Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 AHM 0-4-0 Shifters
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: How does this work? Topic Next Topic: B&O Steam  

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - February 28 2013 :  01:15:03 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalelocomotives/id79.html

This page needs some correction.

AHM offered two distinctly different 0-4-0 steam engines with tender. The first version, which came out in the early 1960s, is a Rivarossi model and based on the B&O prototype - in fact, the Docksider is the same engine in saddle tank configuration. This engine itself exists in two variations, one with full valve gear and one with none.

At some point in the 1970s they apparently couldn't offer this one any longer and it was replaced by an entirely different engine. The most obvious spotting difference is it has an oil headlight. This new engine I'd have to examine to be sure of who/where it was made, but it was likely Lima or Mehano given the similiarities in paint scheme for the Southern Pacific with that on the light Pacific and Mikado.

These engines came in a bunch of roadnames beyond what's listed even in the ad shown on the page. I've also run across a green Canadian National, black New York Central, and I had one as a kid that was either a Southern in green or Canadian Paciific in maroon. It would appear there are two different B&O schemes, too, since the one in the ad differs from the one illustrated on the page.

The kicker, of course, is the blue Conrail engine.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator 

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 28 2013 :  05:09:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The second loco is the Mehano Pennsy A3, which he has on a separate page:

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalelocomotives/id87.html

I'm surprised he posted those A3 pictures on the Rivarossi page. Hopefully he'll correct it soon, since enough people have a problem distinguishing Rivarossi products from Mehano already.

The Riv B&O shifter & Dockside were available up until the end of AHM. The A3 was just an addition to the AHM line in the 70's, but it was also sold by Life Like and Model Power.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - February 28 2013 :  07:55:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
The boiler front end sides also have a little circle/builder plate... molded with "RR" "AHM" or just blank.
I have a Varney "V", Rivarossi "RR" full valve-gear, and Rivarossi "blank" with simple drive-rod assembly.
The two Rivarossi's are also marked "Baltimore And Ohio" w/fvg, and a plain "B & O" has the simple drive-rods.

My Varney has an actual electric light bulb that still works. The two RR's, only divots that need a jewel or aluminum foil balled up and stuck in.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 28 2013 :  5:15:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
It's rough, but the builder's plate on the A3 says "A3s" in the center, with "Juniata Shops" above it, and "3-1906 1232" below. Not bad for the era.

Here's the Pennsy prototype.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - February 28 2013 :  11:16:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
THat page didn't seem to be linked on the main page. But it's up above because they're listed alphabetically.

My humble suggestion would be to list all steam engines by wheel arrangement first.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - March 01 2013 :  09:51:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
I have the Rivarossi A3, 0-4-0, in the SP Daylight scheme. Is this a particularly collectable version?
Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 01 2013 :  3:29:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The Daylight version may be collectible... certain fantasy schemes seem to be going that direction, as I just saw one go for over $50. The A3 is Mehano, though.
The Tyco Depot

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - March 01 2013 :  9:19:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
quote:
The Daylight version may be collectible... certain fantasy schemes seem to be going that direction, as I just saw one go for over $50. The A3 is Mehano, though.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 01 2013 :  3:29:02 PM

Right you are about Mehano. I just looked at my loco. The other 0-4-0 I have is Riva. It's got a bigger boiler and cab. I get them mixed up, just as lvrr325 was intimating at the start of this thread.

I think we may have seen the same auction, The SP A3 went for $56 but, it did have the box.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - March 01 2013 :  10:51:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I had one in my show stuff and just let it go to a guy who's going to paint it. Couldn't get $25 and it ran real nice.

I have a Conrail in the box also, a lot of looks, no interest.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dan Vincent
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - October 19 2013 :  8:12:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dan Vincent to Buddylist
My AHM 0-4-0 looks more like a B&O, with valve gear. Cute little guy.

The original box is in great shape too.

Edited by - Dan Vincent on October 19 2013 8:18:59 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 20  ~  Member Since: October 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 28 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 19 2013 :  8:23:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
My AHM 0-4-0 looks more like a B&O, with valve gear. Cute little guy.

The original box is in great shape too.

Originally posted by Dan Vincent - October 19 2013 :  8:12:01 PM

Dan,
And you would be right! That IS a B&O prototype 0-4-0.... Just like the "Dockside" its also a 'Rossi B&O prototype.....

I don't think the UP EVER had one that looked anything like the B&O's.....Same goes for the Dockside, Pennsy had them too, BUT again, I don't think they ever looked anything like the B&O's model in real life.....

