Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 HO Scale Slot Cars
 The Poll Position
 Atomic Lake Speedway
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Favorite Slot Videos? Topic Next Topic: LifeLike Daytona 500 Nascar set
Page: of 2

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 12 2013 :  7:28:48 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey guys! I just got started on my slotcar layout in the past two weeks and thought I'd share what I'm doing.

First of all, I tore out the original section of my train layout to give myself lots of room. The initial plan is to include some Turbo Train track, so trains will still be a part of it. The slotcar track is all vintage Tycopro/Speedway track mounted to 1/4" plywood.

The scenery is going to be an other-worldly, retro-futuristic theme. It should look cool if I can pull it off

So far I have the basic framework constructed and the slotcar track fastened down to the roadbed.

I'll post more as I go

cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 12 2013 :  9:52:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Looks like you're off to a great start there. Can't wait to see what you do with it in the coming months.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 12 2013 :  10:50:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
don't forget a Grandstand & a parking lot hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 20 2013 :  9:57:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Today I completed all the wood work for the basic layout structure. The raised sections along the back and sides will be mountains/cliffs. The lower portion in the center of the track will be a lake (hence the name of the layout). The lower section at the front is probably going to be terrain of some kind, I haven't decided yet.

Next up on the to-do list is get the Turbo Train track painted and mounted. It will essentially be an elevated railway which circles the layout, overlapping the slotcar track. I'm a little worried about how much the railway will obstruct the drivers' view of the raceway, but I think it will be ok. The initial plan is to have a "pie on a stick" building in the center of the lake which will be serviced by the train. That's still a ways off though.

Here's the plywood base that will support the railway:

cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 21 2013 :  08:40:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Nice! Turbo train addition! That should be interesting. Looks like progress is being made.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 21 2013 :  6:09:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Looks like progress is being made.

Now if I can just keep it going...
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - July 22 2013 :  06:00:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Cool Cheez
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 22 2013 :  5:37:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Banked curves even Cheezy? WOW! Take your adding in "DaCheez" wif Habanero's?

Looks GREAT! I can not say how long its been since I have had an interest OR have operated a car track......I bet, its been 20 years!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 22 2013 :  9:05:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

John: Other than playing with those battery operated sets they sell at Toys R Us as a kid, I've NEVER done anything like this before. If I can tweak my cars right, and convince some of my friends to come over and race me, I think this could be a fun new experience!

Now, on to the progress of the layout. Nothing too huge today. I bought a piece of 1" dowel and had it cut to the appropriate lengths. These will be the support piers for the elevated railway. I also began spreading a thin layer of caulking on the trackbed plywood to fill in any wood grain and leave it with a smooth, concrete-like surface. The trackbed will not be ready for painting for a couple days while I finish smoothing it, but in the meantime here's a mock-up of the railway!

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - July 23 2013 :  03:08:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Cheez,

You were worried about the train(s) blocking the view of the drivers/racers...

Remember the multi-layer race track sets? Part of the challenge was that with a bird's-eye-view of the race, you gotta figure out where to slow down, especially the curves... but the blocked portions, well, you gotta practice those sections, too.

You keep running/racing while the Turbo Train rolls... and when your friends come over to race, the blocked sections are their mystery and the Turbo Train their distraction.
Remember, this is Your set. You gotta have fun!

Build on, man!

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - July 23 2013 :  1:48:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Your set up is really cool, I really like the turbo train above the race track.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - July 23 2013 :  4:54:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Looks good. Better than my progress.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - July 24 2013 :  08:15:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
It's really coming along fine. I love the elevated concept now that I can see it. Good work, keep us posted.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 24 2013 :  10:22:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Wow, nice addition to the (road) track! Looking good! I should consider that if I ever get a big enough slot car layout, my 2 x 3 will have to do for now. I found a couple controllers on Ebay for $10, so those are in the mail, I bought a power pack last Sunday to hook up to the AFX track, so by this weekend, I should have my slot track up and running finally. Yay!

