Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Train Sets
 Denver Limited
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Talgo Pics Posted! Topic Next Topic: TYCO Tropicana Set found in Allentown  

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 04 2013 :  12:32:10 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
About a month ago I posted pictures of my Tyco Rio Grande passenger set in SotW. I got around to cleaning the cars up this week and thought a little 'before and after' was in order

Before:

I disassembled the set and cleaned all the bodies. Holy crap were they ever dirty. A single swipe of the roof with a soapy paper towel turned the whole towel brown I guess I should just be glad all the dirt came off though! Once the cars were clean I re-glued some loose window inserts, flattened out the paper interiors, touched up a few paint chips, and then reassembled the cars. All the bulbs and couplers were intact and working which saved me some time. A quick drop of oil and they're back on the rails

After:

The engines are still more or less in pieces. I found a new fuel tank for the dummy unit and I'm still debating whether or not I want to drop a power truck in it. Hopefully pictures of those to come soon.

Thanks for looking!

cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator 

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - January 04 2013 :  05:08:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi DaCheez,

Those cars cleaned up real nice. Great work.

I have a set ( not RG ) that I took some of the old window inserts and added more figures for a fuller look.

Thanks for sharing.

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 04 2013 :  10:52:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Who knew Tyco's can wear suits? Those DID clean up nice! Good work... I always get a little nervous with certain paint jobs from certain eras.

And I know what you mean about the filth soup... the streamliners are especially bad because the fluting just traps all kinds of gunk. Ever clean any from a smoker? The horror!

Oh and BTW, that's a great photo angle you've set up in the 2nd shot. I *knew* there was a mirror, yet I couldn't see the Denver Limited and was wondering where the reflected CN train came from... had to study the pic for a minute. Nice work ;)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

caboose 1
Big Six

L&N Hummingbird

Posted - January 04 2013 :  10:57:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add caboose 1 to Buddylist
nice set!!
caboose 1
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 352  ~  Member Since: November 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 04 2013 :  12:56:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
darn it I want one & am JEALOUS of you!!
Yes I sure would take it to Union Station & take pics of it hehe
Superimpose it so it looks like its on the tracks

Edited by - microbusss on January 04 2013 1:10:53 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 04 2013 :  2:11:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Thanks guys! I'm VERY pleased with how these turned out

MyTyco: That's a cool idea. Sooner or later I'm going to have to reproduce the window bands for another set I'm working on. I may have to give that a shot! Any chance you have pictures of the cars you did?

Tony: Thanks! I've found that one has to be careful around the lettering/numbers on the side of the cars. Other than that the rest of the paint is pretty tough. If you look closely at the combine you can see where "Club Car" got ever so slightly smudged. That was the first car I cleaned, sort of as a test seeing as the skirts already had damage

As for the photo angle, that was a total accident! It worked out well though it seems

Buss: It would make for a nice shot. Keep your eyes open...you'll find one!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 04 2013 :  3:43:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Amazing what some dirt can mask, ain't it? I've often thought a loco or car was irreparably faded or stained, only to have it shine up beautifully. I prefer using window cleaner, because I find it removes dirt better than detergent, but I wouldn't use it on any lettering that seems unstable.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 04 2013 :  3:47:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Super nice, I can't wait to see the headend power.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 04 2013 :  4:18:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
true, DaCheez Considering that I ain't too far from Rio Grande territories
But I also want to find the UP ones Tyco did too For my E7 CofSF loco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - January 04 2013 :  6:51:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
Excellent job! Thanks for sharing with us. I'm going to be utilizing soap & water along with some compressed air (got a new 26 gallon compressor for Black Friday) to see if I can get some results like yours.

I've come to the realization that if I've got 1000 locos and rolling stock, that means I've got to clean like 20 per day once a week to dust them once a year. Hence the air compressor....

Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dan Vincent
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - October 12 2013 :  08:34:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dan Vincent to Buddylist
I see this is an old thread but I just joined today.

I have a three car DRG set too, with a working loco. Very nice looking train.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 20  ~  Member Since: October 12 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 28 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 13 2013 :  02:07:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
You're a step ahead of me then...my engines are still on pieces

Welcome to the forum!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 13 2013 :  11:14:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'm not jealous of you anymore I managed to get a set

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 13 2013 :  11:58:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Cheez, Looks like you are in need of a "wash station" huh?

That BE an interesting additive to a layout, one that actually works!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 13 2013 :  3:24:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The only automatic wash station I'd feel comfortable with would be one that blew compressed air to dust trains. I prefer to wash my streamliners by hand to prevent the lettering from smearing.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 27 2013 :  8:16:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Cool set Cheez.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 27 2013 :  9:06:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
The only automatic wash station I'd feel comfortable with would be one that blew compressed air to dust trains. I prefer to wash my streamliners by hand to prevent the lettering from smearing.

Originally posted by DaCheez - October 13 2013 :  3:24:26 PM

Eric,
Just a jet of water with a soft brush and or the roller sponge that "doesn't roll" all the time......The water jet to add pressure to blow off and the water to allow it to run and then the but no use of actual chemicals....plain ole tap water.....

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 04 2016 :  3:01:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
SWEET!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 25 2021 :  1:07:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"About a month ago I posted pictures of my Tyco Rio Grande passenger set in SOTW.
I got around to cleaning the cars up this week and thought a little before and after was in order.

Before:

I disassembled the set and cleaned all the bodies. Holy crap were they ever dirty. A single swipe of the roof with a soapy paper towel turned the whole towel brown I guess I should just be glad all the dirt came off though! Once the cars were clean I re-glued some loose window inserts, flattened out the paper interiors, touched up a few paint chips, and then reassembled the cars. All the bulbs and couplers were intact and working which saved me some time. A quick drop of oil and they're back on the rails

After:

The engines are still more or less in pieces. I found a new fuel tank for the dummy unit and I'm still debating whether or not I want to drop a power truck in it. Hopefully pictures of those to come soon.

Thanks for looking!"

cheez

Originally posted by DaCheez on January 04 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Quite a sharp looking set Eric.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 25 2021 :  2:05:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
not jelly anymore
I got one hehe
  Previous Topic: Talgo Pics Posted! Topic Next Topic: TYCO Tropicana Set found in Allentown  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000