Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 The Slippery Slope!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: boy would i love this Topic Next Topic: Crazy Tyco Piggyback String Of Cars
Page: of 8

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 10 2013 :  5:40:03 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Except for my TOHD (Tyco Operating Hopper Disorder), my Tyco collecting has been limited to replacing lost or broken equipment from my childhood collection. WELL...at the Hickory, NC train show this past weekend, I was digging through one of the many junk boxes found on the floor at train shows when I found this:

Mildly curious, I looked it over and noticed that while it has lost it's youthful glow and definitely has its share of scuffs, scratches, and sticker residue, it's carbody is completely intact, right down to the tiny ears on the sides of the outlets! Still only mildly curious, I set it down and continued my digging. Shortly thereafter the vendor leaned over my shoulder and said "Anything in that box is a dollar." In my naïveté, I thought, "If it's only a dollar, I might as well get that unbroken Morton Salt hopper, even though it's not one I had as a kid." Purchase made, I continued exploring the train show and just before I left, made a last minute impulse purchase:

A Mantua reefer in really nice shape for two dollars. I texted my wife and told her the show was basically a bust. Then I made the journey home, still completely oblivious to the monster that had just awakened. I only became aware of its imposing presence that evening when I was showing my purchases to my wife. With a sudden shock, there it was: I WANNA COLLECT ALL OF THE CENTER FLOW HOPPERS, AND THE MANTUA REEFERS! AAAAUUUGGGHHH! SOMBODY Hhhhhelp....mmmeee...

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Edited by - gmoney on April 10 2013 9:48:18 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 10 2013 :  6:15:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hehe So do I even the ribbed ones I'm getting close tho
Do you needs a Sanka? I'll hafta make sure what I has is a extra or not
Looks like Alcan Chemcial Products, Budweiser & C&H is all I needs
Plus a custom Tide & Arm & Hammer
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - April 10 2013 :  8:45:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
That'll teach you to go through those under table junk boxes.

"hey, if it's only a dollar"..... how many times have I said that during a train show?

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 10 2013 :  10:06:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Buss, actually I do need a Sanka hopper, but I needed it before this horrid monster reared its ugly head! That's one of the childhood items I have that is damaged and that I need to replace.

NC shortlines, I've been a Junk Box Junkie waaay too long to stop now. I think the withdrawal symptoms would kill me!

Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 10 2013 :  10:36:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'll post these to make you jealous! MUHAHAHA!!

AMC sent me the red B&A letter one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 18 2013 :  12:51:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Another Mantua reefer! Yay!

Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 18 2013 :  02:43:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I have to say......I'd like to get my hands on a Morton Salt, and a Hooker Chemical tanker......I have Old Dutch Cleanser somewhere, and I THINK I have the Kelloggs car as well AND a Trident Sugar Free Gum Refer......
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 18 2013 :  11:10:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Ah, good to meet another shallow-table diver as well , some of the best stuff has come out from under tables, I found one of my 3 Eldon steam engines on a plat under a table last year, for $5 that was a steal. I don't think there's a vaccine for this disease, it can be controlled somewhat ( angry wife, low $ funds, etc. ), but it's usually incurable, although rarely fatal. . Have fun at least while table-diving!

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 03 2013 :  12:40:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
The slope just keeps getting slipperier!

I have my wife to thank for this latest development! Whenever she and her mother and sister go to yard sales, auctions, or whatnot, she keeps a casual eye out for HO stuff to give to me. (Not complaining about that in the least! ) However, on one occasion she came home with a Tyco Bethlehem Steel hopper, and on another occasion a shiny blue Bachmann L&N hopper. And that started this:

Oh well...

Glenn

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 03 2013 :  07:04:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Glenn,
My wife does the same, no matter if its Trains, tools, and the like parts hardware, you name it, she seems to always come home, with something.....other then she'd use!

That Bethlehem hopper, the orange one?

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 03 2013 :  11:43:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
The Rock! gimmie
Oh btw? I did find the extra Sanka for you

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 03 2013 :  1:12:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice Tyco pieces, Glenn. When I discovered that EBay had thousands of Tyco auctions, I started buying all the Tyco pieces I had as a kid. But kept buying the stuff I wished I had as a kid!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 03 2013 :  3:09:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
me too, Walt Me too
I still wants Big Boy #4004 but #4005 is ok too Since both are 100 miles from each other hehe
Do you care if the hoppers are ribbed or do you wants smooth?

