Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 30 ]  [ Total: 30 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 John English, HObbyline HO Trains.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Hornby OO trains  also all other British trains Topic Next Topic: Penn Line
Page: of 6

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 16 2019 :  8:56:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Only here in the TF do I get to see these mainline classics
from the early days of HO. The couplers are most interesting,
and the cast on ladders, roof walks, while abhorred by
rivet counters, is crisp.

What I think of as the JP backdrop perfectly frames
the photo; vintage scenery technique showing off
a vintage HO.

El Paso was a large SP hub before the merger, never see that
one anymore!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 26 2020 :  12:33:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
HObbylines Rock Island Box car. Allentown finds along with set #425 The Hilltopper and a (not seen)Aristo blue tender for a 4-6-0 Royal Blue.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on February 27 2020 07:34:11 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 26 2020 :  12:41:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is another passenger set complete with proper locomotive and passenger cars. I post this set once before with black HObbyline FM H12-44 pulling it. Now i have the proper locomotive.

Here is set #415 "The Suburbanite"
A medium size passenger set made up of a Union Pacific FM H12-44 loco and three Heavyweight coaches. one is a Combine the others are 2 Day Coaches.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 18 2020 6:22:24 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 27 2020 :  03:13:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 18 2020 :  6:55:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well today my first B&O passenger car came. It is a Combine heavyweight passenger car. Now to find 3 day coaches and a twin set of FA-1's. This will not be easy. I recieved 2 days ago a second Pennsy black set of FA-1's in perfect condition. On the way from 2 other sellers is first another Pennsy twin FA-1 set this one in Maroon, i think they both are powered. FA-1 came powered 3 ways. Some original ones instead of gears had 2 pullies and a drive belt. The second type was the geared dual power version. The third came out in 1956 and was called Plus-Power. It only had a rear truck powered but used traction tires on all four wheels. The other delivery is my long sought after Twin set of Union Pacific FA-1's. These are not beat up as my first FA-1 is and are geared dual power.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 18 2020 7:00:59 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 20 2020 :  6:53:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
It would seem i have been lucky and because of that bussy.
aquired PRR black Twin FA-1 set, and PRR maroon Twin FA-1 set, And a UP twin FA-1 set. All arrived just after the B&O combine in the next 3 or 4 days.
frank

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 20 2020 :  8:38:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Beautiful classics from the dawn of HO.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 22 2020 :  08:32:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here are my 5 HObbyline Twin FA-1s- Western Pacific, Erie, Union Pacific, PRR Brunswick, PRR Tuscan.

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 22 2020 :  11:13:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool UP & WP *swipes*
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 23 2020 :  07:37:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A look at the HObbyline FA-1's at their new storage yard between Rockport and Penn Haven.
frank

Link to video record.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/49690350332/in/album-72157710242700546/