Jerry

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 25 2013 :  04:09:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Cheez,
Now all you gotta do is S-L-O-W down the race track, and add in some buildings, and red lights invite a few friends over for "operations" and have some running choo choo's, and some operating the auto's..... that be cool as hell!

SPECIALLY is you had working red lights and stop signs and a few going in different directions and then and only then a crossing. rail with road......and working railroad gates. man now I'm making t it more complicated then it has to be but that crossing as I know it to be difficult to find!

HMMMM I wonder how difficult it be to make one? that works lights and all!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 26 2013 :  1:59:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
It's a little late to be designing the track-work, isn't it John? Don't get me wrong, that would be crazy cool. Imagine having a loop of slot car track and two loops of steel train track intersecting each other. Two people could race cars, while the other two race Turbo Trains, all while trying not to crash in to each other!

AMC: I really like the layout of your track. It's smaller, but a lot more technical than mine. I'd imagine your track would be more fun to race on for any period of time. Then again, I'm aiming more for scenery than bare-bones racing Keep us posted on yours!

Getting back to my progress, today I glued all the piers on to the elevated railway. Once the glue is dry the railway will be primed and painted. It's going to be painted in flat white/off-white. I'm debating giving each pier a horizontal red stripe.

cheez

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 27 2013 :  11:05:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
It's a little late to be designing the track-work, isn't it John? Don't get me wrong, that would be crazy cool. Imagine having a loop of slot car track and two loops of steel train track intersecting each other. Two people could race cars, while the other two race Turbo Trains, all while trying not to crash in to each other!

cheez

Originally posted by DaCheez - July 26 2013 :  1:59:57 PM

I could have a boatload of fun with doing that...... but yeah, you got a point, alittle late, you got a lot of ripping up track to do huh?

BUT, if you had the roads, slow down the cars, make them "every day drivers" and your streets going in parallel lines and such...... you would have down town streets with working auto's. and then railroad crossings to have the autos to stop at and such......

I could get so carried away, its not even funny!

~John

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 28 2013 :  6:11:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
It would definitely be doable. If you wanted the cars to run properly though I'd imagine you'd need to replace the gearing and add a second set of pick-ups. Maybe install some wireless mini-cams so people can drive in first-person view. Endless possibilities for fun!

If time, space, and money were no issue, I'm sure I could get just as carried away.

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 29 2013 :  12:03:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Man......I hear that!!!!! Time, money, and spaced... HEY, isn't THAT, ALL of our troubles?
~John

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 31 2013 :  1:01:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I suppose it is, isn't it?

Getting back to the layout, the elevated railway has been installed. The track supports have been glued down to the base of the layout and the track has been nailed to the plywood trackbed. I had some minor problems fitting the track to the plywood...vintage, used track can be quite a pain to work with The train runs fine though and visually the track looks okay. I'm probably just being picky...a good portion of the track-work will be hidden by mountains anyway

cheez

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - August 02 2013 :  08:46:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
It's really coming together now. Once some scenery is added it will be a really fun track to race on. The visual blocks will add a lot of flavor to the racing aspect of it. Love the fact that you cut out the plywood for the slot track, that really helps keep the track nice and smooth. Keep at it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 02 2013 :  11:54:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
looking good Now you needs (& so do I ) the TT Freight Train
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 02 2013 :  12:53:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Cheez,
It really is to bad, they don't make some sort of track more narrow to look like a "Monorail" set up for that train!

I have to say, I have cars for that train tho!!!

~John

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 02 2013 :  1:20:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Blaneo: Thanks! The track is already fun to do laps on, so I'm looking forward to getting some of the scenery in.

John: Yes, it's a shame Tyco chose to use standard railroad track. If they'd made something like the trolley track of the 1960's that would've looked much nicer...anything without the damn plastic railway ties

Buss: One step ahead of you!

cheez

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 11 2013 :  8:05:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Next up on the to-do list is the mountain/cliffs. The previous stages of this layout have been great learning experiences for me and this next addition will be no different (or completely different depending on how you look at it ). This time around I'm going to be casting the rock faces using Woodland Scenics molds, something I've never done before.