Edited by - microbusss on October 03 2013 3:19:17 PM

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 03 2013 :  5:26:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
John,
Yes, the orange one. (Is there another color Bethlehem hopper I'm not aware of!? *pant pant!*)

And isn't it nice to have a wife who's supportive of your hobbies?

Ben,
About the Sanka; you sent me some pics. Let me know what you're askin' for it. And I'm only after the smooth-sided centerflows. For the time being anyway. I'm TRYING to keep some semblance of control here!

Walt,
Thanks! I might be slidin' down this slope, but I still try to find the "best" stuff I can (or a really good deal). And I hear ya about the childhood desires. Nostalgia + income can sometimes be a dangerous thing!

Glenn

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 03 2013 :  6:19:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Glenn, I like to buy nice new looking train cars too. I have received some imperfect pieces, and later replaced it with a nicer one. Im not one that buys everything that Tyco made or needs every variable known. I have a few AHM & Life-Like cars & many of their buildings. I'm at the bottom of the slope now, just trying to find a few more cars that I just can't live without!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 03 2013 :  6:34:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
There's a bottom?? That's good to know!

Within my narrow range of collecting, I'll get the variations when I find them, but don't really seek them out, and condition (and cost!) is still a factor. My problem seems to be that my definition of "narrow" is changing!

Glenn

Edited by - gmoney on October 03 2013 6:36:02 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 03 2013 :  8:38:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
John,
Yes, the orange one. (Is there another color Bethlehem hopper I'm not aware of!? *pant pant!*)

And isn't it nice to have a wife who's supportive of your hobbies?

Ben,
About the Sanka; you sent me some pics. Let me know what you're askin' for it. And I'm only after the smooth-sided centerflows. For the time being anyway. I'm TRYING to keep some semblance of control here!

Walt,
Thanks! I might be slidin' down this slope, but I still try to find the "best" stuff I can (or a really good deal). And I hear ya about the childhood desires. Nostalgia + income can sometimes be a dangerous thing!

Originally posted by gmoney - October 03 2013 :  5:26:14 PM

Glenn,
Well that depends on the "orange" I've seen a couple that looked almost yellow....Not sure if they were faded or what but to me it was a mere slightly lighter color, not yellow but.....close.

I myself is looking for more of them myself for the Bethlehem Steel Foundry, I'm building for my layout.....BUT, in my case, have to be hauled in with just as colorful.....Chessie System!

~John

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - January 01 2014 :  12:16:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
The latest - a Riv quad hopper:

I have another Riv quad lettered for Soo; will have to dig that one out and post it too! And I realized I need to dig out and post the Bethlehem and L&N hoppers that started this quad hopper affliction.

Glenn

sunhuntin
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - January 01 2014 :  01:15:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add sunhuntin to Buddylist
im on a similar slope with bachmann grain hoppers! trying to keep to canadian ones only, and succeeding at the moment. all because one of the guys at the club had a saskatchewan one, and i had to get one, being a fan of all things canada. found that along with another of a different design, that lead to ebay hunting and the rest is history! i even bought one of the sask ones in N scale, despite the fact i dont run N. lmao.

good luck, all of you with a likewise affliction. must admit the tyco billboard cars are really tempting
 Country: New Zealand  ~  Posts: 44  ~  Member Since: December 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 21 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 01 2014 :  02:32:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
[quote]hehe So do I even the ribbed ones I'm getting close tho
Do you needs a Sanka? I'll hafta make sure what I has is a extra or not
Looks like Alcan Chemcial Products, Budweiser & C&H is all I needs
Plus a custom Tide & Arm & Hammer

Originally posted by microbusss - April 10 2013 :  6:15:32 PM

Har, har, har- that is too funny. Totally relate. Presently I have twelve orange NH boxcars. Ahem...maybe not so funny, I am craving another dozen!!!!!! Can't help myself! AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH........................................................................