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 23 2020 :  12:12:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
now that I think of it I MAY have one of them UP Alcos
cause it is a all steel construction
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 24 2020 :  03:19:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Quite a line up.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 31 2020 :  2:14:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* I would love to go on posting new photos and info on HObbyline trains but there aren’t a whole lot of them remaining for me to find. A fact about them is in both ready to run and kit versions is they are mainly not the same. Kits are of cheaper quality in the trucks and couplers and the kit build and builder really affects its quality.. About the trucks and couplers both need to be replaced if you are going to run them. All the body parts are the same, there decoration change because almost all lettering is supplied from the decal sheet within the kit. The kit builder’s ability of mount these decals is what makes all the quality of the kit. Also different road names are available in kit and ready to run freight cars, tho some are the same. An example is the SP box car. Outside of the name almost all the lettering is different. For locomotives the steam 0-4-0t and 0-4-0 switches come in both ready to run and kit. All diesels, the FA-1 and H12-44 are only ready to run. I have never seen a kit for them. Of the 28 sets, 1 is single digit, 25, 3 digit and the last 2, 4 digit set numbers. The last two set of 4 digits all cars were kit cars that with factory assembled and better trucks were used. In the sets they made there is no constant on the road names of the freight cars within the sets. In a early pre 1953 to 1957 catalogs where info on the sets is found and can be compared, different road names appear on cars in freight sets when looking at one set number. What remains the same in the sets is the road name and type of loco in the set. The caboose changed sometimes. They started with cabooses mainly using the HObbyline name. Some had yellow colored lettering and some had white. Later on the road names Pennsylvania and Union Pacific started to appear in their respective sets. My “Hill topper set” #425 has a UP caboose to match its UP loco. Being we are talking about sets made 65 years ago, or more, the chance of a broken car being replaced with another of a different road name of type is possible. I have seen cars of a different manufactures within these sets. Sellers almost always refer to their sets as being proper and complete so that saying "let the buyer beware" must always be followed. From 1955 on pictures of sets in HObbyline magazine advertisements and catalogs show some freight cars that are either rare or just never released. The only way this last sentence can be unproven is by posting a photo of a "Conoco tanks car", or an "In Land chemical box" car or either of the two hoppers Frisco or Virginian. Also a picture of the elusive B&O heavyweight passenger set #462. For this you will definitely get my thanks and an apology if its wanted.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 31 2020 2:49:31 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 08 2020 :  3:56:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My HObbyline catalogs and their set information. This was a lot of work.

The 1953 catalog.

This is the first catalog I know of.
This catalog I do not have. I have seen the cover and copied the cover of for information purposes.

The 1954 Catalog:
This catalog I have seen a reference to it's release as being soon. To this day I have not seen or found one. Maybe the yellow catalog.

The 1955 catalogs: abbreviations B- Box car, F flat car, G- gondola car, H- hopper car, T tank car, C- caboose. HL hobbyline. Roadnames will be abbreviated, ATSF, B&O, NYC, PRR, UP, WP, all should be recognisable.

My first 1955 catalog.

Is a 12 page one printed in a landscape format with pages 11 inches wide and 7 and 5/8 inches high. It is printed in grayscale and black. The cover has a drawing of the Alco FA-1 twin PRR passenger set on it. The 1955 date can be seen on page 2 with the text there in.

Sets seen in catalog in order that they appear.

# 421The Whistle stopper, C&O FM H12-44, G- PRR, T-Cities service, c- hobbyline.
# 416 The Prospector, ATSF H12-44, flat w load PRR, box car Frisco, C- HL.
# 411, The Wall Street, LV H12-44, 1 combine, 2 coaches.
# 446, Ridgerunner, PRR FA-1, flat PRR, b- GAEX, H- western Maryland, T- Union 76, C-HL.
# 430 Train Maker, PRR A5 0-4-0, combine, 2 coaches.
# 461, Cal Zephyr, WP twin FA-1, 3 pullman, 1 obs.
# 451 Lake Cities Exp, Erie, twin FA-1 combine, 3 coaches.
# 440 Yard Master, PRR 0-4-0, G- PRR, B-RI, T-Union 76, C- hobbyline.
# 456 Trail Blazer, PRR Twin FA-1, 3 pullman, 1 Observation.
# 466, Frontiersman, WP twin FA-1, g-PRR, T- cities service, h- Western Maryland, b-frisco, F-.
PRR, c-hl

The second 1955 catalog:

The catalog Is a recent acquisition. It is a 8 page one printed in a portrait format, again in grayscale and black. It is 8 and ½ inches wide and 11 inches high. It is clearly labeled 1955 on the front cover page 1 and inside on page 2.
# 411 Wall Street, LV H12-44, 1 comb, 2 day coaches.
# 416 Prospector, ATSF H12-44, F-PRR, B- GAEX, C-HL.
# 421 Whistle stopper, C&O H12-44, G-P&LE, T-union 76, C- HL.
# 430 Train Maker, PRR 0-4-0, 1 combine, 2 day coaches.
# 466 Frontiersman, WP, twin FA-1, G-PL&E, B- gaex, F- PRR wl, T- Union 76, H- Frisco, C- HL.
# 440 Yardmaster, PRR 0-4-0, G- P&LE, T- Cities Service, B- Rock Island.
# 456, Trail Blazer, PRR twin FA-1, 3 pullman, 1 observation.
# 451, Lake Cities Express, Erie, twin FA-1, combine, 3 day coaches.
# 446, Ridgerunner, PRR twin FA-1, F- PRR, T- Cities Service, H- Frisco, B- Rock Island, C- HL.
# 461, California Zephyr, WP twin FA-1, 3 pullman, 1 observation.

