Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Tabor and Waldo RR
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Franklin & South Manchester Topic Next Topic: Minimizing derailments at switches
Page: of 3

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 01 2013 :  10:17:55 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
My layout is the Tabor and Waldo, so called because Mt. Tabor is the site of history's greatest anachronism and the location of Waldo is always in question. It's sort of a contrarian view of the recent trend toward a well-defined time and place on a layout.

The T&W is considered a subsidiary of the Malta Waldo and Pacific.

Here's a video that tracks a way freight's movements over much of the layout:
http://youtu.be/BpXrq27yjQ0

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 01 2013 :  10:31:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey what you needs is a HO figure that looks likle Waldo & hide him on your layout someplace
Great video too I likes the detail
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 01 2013 :  10:46:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Awesome layout! I love the scenery.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - October 02 2013 :  12:00:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
Love that hard working shifter!
Great layout!!

I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 02 2013 :  12:25:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice video. Looks fun to operate with interesting places to go and room to switch cars around. You put that 0-6-0 through it's paces. I've got one about like that and it's one of my favorites.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 02 2013 :  10:37:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Beautiful layout, well done.

-Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 02 2013 :  10:52:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi scsshaggy wow love that scenery,those trees look awesome,how big is that layout,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GPA_Andy
Switcher

Posted - October 02 2013 :  12:59:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GPA_Andy to Buddylist
yes that is one nice layout one of these days I hope to do half as good
Andy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 35  ~  Member Since: June 30 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 02 2013 :  3:16:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

Ken, the layout is "L" shaped with the longest side being 9.5 feet. That leg is 4 feet wide. The shorter leg is about 6.5 feet long by about 5 feet 9 inches wide.

The trees are the seed head of a weed called goldenrod. In the winter it's all dried out and the end can be dipped in green paint, making for such inexpensive trees that you can use lots of them, and if they're damaged, they're cheaply replaced.

Barry and SCVR66,

There are two 0-6-0's and they're the backbone of the railroad in terms of hours worked. They fit well in the yard and have good electrical pickup over all the switches and insulated frogs. They've been modified to pick up on all drivers and two wheels on each rail from the tender. They have the metal boilers for decent traction on the 5%+ mainline grade and upgraded motor magnets to keep them from lurching downhill.

Two small mainline trains (passenger and unit tank car) run behind Mantua Prairies with metal boilers and the same electrical and motor modifications. It's really the same basic machine and very well suited to my purposes.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 02 2013 :  3:55:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Don,
DCC or old Analog? It looks like its Analog but, that can be fooling....GREAT layout! That first 2 or 3 minutes with the loco going along the "cliff" would have been great for a ole Mantua 2-6-6-2!!!!!!!

GREAT work, I like how you shortened the TYCO Sanding tower and bin! And I'm going to do, just the opposite, mine is going to be 2 kits in size!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 03 2013 :  01:15:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Don,
DCC or old Analog?
Originally posted by EM-1 - October 02 2013 :  3:55:06 PM

Analog

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 03 2013 :  07:09:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Don,
Awesome, none the less! My layout is going to be "mixed" outside main, is going to DCC, & Analog on a knife switch. Inside mainline is going to be Analog, and nothing else.....All in good time tho, I'm still building.....

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 03 2013 :  08:36:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Don,
Awesome, none the less! My layout is going to be "mixed" outside main, is going to DCC, & Analog on a knife switch. Inside mainline is going to be Analog, and nothing else.....All in good time tho, I'm still building.....

Originally posted by EM-1 - October 03 2013 :  07:09:57 AM

I love the juxtaposition of technologies (DCC and knife switch). It's a little like Flash Gordon with his rocket ship, ray gun, and ... sword. One of the things that bothers me a little on Star Trek is the seeming lack of anything low-tech. I think that, even in a world of warp drive and transporters, there would still be hammers.

Carpe Manana!

