Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 OK, anyone? Interiors?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Left Overs... Topic Next Topic: Serious station part 2!  

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 25 2013 :  7:26:26 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Well guys, here I go again! I have been working on buildings while I heal from my surgery, BUT, then got to thinking of a few things on some of the buildings, I'm working on.....One in general, is the station freight extension with the MOW office. This MOW office is 2 floors, and big windows as I choose to add in it, needed an interior. So, I built them, (I have yet to get pictures of these, that I will post! BUT, more case in point, is a few items I got recently.....

3 Milling Machines, 2 Horizontal, one Vertical.

2 Metal Lathes.

3 Drill Presses.

2 Radial-Arm Drill Presses.

These were all gotten at a local auction for $10. EXCEPT for the 2 "white" drill presses. I made them! Which, I have a few more details to add to them, quil lever, and some other stuff.....Plus painting!

Then I took the castings, and being when I got them, they were in there factory packages, and I looked them up....Anything from $5.00 to $18.00 for these details, is a bit much, considering I need A LOT of them! My railroad loco service facility, is rather large.....a Guestimate of $250.00 worth of these details just can not be justified! So, as I looked, at the website to the place these came from. I seen something! A LOT were made with standard shapes and sizes of materials able to be gotten from Plastruct, and Evergreen Scale Models plastic. WELL, here lies another feat, of my own...

For the last 20 years, I been saving "cut-offs" of these plastic shapes, in hopes that one day, I'll find a use for it.....Being said that, I think I just stumbled onto something! I have made those drill presses recently, along with the following:

Cincinnati 90-Ton Press Brake
Niles Long-Bed Milling/Planing Machine

So, here is the Press Brake:

Thats the brake, ALL scratchbuilt! The ONLY factory part is the little electrical box on the back of the machine! All it needs now, is electrical lines and painted then, put in a building! Sadly the little electrical box that's a factory part gives some sense of size of this HO scale machine!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!

Edited by - EM-1 on June 26 2013 05:52:58 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator 

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 25 2013 :  7:36:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Then guys, I seen a picture of a detail part when I was looking up those factory ones, of a Gray Long Bed Metal Planer. These were used to make side rods and long frame rails, specially on steamers to insure correct framethickness and such for all the bearings that had slide glides, and other moving parts withtight standards of tolerance.

This detail part in HO scale was expensive! $18.00! I can't justify that so...... I looked in my shapes bin that I've been saving, and low and behold, I got what was needed to start this:

This machine is normally custom made to standard by the purchaser....SO, I took it upon myself to combine the "planer" and the Milling Machine to one machine on opposite sides of the head tower. Notice, one side has Planer hand written, andthe other written Milling on it. The table of this machine is 10 scale feet, the overall length of the machine is 22 feet. 18 scale feet tall!

Then these parts:

These parts are merely sitting in place right now as I have more work to do to this machine as well. SO, for the pictures I merely sat them in the location they're going to be!

ENJOY!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 25 2013 :  8:53:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Awesome creativity going on here, John. I like what you've done with the scraps to turn them into something believable. Just

jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 25 2013 :  9:21:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Jerry,
Thanks! I tell ya tho.....Those "green" colored machines I posted in the beginning of this posting, is about $60.00 worth to start with! NOW, the real reason I went further to make my own detail parts, is I need a bunch of them! As I got a railroad machine shop to furnish with these machines that's large! I then have smaller places to use smaller machines too...

Then I seen just what these machines are and what the "shapes" are and looked in my scrap collection and was like well, with alittle time, I can have quite the machine shop details made by my own hands with very little involved in money....Just time is all!

The brake, is 2 days to make what you see here....The Long Bed Mill is a day an a half to this point!

I am not going crazy with the detail. I could get right into it, BUT they're on the inside of a building and aren't going to be seen "that" well so......as long as they are believable is all they need to be! Which, I think they are!

~John

Edited by - EM-1 on June 26 2013 05:48:16 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 25 2013 :  9:34:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That is so cool, John. I hope you have plenty of spare side rods (something tells me you do) to complete the scene. I can't wait to see how all this develops.

Btw, does that little lathe run?

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on June 25 2013 9:35:02 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 25 2013 :  10:13:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
or put everything outside for a auction
Real cool stuffs
I think the Tyco lighted factory (former school) had machines inside it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LGLrr845
Big Six

MantuaAvatar

Posted - June 26 2013 :  12:29:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LGLrr845 to Buddylist
They honestly look like they could be used for O scale.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 239  ~  Member Since: September 17 2012  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 26 2013 :  03:30:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Thanks guys! This is what happens for a few reasons, One, have a lot of time on your hands! (healing from my heart surgery) Two, ALOT of scrap plastic that's been collecting. Three, a few bottles of glue. Four, needing parts in detail, that costs more then your willing to pay, for a rather large amount of them!