The first 1956 catalog.

I found this online 6 months earlier than the second 1955 catalog. I think it is 6 or 8 pages. I am not sure. It is a important catalog because here with in this catalog a HObbyline major change has been made and noted. Here on this cover is seen for the first time the companies use of traction tires on drive wheels. It is referred to as the “Amazing new plus power”. This replaces their 8 wheel drive mechanisms on both the FA-1 and the FM H12-44 diesels.
Sets seen
# 431, Silver Meteor, PRR twin FA-1, 2 pullman, 1 observation.
# 426, Hot Shot, PRR twin FA-1, f- RDG, T- Conoco, B- In Land Ammonia Sulphate, H- Western Maryland.
# 412, Shuttle Bug, NYC 0-4-0t, t- Conoco, b- In Land Ammonia Sulphate. C- HL.
# 422, Yard Master, PRR 0-4-0 switcher, H- Western Maryland, T- Conoco, C- HL.
# 417, Pacemaker, B&O H12-44, G, B, h-WM, C- HL.

The second 1956 catalog:

This is one I have had for a few years. For a long time it hasn’t been dated for nothing within the catalog gives reference to a printing date. The catalog is referred to as the “RED catalog is printed in a landscape format with pages 11 inches wide and 7 and 5/8 inches high. It is printed in red, grayscale and black. The front and rear cover combine to show a PRR streamlined passenger set with 4 passenger cars. It is the Silver Meteor set with an additional car. The print can be read and its name is “Silver Dawn”. This is a 4 car set that was not released. This set is not dated as I have said. A period date can be surmised by reading through its text on the diesel powered sets. A description of these sets includes the statement that these are powered using HObbyline Power Plus drives. That information dates this catalog as 1956 because the set listed in this catalog match the sets in the other 1956 catalog. The company seems to have ended in early 1957. No information is found after this except for Hobby distributors selling off old stock in their sales flyers.
# 431, Silver Meteor, PRR twin FA-1, 2 pullman, 1 observation.
# 422, Yard Master, PRR 0-4-0 switcher, H- Western Maryland, T- Dupont, C- HL.
# 462, Hot Shot,PRR twin FA-1, F- Monon, T- Dupont, B- Seaboard, H- Western Maryland, C- HL.
# 417, Pacemaker, B&O H12-44, T- Dupont, B- Seaboard, C- HLl.
# 412, Shuttle Bug, NYC 0-4-0t #3220, T- Dupont, B- Seaboard, C- HL.

The Yellow catalog may be 1954.

Another catalog the “Yellow catalog” I will be receiving in a few days. I will place set info here soon. Within the catalog is noted the use of 8 wheel drives so this could be a 1954 missing catalog or another 1955 one. I believe it to be a missing 1954 catalog.

sets in order of appearance.

# 410, The Commuter PRR H12-44, 1 combine, 2 coaches.
# 430, The Train Maker PRR 0-4-0, 1 combine, 2 coaches.
# 420, Wayfarer PRR H12-44, g-, b- , F- , C- , can’t see any road names.
# 415, Suburbanite, UP H12-44, 1 combine, 2 day coaches.
# 440, Yard Master, PRR 0-4-0, t- ,b- ,G- ,C- .
# 425, hilltopper, UP H12-44. G- wabash, B- ,f- ,c- .
# 450, Metropolitan, PRR twin fa-1, 1 combine, 3 coaches.
# 455, Canyon Clipper, UP twin fa-1, 1 combine, 3 coaches.
# 460, growler, PRR twin fa-1, G- ,B- ,T- ,B- ,f- ,c- hl.
# 465, mountaineer, WP twin fa-1,G- wabash, b- ,t- cities service, b- ,f- ,c- hl.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 21 2020 12:44:28 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 11 2020 :  12:04:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great stuff. What cool names!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 14 2020 :  08:31:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
now that I think of it I MAY have one of them UP Alcos
cause it is a all steel construction