JMcNeal
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - January 01 2014 :  1:27:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
That'll teach you to go through those under table junk boxes.

"hey, if it's only a dollar"..... how many times have I said that during a train show?

Originally posted by NC shortlines - April 10 2013 :  8:45:14 PM

I believe that sentiment is why I have no life and no money... It's also how I ended up:

- Bringing home 36 freight cars from the LHS once and going into debt to do so (Weathered, with metal wheels, Kadees and the works for $4 apiece? How could I resist buying ALL OF THEM?)

- Discovering that the club I used to belong to had a sale bin, promptly emptying the entire thing onto the floor, and dragging home more than 40 cars from the club all in one night because nothing was over $3 (and that includes professionally-weathered hoppers) There were about a dozen Athearn Centerflows and PS3's, which I'm now a hopeless addict to collecting.

- For no good reason whatsoever, buying an entire set of Marklin catenary just because it was a dollar (and as it turns out, all bent)

- Burning 72 bucks in ten minutes on as many cars as I could carry when a friend took me to a club open house where they have a sale table, and then having to listen to him laugh at me for the next 4 hours for spending every cent I had.

I now pathologically collect every athearn blue box car I see. That's not a bad thing, right?

Also, to ensure you don't get cured, I can offer a few Mantua reefers I'd like to part with... Heinz, Swift, another Dairymen's, and there might be another one with them I don't remember. I have a whole box of cars that don't fit my collecting, I'll have to see what's in there. Embrace the collecting virus!

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 01 2014 :  7:20:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'm with you PRR 4800
BUT I do set aside money for next time & food later on

gmoney - PM me yer address I'll send Sanka car to you

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 16 2014 :  01:15:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I slipped a little more today...

I picked up the Mantua/Tyco Kahn's and Pacific Fruit Express reefers at a show in Mebane, NC.

And here is one I never posted because I questioned it's authenticity. However, I'm going with it:

Mantua/Tyco Swift reefer.

Also, when I started this topic I forgot about another addiction - Varney/Life Like flatcars. This one started, unbeknownst to me, when I bought a 5 dollar junk box which happened to contain a black NYC circus wagon flat. I only realized this mutation had occurred when I found a gray C&NW version I HAD to have. I'll post pics of those later (when I find them). At the show in Mebane today I got these though:

Another NYC and a Pennsy.

...help.

Glenn

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 16 2014 :  11:20:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Got this one yet? Which is SUPER nice!

Or this one?

Oh I know I made you envious &/or jealous

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 16 2014 :  1:25:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
The super nice Domino has paint missing along the top... (I'm acting like Ben now..)

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 16 2014 :  2:16:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi ben i do like the roundhouse hopper,i have this one ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 16 2014 :  2:20:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
The super nice Domino has paint missing along the top... (I'm acting like Ben now..)
Originally posted by walt - March 16 2014 :  1:25:13 PM

hehe you fine, Walt I meant nice as in the Domino Sugar logo isn't peeling
Besides has you ever seen a CLEAN grain hopper on the rails?

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 16 2014 :  3:49:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Besides has you ever seen a CLEAN grain hopper on the rails?
Originally posted by microbusss - March 16 2014 :  2:20:02 PM

I once did see a clean hopper car on the rails. It was so brand new I could smell the paint drying as the car rolled by in the train. That was probably the last time it was ever clean.

Usually, you see the paint peeling and smell the grain dust fermenting on the roof.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 16 2014 :  4:57:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:

Also, when I started this topic I forgot about another addiction - Varney/Life Like flatcars. This one started, unbeknownst to me, when I bought a 5 dollar junk box which happened to contain a black NYC circus wagon flat. I only realized this mutation had occurred when I found a gray C&NW version I HAD to have. I'll post pics of those later (when I find them). At the show in Mebane today I got these though:

...help.

Originally posted by gmoney - March 16 2014 :  01:15:37 AM

Help? By "help" do you mean send you an Erie one too? There's one of those around here somewhere. Surely you don't mean to say you need professional help...

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 16 2014 :  6:25:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The problem with Tyco is that once you get one...

...you need the rest.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 16 2014 :  6:35:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
TRUE, DaCheez & All I really wants is the Tyco RB Union Pacific cars!