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 03 2013 :  11:14:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Don,
Absolutely.....See, my layout, I have 2, (YES TWO) DCC locomotives, the new Bachmann Spectrum EM-1, B&O 2-8-8-4, as seen in the SOTW...AND a MTH CSX SD70ACe. SO, to have that type control, I need a simple DCC system.....BUT, to keep from killing the DCC system, the knife switch, is the only way to be safe! Open it will work, closed its impossible (Open & closed circuits) So the DCC system will work.....Plus, I'm adding in diodes in-line with the analog system to prevent back feed into the DCC system.....

~John

RBNicholson
Switcher

Posted - October 03 2013 :  11:16:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RBNicholson to Buddylist
[quote]Thanks to all of you for the kind words.
The trees are the seed head of a weed called goldenrod. In the winter it's all dried out and the end can be dipped in green paint, making for such inexpensive trees that you can use lots of them, and if they're damaged, they're cheaply replaced.

Shaggy:

You must live close to my neck of the woods. I have used Goldenrod extensively (but not extensively enough, by any means) on my S scale layout. Right now, things are in a holding pattern while I try to rebuild a Bachmann 4-4-0.

RBNicholson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: September 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 03 2013 :  12:54:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Shaggy, that's a really beautiful layout. I love your scenery and rock work. As I was watching I couldn't help imagining what it would look like as a narrow gauge mining route. Some Bachmann On30 equipment would look right at home, assuming the bridge & tunnel clearances are adequate. You could make it two layouts in one by having two sets of rolling stock & structures (not that I'm trying to start anything, lol ).

The Tyco shifters are simple and reliable, once the pickup is improved, and look good doing their chores. If you want better low speed performance from the original motor, a cheap option is to do a neodymium magnet replacement. I was surprised that it made mine run as as steady as it would with a can motor.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 03 2013 :  4:22:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Nelson,

First, thanks for the kind words. The rockwork is stacked limestone. The individual rocks are blended together with clay from the bottom of a creek. While the clay is still wet, I flame it with a blow torch. This causes it to crust over, then the thin crust explodes off leaving a texture much like the limestone. Obviously, care must be taken to keep things that melt or burn out of the flame and to keep your face and especially your eyes out of all the popping clay fragments. By the way, the biggest cliff is shored up underneath with 4"x4" timbers.

You probably noticed that there is a steep grade on the mainline. Any of the little 0-6-0, 2-6-2, or 0-4-0 mechanisms that work the hill have been upgraded to neodymium magnets. When a train goes downhill, all of its coasting force shoves the teeth of the axle gear against the worm like the calipers on a disk brake. Because the throttle is set very low to control speed, there's very little power to overcome that force and the engine can jerk to a stop. The improved torque from the more powerful magnets is enough to overcome this problem. The lower starting speeds and lower current draw are side improvements that I gratefully accept.

Shaggy

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on October 03 2013 4:24:05 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 04 2013 :  4:58:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Never mind my advice then, since you already know that trick. Interesting technique with the clay. That's something I've never heard of, and certainly would never have thought of on my own, despite what's in my avatar.
The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on October 04 2013 4:59:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 21 2013 :  11:45:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Here are some still shots, recently taken around the layout:
In the little town of Batey Hollow, The T&W interchanges coal with the Diggin Hill and Batey Hollow RR. There's also crude oil being loaded onto tank cars, a team track and an LCL freight house.

Tabor is a farm town with a fuel dealer, grain elevator, freight house and retail business.

An old grain truck weighs in with a load of corn.

Here's the town's reason to be.

When in doubt, read the directions:

Leaving Tabor, a tank car train creeps through a cut and clings to the top of a cliff, high above Batey Hollow:

Waldo Yard handles this end of the railroad empire and is ably served by two Big Sixes and a Shifter. They, in turn, are served by this engine service area.

Carpe Manana!

yellowiron
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - October 21 2013 :  12:15:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add yellowiron to Buddylist
Very Impressive Don.
You are a true craftsman,love your work..
Mike

I don't always model,but when I do it's in HO,
Stay enthused my friend's...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 71  ~  Member Since: October 07 2013  ~  Last Visit: September 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 21 2013 :  12:19:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Excellent craftwork and excellent photography as well. Truly a joy to look at.

- Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 21 2013 :  3:02:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real cool
I likes the signage Where did you get them?
"tractors with lugs prohibitited" What do that mean?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 21 2013 :  7:36:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

Ben,

The signs are mostly from a set of Bar Mills old fashioned signs.
"Tractors with lugs prohibited" refers to the big cleats on the wheels of the tractor in the picture. Early in the history of tractors and again in WWII when rubber was scarce, tractors had steel wheels with lugs on them for traction. Those are hard on roads, especially paved ones, so I assume some towns prohibited them on the city streets.

I wonder if anyone had only lug-wheeled tractors and no horses nor tractors with tires nor a truck that could pull a grain wagon. It could make it hard to get the grain to the elevator.

Carpe Manana!

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 21 2013 :  7:50:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Don,
Hell, you kidding me? Those wheels were even hard on dirt roads that were regularly "graded" in town which even if there were no paved roads those type tractors were ment to stay out..... They acted as rototillers when in motion......Which in the days of dirt roads, made it VERY dangerous for horses, and old wagons with wooden spoke wheels as the divot let into the road would be detrimental to the wheel as well as breaking a horses leg if got into one like a human walking and there foot just so happened to come across a prairie dog hole in a field.

~John

Edited by - EM-1 on October 21 2013 7:51:10 PM

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 21 2013 :  10:11:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Cool layout. I dig the vintage. Great trucks and automobiles. Great whole thing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 21 2013 :  10:24:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh yeah Even I shoulda known that Living out here in sugar beet, farm & cattle country Nebraska
I has seen those tractors with cleets with thick old rubber tires mounted between the cleets

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 21 2013 :  11:10:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Sometimes, people remove the cleats, entirely, and bolt on the tread from an old tractor tire. I've seen that at antique tractor shows. I don't know if it's practical for farming.
Carpe Manana!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 21 2013 :  11:14:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Don,
Hell, you kidding me? Those wheels were even hard on dirt roads that were regularly "graded" in town which even if there were no paved roads those type tractors were ment to stay out..... They acted as rototillers when in motion......Which in the days of dirt roads, made it VERY dangerous for horses, and old wagons with wooden spoke wheels as the divot let into the road would be detrimental to the wheel as well as breaking a horses leg if got into one like a human walking and there foot just so happened to come across a prairie dog hole in a field.

Originally posted by EM-1 - October 21 2013 :  7:50:08 PM

I've only ever seen the tracks they leave behind on hard-packed soil in the summer. I would bet, though, that if you drove one after a big rain or when the frost is coming out of the ground, the holes would be all you say and more.

Carpe Manana!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 18 2013 :  9:34:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Here's another video shot on the layout. It is a random assortment of mainline trains, some which are part of normal operations and some that are just run for the fun of it on occasion. http://youtu.be/4VLXy5kw5is
Carpe Manana!

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 19 2013 :  08:46:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i can only think of one word,brilliant,great detail love it ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 19 2013 :  11:12:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
This is like going to school Don; seeing how you've done things. The way the rail crossing and road signs are planted in the ground is really life-like. Say, if you ever have the time and the notion, it would be great to see a photo story on how you change out the magnets in a locomotive for better performance. Thanks again for the video and the stills Don. Barry

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 19 2013 :  7:57:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Thanks for the kind words, Ken and Barry.

Barry, check out the "magnets" thread posted in "Customizing and Kitbashing."
There's a link posted, there, to an older thread that does a great job of explaining magnet upgrades.

Carpe Manana!