Originally posted by microbusss - March 23 2020 :  12:12:58 PM

UP alcos made in white metal were common. John English made FA1 and FA-2, Lindsay and also HObbytown sold FA-1 and FA-2 die cast white metal loco's. There was even a OO version made by Fleischmann in the same way but large than HO but ran on HO track.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 14 2020 1:03:40 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 14 2020 :  1:24:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Since you like Hobbyline so much, get one of the berkshire kits, and try to track down a motorization kit.....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 14 2020 :  4:42:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Alex. I don't have any interest in getting and building hobbyline kits, I aquire just ready to run loco's, cars, and sets. Certain box car kits if assembled ok and decals being still complete might on the right day attract my attention. These would be in box cars Central of Georgia, Western Pacific, Rio Grande, Boston and Main. in tank cars Union Starch, hoppers Alcoa, Cotton Belt and Reading, in flats T&P come to mind. what I am looking for is B&O FA-1 and passenger cars and LV passenger cars, H12-44 in ATSF, LVRR, and C&O, NYC 0-4-0t. A road named Hobbyline box car. For information the yellow 1953 catalog which combined English and HObbyline equipment of that date. Model Trains Magazines from 1953 and 1954 or just the Dec / winter additions which have the Christmas train sets shown in then. The Dec 1955 addition gave me good info on this line. I have purchased both 1956 and 1957 issues and await their coming to me.
I wonder if there is out there someone who knows if certain cars shown with sets on photos in advertisements and catalogs really exist or were they just promasses of things to come. My list of what I have found of these mystery cars is Inline Ammonia Sulphate box car, Conoco tank car, Virginian and Frisco hoppers, and PRR streamlined passenger car Silver Dawn. At this date there seem to be no one out there with the complete knowledge about HObbyline trains and sets. The US is a big country and maybe I'll find someone, someday.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 19 2020 1:03:50 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 21 2020 :  08:58:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Oh, well, maybe one day you'll change your mind. I have always wanted to see someone power the Hobbyline berk. Anybody know anyone who has done it before?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 26 2020 :  8:13:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well thanks to a member here I got to get a look at two like new HObbyline boxed passengers sets. The member is waw47, Bill. And here publicly I want to say "Thank you" to BILL for his help. The sets were excellent. The photography stinks. The lesser of the sets but still a real beauty is the Erie "Lake Cities Express" #451. The better one isn't just better to me the best #462 the B&O "Royal Blue".

Again Thank You Bill.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 10 2022 06:55:25 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 26 2020 :  8:25:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Mega bundle, very, very nice. As Microbuss once pointed out,
those sets were manufactured when those trains were
actually running.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 01 2020 :  1:35:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here are two other HObbyline Gondolas I received in the mail yesterday. A different Western Maryland and another Lehigh and New England.
frank

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 01 2020 :  7:33:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looks great, love the back scene as well. A very nice way
to display your huge collection.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 06 2020 :  3:05:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A new old car came today.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 06 2020 3:13:43 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 06 2020 :  5:15:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
HObbyline box car 1053 fits nicely in the Set #1 box of 1953 with other correct cars.