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 16 2014 :  6:39:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
wow cheez that is a nice lot of tyco cars,but like walt and his trailer cars, will it ever end,ken
ps i admire you both
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 16 2014 :  6:49:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
wow cheez that is a nice lot of tyco cars,but like walt and his trailer cars, will it ever end,ken

Heh, we'll see Ken. I keep telling myself one four-car set in each roadname...but then there are the chrome versions, variations pop up, and I haven't even started on the matching engines yet... The final collection will have over 100 cars.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 16 2014 :  6:53:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
The problem with Tyco is that once you get one...

...you need the rest.

Originally posted by DaCheez - March 16 2014 :  6:25:12 PM

I think Tyco did that on purpose so that they could make more money off of you back in the day. It's called capitalism. That must've taken ages to collect.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 16 2014 6:55:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 16 2014 :  7:24:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
Got this one yet? Which is SUPER nice!

Or this one?

Oh I know I made you envious &/or jealous

Originally posted by microbusss - March 16 2014 :  11:20:34 AM

I don't yet have a Domino car. I did however see one at the show yesterday, in the usual state. Yeah Ben, I is jealous! I'm not interested in the Roundhouse car though.

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 16 2014 :  7:30:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

...help.

Help? By "help" do you mean send you an Erie one too? There's one of those around here somewhere. Surely you don't mean to say you need professional help...

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 16 2014 :  4:57:24 PM

Connor, can you say "Enabler"?

If you're serious about the Erie, PM me!

Glenn

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 17 2014 :  12:42:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:

I think Tyco did that on purpose so that they could make more money off of you back in the day. It's called capitalism. That must've taken ages to collect.

Or just to appeal to a wider demographic. You'll find different roadnames based on what part of North America you go to. If ebay wasn't a thing, I'd probably only have Canadian National and Amtrak. I've been at it off and on for about 8 years...

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 17 2014 :  12:47:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Heck DaCheez, you probably have every Tyco stream lined coaches! I happen to have Penn Central, UP, ACL and ATSF. Maybe getting some Amtrak stream liners soon. I have a whole Tyco 2-8-0 collection! If Tyco made that 2-8-0, I own it! It's a slippery slope indeed!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 17 2014 :  1:04:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Heck DaCheez, you probably have every Tyco stream lined coaches! I happen to have Penn Central, UP, ACL and ATSF. Maybe getting some Amtrak stream liners soon. I have a whole Tyco 2-8-0 collection! If Tyco made that 2-8-0, I own it! It's a slippery slope indeed!

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - March 17 2014 :  12:47:13 PM

One thing that I've wondered throughout this entire thread is, what is a slippery slope in this case? I know what it means but this has nothing to do with that. What do you mean in this case?

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 17 2014 :  1:28:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:

I'm getting there! I'm still missing Southern Railway, Canadian Pacific, and good examples of the chrome sets, as well as the re-boxed American Flyer B&O set from '59. RG and UP are absent from the picture, but I have examples of both.

quote:
One thing that I've wondered throughout this entire thread is, what is a slippery slope in this case? I know what it means but this has nothing to do with that. What do you mean in this case?

Once you start sliding down the slope you can't stop. In this case, once you start collecting one Tyco item...well, you've seen the thread...

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 17 2014 :  3:30:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Justin - March 17 2014 :  12:47:13 PM

UP?? GIMMIE!!! hehe someday I'll get the elusive UP cars grrr
Course I wants BN too

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 17 2014 :  4:05:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I knew it'd be a matter of Time before I let it out of the bag.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 17 2014 :  4:55:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

...help.

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 16 2014 :  4:57:24 PM

Connor, can you say "Enabler"?

If you're serious about the Erie, PM me!

Originally posted by gmoney - March 16 2014 :  7:30:03 PM

I suppose enabler is a good word for it. And it will probably be a good while before that damn flatcar turns up again, but I know it's around. I'll PM you when (if) it does.

--CRC

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 17 2014 :  5:19:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

I'm getting there! I'm still missing Southern Railway, Canadian Pacific, and good examples of the chrome sets, as well as the re-boxed American Flyer B&O set from '59. RG and UP are absent from the picture, but I have examples of both.

quote:

Once you start sliding down the slope you can't stop. In this case, once you start collecting one Tyco item...well, you've seen the thread...