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dan Vincent
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - October 19 2013 :  9:30:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dan Vincent to Buddylist
Seems to me if you kept the locos small, a pretty compact HO layout could be made with this B&O 0-4-0, a Dockside and a Mantua Goat.

Maybe a mine operation to use small ore cars and these cute little buggers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 20  ~  Member Since: October 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 28 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 19 2013 :  9:55:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Here's mine, a Conrail version. I got it not unreasonable, off Ebay, the tender is missing one truck. Looks nice next to my Conrail GG1 on top of one of my display cabinets.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - October 19 2013 :  10:36:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
That's a really good foobie,but I always did like the Conrail version!

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - October 19 2013 :  11:44:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
I owned 2. My daylight one was a mess but supplied great parts to multiple projects!! My Conrail one started off as a $10 mess I bought off ebay. Wheels were some of the dirtiest I've ever seen. Took 15 minutes to fully clean the wheels and contacts then I zapped custom made valve seat covers out of wood to the cylinders/ Turns out zap had leaked into the cylinders and froze the passage. So I had to remove the cylinders, stick a nail in the passage and tap it through the passage with a hammer. Once that was cleared it was assembled again and it wouldn't move....a wire had broke off from its contact on the motor. So I fixed the wire and soldered it back on and THEN it was running good! also replaced the fireman side handrail
And I just say when they do get up and running and are pulling a little weight, they run like a dream!
Mine may have been a pain to get running but it was worth it!

I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 20 2013 :  03:06:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Those Conrail units... Model Power?
~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - October 20 2013 :  4:30:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
Thought AHM. Didn't most model power ones have the "puff of smoke" feature? How did that work out....?
I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 20 2013 :  6:06:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Those Conrail units... Model Power?

Originally posted by EM-1 - October 20 2013 :  03:06:45 AM

No, mine has RSO on the bottom, likely AHM sold it.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 21 2013 :  12:18:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nope you guys RSO also made Model Power steamers hence the 4-6-2 that's Model Power that's IDENTICAL to the IHC models of the early days of IHC.....

Was a source of road names on the same "looking" locomotive, BUT sold under 2 different names....The 2 importers couldn't sell the same thing under 2 separate names due to copyright infringement, and patent rights.

Same goes for this 0-4-0, the tender of the Conrail unit is familiar, I had one and it was in fact a Model Power, release.....

~John

Edited by - EM-1 on October 21 2013 12:20:02 AM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 21 2013 :  12:21:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
here ya go.....

Model Power....

Notice, it was ALSO offered in B&O......... AND its a Pennsy model, NOT a B&O model the B&O model is the 'Rossi 0-4-0 See:

I don't think IHC EVER offered the A-3.....It was only Model Power! As the 0-4-0 from IHC was a "copy" of the 'Rossi model that was dropped from their offerings in the early 1990's I do believe!

~John

Edited by - EM-1 on October 21 2013 12:25:39 AM

Dan Vincent
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - October 21 2013 :  06:32:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dan Vincent to Buddylist
OK, I already have the C-16a B&O type but this little A-3 is growing on me.
Does anyone have a side by side picture of these two?

Now I can see there are at least four little 0-4-0 switchers I'd like to have.

The Dockside and Mantua Goat are the other two.

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 21 2013 :  2:41:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Dan I hate to confuse things.... BUT, there is a number of 0-4-0's made, Mantua, TYCO, Bachmann, Life-Like, Rivarossi, Model Power, IHC, Bowser, John English, Varney, MOST BRASS companies.

Some more expensive then others, but.....neat little yard guys tho... I myself, stick in or around the B&O models as I am a B&O modeler anyway.....BUT the others are nicely done and can be made into runners if done right on their interiors.....

ALSO, remember, you can get into the 0-6-0 wheel configuration too! aloto f those as well! Rivarossi, AHM, IHC, Bachmann, Life-Like, Proto-2000, GAWD the list goes on and on with these small to medium size steam switchers.....

That Mantua "Goat" you mentioned, the 0-4-0? Mantua also made the 0-6-0 "Goat" as well! BOTH Camelbacks! I have one of each!

~John

Dan Vincent
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - October 21 2013 :  9:35:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dan Vincent to Buddylist
Yes, there are a lot of copies of the old Varney "Little Joe" Dockside loco and others too.

The Mantua "Goat" camelback is my favorite in both 0-4-0 and 0-6-0. The Dockside is my next favorite and then the rest.