Edit, add more inf: Last sentence ended with correct cars. The set #1 sold last june on Ebay had for power not the PRR version as I stated by the HObbyline road named version. Also the wood flat car load on my L&N flat wasn't released till 1954. The car is correct, the load isn't. Also The Set"! should have a Pennsylvania Railroad caboose with it. I will change this.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 11 2020 11:04:42 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 21 2020 :  08:11:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I have another box car the Boston and Main.
frank

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 23 2020 :  03:42:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
B&M a fave.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 14 2020 :  08:44:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Concerning HObbyline's 1954 catalog and the sets issued then. 1954 was a good year for sets from HObbyline with 10 sets released. All sets came in either Pennsylvania or Union Pacific only. Their were 5 passenger sets and 5 freight sets. Three different types of locomotives were used. The FM H12-44, Alco FA-1 and the PRR A4 switcher. All freight set came with cabooses lettered for road matching the locomotives. At this time there are only 4 freight car types Flat, box, gondola, and tank cars. Their Hopper car will not be released till 1955. Passenger car type used were only the Heavyweight type in combine and day coach. The streamlined cars will not be released till 1955.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 14 2020 :  09:57:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Concerning the HObbyline 1955 catalogs of which I have two different. !955 was another big year for HObbyline sets. Both catalogs show the same 9 new sets and a 10th set which was rereleased is the #440 the Yardmaster. Last year there were only two road names PRR and UP. This year there are PRR, C&O, ATSF, LV, WP, and Erie with an uncertain 7th road name B&Oand 11th set in B&O paint which all things are seen seem to show is an unlisted 1955 release. New car types seen are the hopper, streamline passenger cars, Pullman, and Observation. Unlike last year all freight sets cabooses are lettered for HObbyline only. There are 5 listed freight sets and one unlisted B&O freight and maybe 6 passenger sets if the B&O #462 Royal Blue set is counted. The FM H12-44 now comes in C&O, ATSF, and LV. for 1955. The PRR and UP FM H12-44 are not listed in either catalog in 1955. The Alco FA-1 along with last years PRR in marron (passenger) and also black (freight) now has Erie and Western Pacific paint. There is also, as noted here that the B&O can be added to this FA-1 list. The 1955 Trade Preview catalog has a couple of road name oddities shown. The Frisco hopper car and the Victor tank car along with flat cars with an unrecognized load.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 02 2021 12:00:30 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 28 2020 :  09:11:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Concerning the 1956 catalogs I have. The first I received was the red catalog which is undated. The second one I received is dated and all sets information within match what is in the red catalog so I know it to be 1956 also. This dates the red catalog with the FA-1 powerad passenger set on both the front and rear cover as 1956.
frank

Two 1956 catalogs;

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 28 2020 09:14:05 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 02 2020 :  8:40:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here are the HObbyline box cars .
frank

replaced photo 7-4-20.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 04 2020 09:05:40 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 02 2020 :  8:43:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here are my HObbyline hopper cars in a photo taken today. There are 1 other in with boxed sets I have. There road names are seen in with this group.

frank

replace photo 7-4-20

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 04 2020 09:06:23 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 02 2020 :  9:22:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Love your HObbyline hopper and box car collection, Frank!! Congrats.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 03 2020 :  12:36:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Excellent pictures, Frank! It's one thing to see old catalog images and the odd loose car, but seeing all these sets collected and photographed in full colour is something else. It really brings everything to life!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 03 2020 :  4:33:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It was Micro Busss who pointed out that Frank's collection were
of railroad units that were made when those now Fallen Flags were up
and running. Truly a splendid collection from the early years
of HO.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 04 2020 :  01:23:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
It was Micro Busss who pointed out that Frank's collection were
of railroad units that were made when those now Fallen Flags were up
and running. Truly a splendid collection from the early years
of HO.

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 03 2020 :  4:33:57 PM

yeah of course only 1 that still exists is.....Union Pacific!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 10 2020 :  7:18:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Excellent pictures, Frank! It's one thing to see old catalog images and the odd loose car, but seeing all these sets collected and photographed in full colour is something else. It really brings everything to life!

Originally posted by DaCheez - July 03 2020 :  12:36:50 PM

Thanks Cheese! A labor of love. When you collect the locos and cars and only have 3 boxed sets, you look at the catalog photos and pictures in the December Model Trains train set section for a second view. It is not that hard to get most of the photos of the 29 sets and that is counting set #1 from what I have already. I'll post a photo of set #2 soon to add that one more set. Still missing four sets using my own photos. Still to come set 2 I have what is needed. I have photos of the set #1 and #2 from E-bay photos. Set 411 LV passenger set "The Wall Street", set #416 "The Prospector" I don't have the loco H12=44 in Santa-Fe, Set #421 "The Whistle Stopper" I am missing the loco a C&O H12-44, Set #462 The B&O Royal Blue all I have is the combine, I need everything else the twin B&O FA-1's, and the three B&O Day coaches.

