Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 TYCO#7924 MODEL RAILROAD MANUAL
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Union ''76 Station Topic Next Topic: TYCO remote control accessories  

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - February 11 2013 :  1:18:59 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
I went through my original train set catalog that came with my 1980 Golden Eagle i have and in it - the listing for the Robert Schleicher Tyco model rr manual - For those of you with train sets by Tyco - if you have the original papers - look to see if it is listed in you accessory catalog - it sold for$7.95 in the 1980 accessory catalog

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator 

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 26 2013 :  7:30:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I'm working on a low-nose SD24 like the one Bob S. did for this book.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - February 26 2013 :  9:18:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Cool Alco Fan - you taking pictures as you go along?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 26 2013 :  11:30:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I hope to find that maunual at train show Saturday
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 27 2013 :  5:01:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I bought a copy of this book! It came in today!

For those who don't know, it was later reworked into "The HO Model Railroading Handbook." The 1983 and 1992 editions still do have plenty of Tyco photos and mentions, but there's also quite a bit of Athearn, along with some Bachmann, Life-Like and Model Power.
The 1992 edition also has a couple whole pages about Kadee knuckle couplers. Like I said, back then I think knuckle couplers were sort of a premium for model railroaders, but now they are mostly the norm.
It also has "Do's" and "Don'ts" for model railroading, which are new to the 1992 edition. Here are some I like...

"DON'T purchae 12-wheeled or larger diesels, 50-scale-foot-long freight cars, or 80-scale-foot passenger cars for a 4x8-foot layout. Save them for the time when you can have an around-the-wall layout with 30-inch or larger radius curves."

"DON'T rely on the rail joiners to hold or push the track into alignment." (The exception to that would be if you use roadbed track, or even those Quik-Clik or Trac-Loc thingies Tyco and Life-Like shipped with their later conventional-track sets.)

"DO use only a hard rubber eraser like those sold by Life-Like, Model Power and Bright Boy to clean the tops of all rails." (Liquid cleaner is good too!)

"DON'T attempt to use one power pack for more than one function. Some of the power packs, however, do have provision for separate controls of two trains. A third power pack will still be needed for switch machines and lighting." (I currently have my MRC Tech 4-280 for train control, along with a couple of lighting accessories and the unloading box car, but I also have two of those Life-Like power packs set up for additional lighting accessories.)

"DON'T just hope that a derailment-prone locomotive or car will eventually fix itself."

"DON'T use buildings just as they come from the box. Paint the building and or the trim a different color." (I'd do that, but I am too lazy :P )

"DON'T spread houses, stores and industries at random around the layout." (I obviously don't do this, as anyone who has seen my layout will know how I set up the buildings for a more realistic setup.)

"DON'T run wires on top of the table or beside the tracks."

The 1992 version also rearranges some of the chapters.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - May 23 2014 :  2:15:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
Chief:

Hmmm, I have kind of a special about the 2nd edition since I got it as a child and read the cover off it. Keep in mind that I noticed the odd Tyco focus even then, since it was given to me *after* I had read and reread Schleicher's later very advanced handbooks at the library, and *after* likewise adventures with Louis H. Hertz, Raymond F. Yates, and Barton K. Davis. Gad, there were a lot of classic vintage model RR books at the local libraries...but it didn't matter, the book was MINE so I read it.

Anyway, the upshot is that the thread made natsukashii so I went on Ebay and pulled the trigger on a copy...which I think is the 1992 edition. How de-Tycofied is that one? Hopefully not too much...

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - May 02 2015 :  3:52:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:

Anyway, the upshot is that the thread made natsukashii so I went on Ebay and pulled the trigger on a copy...which I think is the 1992 edition. How de-Tycofied is that one? Hopefully not too much...

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - May 23 2014 :  2:15:21 PM

Sorry for the late reply. For those who don't have it, there is still plenty of TYCO mentions in the 1992 edition. I also have the 1998 edition, which is more up-to-date. It does mention some old TYCO stuff, along with them no longer producing trains, and mentioning IHC's newer equivalents of the time. Plenty of new content is added, showcasing the newest techniques, and plenty of mentions of roadbed track (nickel-silver Bachmann E-Z Track is prominently featured.) The old Burlington Northern layout is still shown, along with a brand new layout, the Burlington Route, built with a foam base, grass made of felt, nickel-silver E-Z Track, DCC and more. I found it pretty helpful when I was building my current layout. It mentions how some people still prefer the older techniques when building model railroading (like open-bench framework, plaster scenery, sectional tie-and-rails track, blocking, etc.) My layout uses a mix of both types of techniques.

Definitely recommended reading, for new and old-timer model railroaders.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 02 2015 :  5:02:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
should look for both copies
if anyone has both Do post a pic of them together
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 03 2015 :  12:40:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
1979 to the left, 1983 to the right...

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff514/3shaygetz/IMG_0838_zpsikytxvyi.png
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 03 2015 :  10:14:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
thanks Now I'll know what to look for

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - May 03 2015 :  3:56:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
1992 edition:

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - May 03 2015 :  6:38:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Here's the 1998 edition, the version I usually look at for reference:

Several photos from the original TYCO manual are still there; in fact, some text is updated a bit to refer to their newer equivalents (if any) from IHC and Model Power.
Also worth mentioning is how the 1979 TYCO manual uses all hand-made landscaping; they ground and dye the foam themselves for grass, use real dirt, make weeds with twine and stuff, and make trees with clothesline and epoxy, or even real weeds or twigs with ground foam. I guess TYCO didn't want anyone reading this book to go with using Woodland Scenics, A.H.M. or Life-Like's landscaping products (my layout mostly uses stuff from Woodland Scenics, Life-Like and a bit of Bachmann.)
The Burlington Northern layout in the manual (all editions) uses strictly TYCO products, except for a few Atlas selectors or controllers and whatnot. You even have their blinking traffic lights used as wayside railroad signals!
I know it's a TYCO book and all, but a number of model railroaders, even those using one company like TYCO or Bachmann for the majority of their layout, would probably use other companies' stuff from time to time. (I feel combining different companies' products would make for a more realistic model railroad, it sure did with mine!)
  Previous Topic: Tyco Union ''76 Station Topic Next Topic: TYCO remote control accessories  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000