Originally posted by DaCheez - March 17 2014 :  1:28:41 PM

Oh, ok.I don't collect mainly Tyco. I get one or two Tyco items every now and then but the engine I'm trying to hunt down at train shows right now is the Tyco Pacific because they look so dang cool.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 18 2014 :  02:46:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Except for my TOHD (Tyco Operating Hopper Disorder), my Tyco collecting has been limited to replacing lost or broken equipment from my childhood collection. WELL...at the Hickory, NC train show this past weekend, I was digging through one of the many junk boxes found on the floor at train shows when I found this:

Mildly curious, I looked it over and noticed that while it has lost it's youthful glow and definitely has its share of scuffs, scratches, and sticker residue, it's carbody is completely intact, right down to the tiny ears on the sides of the outlets! Still only mildly curious, I set it down and continued my digging. Shortly thereafter the vendor leaned over my shoulder and said "Anything in that box is a dollar." In my naïveté, I thought, "If it's only a dollar, I might as well get that unbroken Morton Salt hopper, even though it's not one I had as a kid." Purchase made, I continued exploring the train show and just before I left, made a last minute impulse purchase:

A Mantua reefer in really nice shape for two dollars. I texted my wife and told her the show was basically a bust. Then I made the journey home, still completely oblivious to the monster that had just awakened. I only became aware of its imposing presence that evening when I was showing my purchases to my wife. With a sudden shock, there it was: I WANNA COLLECT ALL OF THE CENTER FLOW HOPPERS, AND THE MANTUA REEFERS! AAAAUUUGGGHHH! SOMBODY Hhhhhelp....mmmeee...

Originally posted by gmoney - April 10 2013 :  5:40:03 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 18 2014 :  02:47:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by gmoney - April 10 2013 :  5:40:03 PM

JMcNeal

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 18 2014 :  02:50:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This is so damn funny because it so damn real. So perfectly described the Tycodicition that occurs if one lacks a firm grip. As I have failed. First time I read this post I damn near soiled myself I laughed so hard.

I have a nice center flow hopper, gray, with Kellog's rooster on it...want to trade for something???? Can never have enough Tyco.

JMcNeal

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 18 2014 :  10:42:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
This is so damn funny because it so damn real. So perfectly described the Tycodicition that occurs if one lacks a firm grip. As I have failed. First time I read this post I damn near soiled myself I laughed so hard.

I have a nice center flow hopper, gray, with Kellog's rooster on it...want to trade for something???? Can never have enough Tyco.

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 18 2014 :  02:50:43 AM

You and I talked about trading the center flow for a Tyco NH boxcar, but all my train stuff is in storage and I can't even find the box with the NH cars in it right now!

Glenn

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 21 2014 :  10:12:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Here are the two quad hoppers from my wife that started the whole hopper...thing...mess:

Here is the Rivarossi Soo Line hopper I promised earlier:

Also two from my childhood collection:

The Conrail is from my Golden Eagle set, which is still complete. I also have two more Virginian quads, but didn't see any reason to post those too.

Glenn

Edited by - gmoney on March 21 2014 10:15:04 PM

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 21 2014 :  10:23:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Here are the two quad hoppers from my wife that started the whole hopper...thing...mess:

Here is the Rivarossi Soo Line hopper I promised earlier:

Also two from my childhood collection:

The Conrail is from my Golden Eagle set, which is still complete. I also have two more Virginian quads, but didn't see any reason to post those too.

Originally posted by gmoney - March 21 2014 :  10:12:09 PM

I have the Virginian hopper.

-Steve

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 21 2014 :  10:28:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
As I promised earlier, here is the Varney/Life Like C&NW flat:

This, however, is not my first Varney/Life Like flat that I promised to show. This is one I forgot I bought! (Not sure what that means in regards to my affliction!):

*music* Slip sliding a-wayyyyy, slip sliding a-way-ay-ay-ay...

Glenn

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: boy would i love this Topic Next Topic: Crazy Tyco Piggyback String Of Cars  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000