I started doing some experimentation yesterday with the molds. Plaster of Paris worked okay, but was very brittle. Hydrocal proved to be hard to acquire economically. Looking for a solution I turned to the internet and found what appears to be an excellent alternative. The product is called Durabond 90 and is some form of drywall compound. A 15kg (33lbs) bag cost me $20 at the hardware store, as opposed to a 2kg carton of hydrocal for $13 at the LHS.

Initial tests with the Durabond are looking promising. The dried casting shows plenty of detail and is ROCK solid. Aside from a handful of air bubbles which I failed to remove before the compound dried, it looks great and should hold up fine to slot car impacts!

cheez

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 11 2013 :  11:08:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Looks AWESOME Cheez!!!!!!

Agreed on the damned plastic ties.....something more to indicate, "Monorail, huh?

~John

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - August 12 2013 :  09:18:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
The castings look good Cheez. I used the same type of product when testing my molds, and the price for the product is easy on the pocket. It does give a great amount of detail, really gets into the nooks and crannies. The hardness of the product concerns me a bit, as they are almost to hard, to the point of being brittle. But I don't think that would be an issue as long as they are used on a permanent layout, and not one that would be moved around as with a layout that went on tours or to shows.

You could also experiment with using the same product to help hide the outer edge of the train track. You could use it to cover the ties right up to the rails, and slope it outward to make it look as though the track is supported in concrete. Just a thought.

Keep at it, it's coming together!

Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.

Edited by - blaneo on August 12 2013 09:19:01 AM

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 12 2013 :  12:52:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I considered trying to hide the railway ties, but I decided against it as most options would ruin the track and prevent me from re-using it on future layouts. Steel track has proved difficult to find in good condition, and I ended up having to borrow track from some of my Turbo Train sets.

As for the castings, I haven't had any issues yet with brittleness of the Durabond. I just removed my second set of castings from the mold. They're not quite as good as the first one...the amount of water needed for the mixture still needs some tweaking.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 12 2013 :  12:55:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I want a TT Freight Train set! Looks good tho

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 02 2013 :  5:43:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
After several weeks of casting rock faces I finally have enough to get started on constructing the actual cliffs. Durabond turned out to be an excellent product for casting rocks, the only downfall being that it needed about 6 hours in the mold to cure (Hydrocal and Plaster of Paris take under an hour). The finished results are rock solid though, and easy to work with.

I started building up the cliff base using foam insulation board for the straights, and newspaper covered in Plaster soaked paper towels for the curves.

The castings have been attached to the foam using construction adhesive. Once the adhesive is dry the cracks between the castings and on top of the cliff will be filled in with Plaster.

Here's a section I've already started filling the cracks in. It will most likely need several applications. Once everything is painted the hope is that the cliff face will look seamless.

The curves will take some work. I haven't decided yet if I want to make the cliff face using many smaller pieces, or pour some more plaster in to the mold, fitting the mold to the curvature of the cliff before the plaster is fully set. Some experimentation is in order I guess.

Anyway, that's what's happening on the layout currently. I still need to figure out how to construct the cliff that runs along the banked curve. I also haven't decided what I want to do about the top of the cliffs. That can be decided later though. Once I get all the plaster work inches from the road finished racing can resume.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 06 2013 :  8:27:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I pulled up the newspaper and masking tape tonight to have a look at everything. The cliffs aren't finished yet (not even close), but I wanted to make sure the rock faces gave the cars enough clearance, check the track for any plaster/water seepage, vacuum the loose bits of plaster up...and of course run some cars! So far so good!

Here are a few more pics...

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - September 09 2013 :  08:01:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
Nice work, I really like the way the rock strata is turning out. Don't forget that nature makes some very curious oddities in rock structures, so those imperfections from the air bubbles may turn out to work in your favor.
Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 05 2014 :  3:05:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
It's been a few months since I posted any progress. Plaster work is not the most exciting thing to work on and I'm a huge procrastinator. Anyway, the terrain is finally starting to take shape and I'll hopefully be on to some painting in the near future...

Most of the rock moldings have been blended together and the embankments along the roads are finished. In its current state it's mostly just a matter of blending the rock with the plywood and covering up a few gaps.

