D&H C630
Tyco Corn Flakes Cereal Hopper
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 25 2019 :  9:43:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
This will be easy.....

Tyco "Shark" (any kind)
Tyco "Silver Streak" C430
Tyco flat car w. culvert pipe load
Tyco Westinghouse 50' box car
Tyco Freight Unloading Depot

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - December 26 2019 :  10:14:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 26 2019 :  12:27:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by kristofer4301 - December 26 2019 :  10:14:54 AM

oh I wants these 2 hehe
Maybe the NP shark too

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 26 2019 :  7:02:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice Durango caboose, Kristofer...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 26 2019 :  7:32:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
AHM Niagra Hopper
AHM Lipton Tea
Tyco Coca-Cola boxcar
AHM Wonder Bread hopper

Originally posted by microbusss - December 25 2019 :  09:26:11 AM

These Busss?

Edited by - walt on December 26 2019 11:21:47 PM

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - December 27 2019 :  09:21:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
Nice Durango caboose, Kristofer...

Originally posted by walt - December 26 2019 :  7:02:37 PM

Thank you! DanMack (one of the admins here) really hooked me up!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 28 2019 :  12:34:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
AHM Niagra Hopper
AHM Lipton Tea
Tyco Coca-Cola boxcar
AHM Wonder Bread hopper

Originally posted by microbusss - December 25 2019 :  09:26:11 AM

These Busss?

Originally posted by walt - December 26 2019 :  7:32:36 PM

yeah but I said Maxwell House BOXCAR
already have the grain hopper

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 28 2019 :  2:08:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
There's yer BOX CAR!!!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 28 2019 :  2:55:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
There's yer BOX CAR!!!

Originally posted by walt - December 28 2019 :  2:08:41 PM

yay!
someday I with get those ones
course there are others I needs hehe

the Coke one will complete my Tyco soda pop collection

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 03 2021 :  09:59:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos. We should do the same in 2021 to update this thread.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 03 2021 :  10:20:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Nice photos. We should do the same in 2021 to update this thread.
Originally posted by wks - October 03 2021 :  09:59:26 AM

yeah cause I still on the hunt for the ones above
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: PRR K4 Slideshow Topic Next Topic: Tales of Ephrata Valley  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000