Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 HO Scale Slot Cars
 The Poll Position
 Thrift Store Find #3
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Thrift Store Find #4 Topic Next Topic: AFX Tomy 2 x 3 mini track finished  

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 19 2013 :  5:07:36 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
So, back at the same thrift store as my last two posts over the past year, I found yet another HO scale set! The last two sets being a Tyco and a LifeLike, this time around it was an AFX set which came home with me.

The set is from the late 80's and has three cars (not sure if any of them are original to the set). They run perfectly on the AFX track, but they don't seem to run properly on my new Tyco set-up so tinkering will be required. I can't complain though...I only paid $5 this time

cheez

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator 

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 19 2013 :  5:12:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nice find Cheez!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 19 2013 :  7:05:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Great find & purchase Cheez! Come with a pair of the old AFX Nomads! Cool!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 19 2013 :  7:25:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

Walt: They're cool looking cars for sure, with crazy paint schemes to say the least Unfortunately they're both missing their front fenders. The pink one also had an incident in my high-banked curve that involved a pretty wicked flip and jettisoning one of its pick-up shoes At least the Ferrari is in nice shape!

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 19 2013 :  8:41:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I remember the bumpers comin' off my Nomads years ago, Cheez.. But I had the intersections and the road & rail crossings on my layout. So to say my slot cars got abused was putting mildly!

I'd like to buy another pair of the AFX Nomads in the future...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 19 2013 :  10:47:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
After running my cars for a while and seeing how they shoot off the track in to walls and such, I feel like the road and rail crossing wouldn't have been too much worse for the cars. Now the trains on the other hand...

The road intersections sound like a good way to sheer off a few bumpers!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - July 19 2013 :  10:51:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Nice find...there's something about slot cars that's so appealing to me...I think it's the little mobile machine thing, I don't even have to run them to enjoy them and pick them up readily when they are cheap.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Jeepman
Little Six

GreatNorthernAvatar

Posted - July 19 2013 :  10:59:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Jeepman to Buddylist
Check the guide pin depth. Some of the earlier track had a shallow slot compared the the newer AFX.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 133  ~  Member Since: January 30 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 20 2013 :  01:18:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Nice find...there's something about slot cars that's so appealing to me...I think it's the little mobile machine thing, I don't even have to run them to enjoy them and pick them up readily when they are cheap.

It's great how small, simple, and cheap they are. Working on them is almost instant gratification because there are so few parts (compared to model trains anyway), and I don't feel bad hoarding them because they take up so little space and money

quote:
Check the guide pin depth. Some of the earlier track had a shallow slot compared the the newer AFX.

That would make sense since my Tyco track is early 70's. My LifeLike M cars have pins too wide for the slot, and the AFX pins are too long. I guess I'll be sticking with Tyco cars

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 20 2013 :  09:11:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Wow, nice score for $5! Those nomads are worth 3-4 times that each. If you need replacement parts. Johnny Lightning remade these, called JL 500's, about 7-8 years ago. They did the Nomad as well. I'm not sure how they got the old molds and rights, but the front bumper/grille should be exactly the same. They were sold as pull-back cars, but you could put the body on the Aurora slot car chassis exactly. Wal-mart sold them for $2.50 at the time. Not sure what they sell for now, I see them occasionally on Ebay. Envious, good buy!

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 20 2013 :  3:12:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
After thinking back a while, I remember what I've refered to as a pair of Nomads, as to being the AFX 57 Nomad, but the 55 is a hardtop... also by AFX.

Seems like the Nomad stayed on the track better than the 55 because it sits lower on the chassis. The 55 is raised slightly in the rear which left it being unstable in the curves.

I like both of these AFX versions and the real 55-57 cars as well..

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - February 08 2014 :  02:36:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Awesome find! Those Nomads are tight!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Thrift Store Find #4 Topic Next Topic: AFX Tomy 2 x 3 mini track finished  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000