Nelson, I have a few ideas on making certain things run! I am going to build a wheel lathe that's going to spin the wheels inside, and then I'm going to make a vertical Lathe turning wheels faces in it, and then a regular ole engine lathe that's also going to have a spinning headstock!

NOW these are the tricks! The motors used, are A. out of Cell phones! The vibrating motors, VERY tiny in size! B. Motors out of VERY SMALL air plane models that actually do fly, VERY light weight, but have decent RPMs to run, and very small in size!.....I have them, and can control how fast they spin electrically!

Ben, you NEED to show me this! FAST!

Mike, you know, your right.....HOWEVER they would be half the size in O scale as everyone of them, will disappear in your hand! That Hydraulic press brake, is not even 2.5 inches tall! And a little over 2 inches wide! Everything seen here is scaled by the use of a General scale ruler off the actual dimensions of the real thing! So in all reality, these machines are truly big in size in real life!

~John

Edited by - EM-1 on June 26 2013 04:46:13 AM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 26 2013 :  03:39:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Also forgot to say, Yes I have plenty of spare side rods to complete the scene. Thing is, they won't be actual metal side rods at all. I have TONS of those old Revell kits that are static models that are/have been opened missing all sorts of parts so.....

I am working on getting some of the buildings done for my loco service facility, to represent Cumberland, MD for the B&O in the steam days so......

And to think of it, that Long-Bed mill I pictured here is a "Niles" machine, its got a 10 foot milling table, that rides on a 20 foot table slide underneath of it. Stands 18 HO scale feet tall!

This machine in real life was large enough to STAND on when stopped to make minor adjustments!

See, you guys have to realize something if you haven't already! I used to work in a place that had such machines....This was when I first got out of school. I made rather large logging equipment, and ran a Bridgeport, for the company, and when I wasn't I was doing industrial painting of the machines I made parts for......Sadly the company since then, has gone belly up and no longer makes any machines now and has since been bought out and owned my another company named "HMC Corp." I'm not to sure if they make logging machines or not but I believe they do!

Last I knew, they had gone or well before I was laid off, they were talking about going CNC and I have no CNC knowledge, as a machinist, I'm old school!

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 26 2013 :  04:39:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
another posting....This is what I'm working towards:

Not quite that big, but made 2/3rds of the size, in a railroad environment which will be my "machine shop" for the loco service facility I plan to have on the layout!

And just for fun......Here are those same machines, in O scale! Or well some of the machines!

Detailed anyone?

NOW these 2 pictures of the O scale models, ARE NOT MY WORK! These pictures are what inspired me to see what I could do in HO scale! Those are the work from a VERY talented man from France! AND I must say, impressive to say the least..... He builds them for employment! And the crazy part? They are parts from ripped apart items, radios, TV,s VCRs, DVD players that are junk! (I do this same sort of thing, ALL the time!) And a lot of plastic sheet from Evergreen Scale Models, same as what I use!

All I can say its amazing at what can be done, if you think about it a little bit first!

Wait.....My logging machines are in the future too!

~John

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - June 26 2013 :  11:06:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Awesome John!

I have quite a large stockpile of machinery too. It's all packed away presently, but I add to it every chance I get and never sell any of it. Those scratchbuilt presses and planers are awesome as well!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 26 2013 :  11:36:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Sean,
Thanks man! I plan to have a rather large set up with it all and being said that, I got a lot to build! As it doesn't come easy to get these type items!

You mentioned the Brake and the Planer, WELL, wait! I got a wheel lathe up and coming, along with a vertical lathe! Plus a regular planer, nothing more.....

Then, I'm going to set out to build as many mills and normal sized lathes as I can stand, or have the scraps too.....Just to have them, for one and then to go and do up the auto garage I have planned and some other smaller details that kinda fall into this same category.....

I also want to make a shear for sheet metal (you have to make those steamer cabs somehow right!?) And then possible a Hydraulic punch press, a few grinders....All sorts of small stuff!

You know, the wheel lathe is going to be the largest, I do believe, that machine in real life was HUGE! I want to make it spin tho, with a set of steamer drivers in it!

~John

Previous Topic: The Left Overs... Topic Next Topic: Serious station part 2!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000