No doubt the 0-6-0 locos will run smoother and pull better but the little 0-4-0 locos have a lot of charm and the "Cuteness" factor.

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 21 2013 :  10:48:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Dan,
I agree, as the "Goat" Camelbacks are my ALL TIME favorites, like you closely followed by the Docksiders and then then rest follow that.....The 2 Goats I have, have serious amounts of run time on them.....And I literally mean serious amounts thousands of hours....I bought both new in and around 1989-1990, and they have run at Christmas displays, none stop, Under the Tree Service, for years, "UTTS" and then displays of places, I used to do routine maintenance on....run days and nights on end, non-stop use....AND the 0-4-0...... proves Mantua to me....That thing, in its worst condition, no time to really "re-do" the lubrication....and IT still runs. I really need to re-do all the maintenance on it but...... haven't and I don't want to kill it either but it does say something. 5 years worth of lack of maintenance, still runs strong, and is noise free! That's a Mantua!!!!!! And yeah, I am proud of it!!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 23 2013 :  9:48:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, you're right, the Mehano A3 never made it into the IHC line, which is a shame because it could easily be powered by the small Mabuchi can they used in their small steamers. I even retrofit one of my A3's with that motor, and it runs very nicely. They could have improved the gearing as well, making the axle gear the larger one.
The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 23 2013 :  10:46:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
Agreed! The A-3 could have seriously benefitted from the RSO model making it into the IHC line......they would have used the same motors IHC had been using at the time which as you said would have made it simple to repower with pretty much ANY can motor that would fit in the space, provided.

~John

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 24 2013 :  02:40:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
RSO and Mehano are the same thing. One name is like the corporate successor to the other one.

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 24 2013 :  02:48:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Yep. They also went under the name Tempo.
The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 24 2013 :  04:13:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Well why didn't the Model Power years of RSO get to do a A-3 0-4-0 in the IHC years to the Mehano if they RSO and Mehano is one and the same?

Just a design that didn't sell well and they dropped it?

~John

Dan Vincent
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - October 24 2013 :  07:21:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dan Vincent to Buddylist
One of my biggest complaints about these little gems is the oversized flanges.

I know NWSL makes new drivers and even can motor conversions but trying to figure out whet i need is more trouble than it's worth.

I wish NWSL would revise their catalogue to show available upgrades by the Mfr and model.

For instance; Upgrades for AHM C-16a 0-4-0, and another for AHM A-3 0-4-0 and then do a separate listing for knock-offs.

Same thing for all of the Varney Dockside 0-4-0 plus copies by Bachmann, Lifelike and the rest.

Edited by - Dan Vincent on October 24 2013 07:28:23 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 25 2013 :  01:24:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Dan, to my knowledge, NWSL doesn't make replacement drivers, but does have a re-gear kit for the Rivarossi C-16a. The Mehano A-3 already has RP25 drivers, and it can be fitted with a small can without too much trouble.

John, no idea, but it's possible the molds were destroyed.

The Tyco Depot

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 25 2013 :  01:41:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Who knows, maybe the tooling was damaged somehow, maybe they couldn't rework it to use the new motors the later line seemed to favor. Maybe they never got to it before they went bankrupt.

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 25 2013 :  1:47:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I'm not sure of how the reworking may have went on the A-3, BUT if they had used a gearbox type set up on the axle of the FRONT driver, which would have lengthened the drive shaft ability, this would have allowed the use of a can motor of todays standard. BUT the gearbox doesn't or would not have to be like those used in brass, (higher cost to make) BUT a gearbox like that of an Mehano 2-8-2, or 4-6-2 would have been nice........
~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 25 2013 :  3:10:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Here's my B&O A-3 with the little Mabuchi can Mehano used for small steam (4-4-0, 2-6-0, etc.) shoehorned into the cab.

To power the front drivers would take a very slim high end motor unlike anything they used, and would rob the boiler of lead. They might have been able to lower the motor in the cab a bit by retooling.

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 25 2013 :  4:00:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Why couldn't they have used a gear box on the front driver axle to point to the rear as it does and have the motor facing the same way just have the 2 shafts one from the gearbox and one from the motor, meet? I don't think it take a smaller motor, I think it be a redesigning of the gear transfer to the other axle as the power is now, to the rear most driver.....

The gearbox for the most part, would be under the boiler pointing at an angle towards the tender.....

~John

Previous Topic: How does this work? Topic Next Topic: B&O Steam  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000