I will start to paint a pair of John English FA-1's and 4 John English day coaches and one combine. These I have till if I get lucky enough to get a B&O set 462. I'll feel really good when this HObbyline record is complete.
Frank

Also working on a CONOCO tank car and a John English FB-1 .

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 11 2020 10:43:39 AM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 10 2020 :  9:11:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Sounds like there are some fun projects in the making.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 11 2020 :  3:56:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Frank, I have to say that your dedication to preserve these old HO train sets as they originally were produced, down to the specific car per set, is amazing and inspiring.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 14 2020 :  06:15:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Frank, I have to say that your dedication to preserve these old HO train sets as they originally were produced, down to the specific car per set, is amazing and inspiring.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 11 2020 :  3:56:41 PM

Thankyou Robert
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 14 2020 :  06:29:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 10 2020 :  9:11:54 PM

Alex, I do remember enjoying working on trains feeling good with each little success. At 74 it is just work till its done and then its either happiness or sadness. I seem to lose my focus. Sometimes I just sit and look at things. Maybe today I get something done.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 14 2020 :  06:30:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:

Alex, I do remember enjoying working on trains feeling good with each little success. At 74 it is just work till its done and then its either happiness or sadness. I seem to lose my focus. Sometimes I just sit and look at things. Maybe today I get something done.
frank

toptrain

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 14 2020 :  10:18:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

frank

Originally posted by toptrain - July 14 2020 :  06:30:57 AM

I see. Well, you have done plenty of great projects. I enjoy your work.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 17 2020 :  10:54:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The four most obvious HObbylines cars shown in the 1955 and 1956 catalogs that never released ia the CONOCO TANK CAR. Also partially seen is the INLAND boxcar. These two cars are also seen on page-4 and 5 of the 1956 catalog in the consist of the HOT Shot set. Below in the bottom left corner of page 4 is the set 422 Yardmaster in its box. The CONOCO tank car is also seen there.
The recording number of the tank car is number CONX 275. There is no recording number on the INLAND box car.

The Conoco tank car. 1956. trade review, Shown in set #412 "The Shuttle Bug".

Set 422 Yardmaster on page 4 shows the CONOCO tank car again within the set,

Next also in the 1956 catalog is the Inland Ammonium Sulphate box car Also in "The shuttle bug".

Now we move to the 1955 trade catalog and the Frisco Hopper found in two sets on page 4 and 5.

Last is the Victor tank car in the 1955 trade catalog seen in the set 440 on page 5.

Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 13 2020 8:24:28 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 17 2020 :  3:31:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Some pretty awesome never released cars by HObbyline, I've got to say. So, Tyco wasn't the only one that didn't actually release what would have been surefire sellers (the Oreo 62' box car, the Tide center-flow hopper, etc) :(

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 17 2020 :  6:17:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I see a steam switcher in one of the pics, #479. I didn't know hobbyline made a steam switcher.
Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 17 2020 6:18:01 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 23 2020 :  1:35:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well With my HObbyline B&O Royal Blue passenger set #462 all I have been able to get is a original Combine. To have one I repainted a combine and 4 passenger cars. I need to ry to make the decals for I need 10 just for this set. Knowing about the problems I usually have with decals the necessary 10 will be raised to 14 or 15.
Here is where I am now.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 23 2020 1:37:07 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 23 2020 :  9:04:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Those look great Frank! That scheme looks pretty Blaxland. I'm inspired.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 23 2020 :  10:38:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice coaches!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 23 2020 :  11:53:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
More great vintage HO.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Hornby OO trains  also all other British trains Topic Next Topic: Penn Line  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000