I also added some cork aprons on a few of the corners. They still need to be smoothed and painted.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the rock behind the banked curve has been scrapped. I'm hoping to put in some sort of concrete wall instead.

Edited by - DaCheez on January 05 2014 3:23:13 PM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 05 2014 :  3:24:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Lookin' good, Eric. I like the pic with the cars along the wall...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 05 2014 :  3:26:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
*sneaks over & puts a track from your layout to the TT tracks* hehehe

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 07 2014 :  10:27:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I like the 2X4 bench framing, Eric.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 07 2014 :  4:06:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
*sneaks over & puts a track from your layout to the TT tracks* hehehe

As cool as that would be, the track would have to climb 12 inches in less than two feet. No doubt the Turbos could handle it, but my fall layout doesn't use steel track which would make that somewhat pointless.

Walt, thanks! The framing was the simplest, sturdiest thing I could come up with. No issues so far. As for the cliffside racing, those are my favourite shots as well. I can't wait to get to painting, it will really bring the pictures to life!

Annnnnnnnd some more teaser pics....

cheez

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 07 2014 :  6:20:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very nice, Eric ! Lookin' good for sure !

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 07 2014 :  7:03:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
*makes a thing that looks like a really tall stump* this means something to me (Devil's Tower)

Looking good there

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 21 2014 :  9:04:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I started putting down the first coats/washes of paint today. The rocks are going to get green, purple, and black washes to make them a little more realistic (if I can even use that word ). The lake will get a few more orange coats followed by some water-based varnish. After that comes the smaller details (fences, signs, streetlights, a little bit of ground-cover, etc.). The wall behind the banked curve also needs to be done.

So that's how the colours look so far. I honestly can't decide if I love it or hate it at this stage. Once everything gets a little more detail I think it will look good. Any suggestions?

cheez

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - January 21 2014 :  9:24:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
Suggestions? How 'bout a black & white photograph?

Lookin' great, DaCheez!

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 21 2014 :  9:31:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I used to have a co-worker who asked people what color the sky was in their world. He never asked about the lakes, though.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 21 2014 :  10:09:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
Cool! I like the colors. Is it a lava lake?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - January 21 2014 :  10:27:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
Kinda reminds me of salt formations in the desert. I think that color might work really welll in a dark room with one or more blacklights being used to light up the scene. Add in some nite-glo pieces from Tyco, and you just might get a glowing layout that is feast for the eyes.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 23 2014 :  1:20:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The lake is meant to be some sort of man-made reservoir containing radioactive water from an unseen industry. In the first two pictures you can see three large pipes that would dump the water into the lake. The water colour was a toss-up between fluorescent green and neon orange. I think the orange is a better contrast to the rocks.

weekendrailroader: I've been looking into different nighttime accents. So far I have some vintage Tyco streetlights and glow-in-the-dark paint. The blacklight idea is also a good one. I remembered after reading your comment that there is a blacklight in the floor lamp beside the layout.

As it turns out, the lake glows...

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 23 2014 :  1:55:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
In Ohio that would be known as Buckeye Lake ! This is a bunch who beLIEve they have it made living around unsafe, stinky water...

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 04 2014 :  1:56:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
It's been a while since I posted anything here...life has been super busy the last few months (no complaints from me!). I've slowly been layering coats of paint on the rocks. Today I was finally able to get the streetlights installed!

Pictures of course...

cheez

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 04 2014 :  3:15:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
One more pic. The blacklight really brings the scene to life...

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - June 04 2014 :  5:12:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Wow............

I feel radioactive just looking at it....

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - June 04 2014 :  6:40:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice Eric ! The lights are a great addition! Nice! I now have 18 poles up. I have 78 more, not sure exactly how many I need for the 4 sections...

Walt

Luck, usually comes dressed in work clothes...

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 04 2014 :  6:52:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That's cool Cheez, very surreal. It looks like a course from Jeff Gordon's racing game from years ago.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Favorite Slot Videos? Topic Next Topic: LifeLike Daytona 500 Nascar set  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000