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 27 2014 :  01:01:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Beautiful layout with meticulous detailing and varied train equipment. A joy to watch.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 27 2014 :  04:02:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
My layout is the Tabor and Waldo, so called because Mt. Tabor is the site of history's greatest anachronism and the location of Waldo is always in question. It's sort of a contrarian view of the recent trend toward a well-defined time and place on a layout.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - October 01 2013 :  10:17:55 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 27 2014 :  04:04:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:

Richly satisfying to watch. The scenery dominated the trains. The foliage is the most unique and unusual I have seen. Whether by accident or design, the lighting had a special dappling effect that made me feel like I was in a hot summer's day watching this chunky old switcher wobbling slightly, as it muscled about its deliveries. Outstanding work!

JMcNeal
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 27 2014 :  4:36:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
The scenery dominated the trains. The foliage is the most unique and unusual I have seen. Whether by accident or design, the lighting had a special dappling effect that made me feel like I was in a hot summer's day watching this chunky old switcher wobbling slightly, as it muscled about its deliveries.
Originally posted by Chops124 - February 27 2014 :  04:04:58 AM

The layout is fairly small for what all is on it, but there is enough vertical scenery to make the scenery look bigger than life. The foliage is a weed called goldenrod, which can be picked this time of year and dipped in green paint to make trees inexpensively and in great numbers.

The dappling effect is by accident. Two light bulbs illuminate the layout, so there are more shadows than if the layout were more consistently lit by long florescent tubes or track lights. I went back and watched the video and I see what you mean and I guess it was a fortunate accident.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

Carpe Manana!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 10 2014 :  12:27:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Here's a video of a manifest freight, on my layout, dropping off and picking up cars in the yard: http://youtu.be/rlftjCxi_hc
Carpe Manana!

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - March 10 2014 :  9:22:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice video Don. I dig that double header, though I was thinking those engineers were gettin' a little heavy on the throttle along that cliff.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 10 2014 :  10:19:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Gorgeous layout. Love all the little details and how smooth that old Tyco/Mantua runs. How did you get them to run so smoothly?

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 11 2014 :  01:22:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Nice video Don. I dig that double header, though I was thinking those engineers were gettin' a little heavy on the throttle along that cliff.
Originally posted by Barry - March 10 2014 :  9:22:31 PM

This is why railroads don't want cameras, cell phones, etc. in the engineers' hands.
It's not easy to run properly and photograph at the same time.

quote:
Love all the little details and how smooth that old Tyco/Mantua runs. How did you get them to run so smoothly?
Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 10 2014 : 10:19:16 PM

Thanks. I change most of my engines to pick up power from as many wheels as I can. Most models will run pretty smoothly if they have a steady supply of power. Also the little Mantua switcher in the yard is running on pulse power. The yard throttle starts on pulse at low throttle and gradually becomes full-wave DC as the throttle increases.

Carpe Manana!

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 12 2014 :  02:04:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Double-headed Riv IHB 0-8-0's... awesome! You do have to keep a steady hand on the throttle to keep them under control, but NWSL's gear set will make them run at switcher speeds. Only problem is that the higher RPM's increase motor noise and vibration, so I repowered mine with a disk drive spindle motor as well. Runs slow and silent now.
The Tyco Depot

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 12 2014 :  08:56:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Here's a video of miscellaneous mainline action on my layout:
http://youtu.be/4VLXy5kw5is

Carpe Manana!

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 12 2014 :  1:18:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Fun video Don. I dig your work. What is that locomotive number 60? MDC?

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 12 2014 :  1:22:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Love all the little details and how smooth that old Tyco/Mantua runs. How did you get them to run so smoothly?
Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 10 2014 : 10:19:16 PM

Thanks. I change most of my engines to pick up power from as many wheels as I can. Most models will run pretty smoothly if they have a steady supply of power. Also the little Mantua switcher in the yard is running on pulse power. The yard throttle starts on pulse at low throttle and gradually becomes full-wave DC as the throttle increases.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - March 11 2014 :  01:22:05 AM

[/quote]Interesting.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 21 2014 :  2:32:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Here are some more pictures from around the layout:

This rack of tools is near where the ashes are cleaned out of the locomotives. The tools are made of phone wire and some heavy copper foil I once picked up at a store that sells surplus odds and ends. The rack is toothpicks, a match stick and some wire.

One of my team tracks has a hopper car unloading spot. This means bulk materials must be loaded in trucks and weighed. Years ago, I found a truck scale in a quarry. This is a model of that scale:

I wanted a coal retailer but big coal towers were impractical for me. In the town of Steward, IL is a coal shed where gondola cars were shoveled out into the shed, then coal was loaded into trucks out the other side. I copied the idea:

The town of Potosi, WI has a gravel quarry set back up the valley from the railroad. Gravel was trucked to a team track and dumped into rail cars off of a ramp like this one. Such a scheme generates interesting traffic while taking very little space. I also copied this idea:

Carpe Manana!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 25 2016 :  4:40:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
A pair of Prairies pulls a long manifest freight onto the Tabor and Waldo RR from its parent company, the Malta Waldo and Pacific:
https://youtu.be/Jiy343Mgnho

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on January 25 2016 4:41:22 PM

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 25 2016 :  9:45:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice video Don. You have an interesting layout. And, I was hoping to see more of that prairie you had pictured in Locomotive of the Week. Pretty cool to have 'em running in tandem.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 26 2016 :  08:56:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Thanks.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that they did pull together well. Small engines look better than big ones on small layouts, so it helps if they can be doubled up for the big jobs.

Carpe Manana!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 11 2017 :  8:55:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Coal moves on the Tabor and Waldo

Near the T&W classification yard, is a factory. It was built during WWII and the official publicity was that it made the front ends of horses to be shipped to Washington, DC for final assembly. It was rumored around the surrounding countryside that this was a cover story and the factory really made framistats, so the locals call it the framistat plant. Rumor also has it that, now in this postwar period, framistats are vital in the manufacture of jet airplanes and atomic submarines.

The framistat plant receives coal in gondola cars. The coal is unloaded by hand, with shovels into a trackside bin. Space is tight, so the coal comes in antiquated wood cars. Here, an empty sits on the house track, while a loaded car is on order:

The empty is switched out of the spur:

A way freight prepares to leave the yard with the empty car:

Passing through Tabor, the way freight picks up another empty from the Claymore Fuels coal shed:

The train rolls down grade toward Batey Hollow:

In Batey Hollow, there's a spur track that serves as an interchange between the Tabor and Waldo RR and the Diggin Hill and Batey Hollow RR. Loaded coal cars are dropped here by trains from Diggin Hill. Tabor and Waldo way freights then distribute the coal. Our way freight arrives in Batey hollow with its empty gondolas:

Empties are dropped and loads are pulled:

Our way freight prepares to leave town with two loads of coal:

Passing through Tabor again on the return trip, the way freight drops a loaded gon of coal at he coal shed:

In a classic non-labor-saving technique, coal is unloaded by shovel through hatches in the wall of the shed.

The way freight arrives in the yard with the other load of coal:

The coal has been switched to the framistat plant:

That should calm the frantic customer with the phone, lab coat and coke bottle lens glasses.

Now we have an interchange track full of empty hoppers and gondolas, but on the Diggin Hill and Batey Hollow, a train load of coal prepares to depart from Diggin Hill No. 4. Confession: The Diggin Hill and Batey Hollow is mostly just implied. It's really a hidden staging track someplace deep under the ground:

A coal train from the DH&BH rolls through the rugged countryside on its way to Batey Hollow:

Arriving in Batey Hollow, the coal train pulls the empties and drops the loads in the interchange spur:

The coal train prepares to depart on its return trip to Diggin Hill:

Each day, in cities and towns across our nation such stories are enacted over and over to bring our homes and industries coal: the power of a nation!

Carpe Manana!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 12 2017 :  11:20:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
How could I not remember. Shades of John Allen. A benchmark
creation, DH & BH.

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 12 2017 :  2:07:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
That is some gorgeous action there, and on a gorgeous layout.
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Franklin & South Manchester Topic Next Topic: Minimizing derailments at switches  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000