Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Rail Power Products SD90MAC?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Plymouth MDT Rebuild- Nov 2012 Topic Next Topic: New One/Aristocraft 4-6-0  

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 18 2012 :  12:36:20 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Well guys, I thought, I'd make a posting on this custom build of mine. I some time ago bought a SD90MAC shell and frame from Rail Power Products, for a good price, and decided I was going to make a CSX (Ex. Conrail) SD80MAC.

So, I got it to the shell and is all drilled for all the grab irons and hand railing....

The next picture is of the front of the big W cab. You will see the holes for the red class lights or Marker lights!

The following picture shows what needed done to make it a SD80MAC....Only the rear long hood panel needed work to make it an SD80MAC, from an SD90MAC shell.

Also notice on the the rear panel, it has 2 open holes, these were made for the red class lights (or marker lights however you look at it) they will be operational to the model!

Another side shot.....As you see, the whole shell is painted in primer for now, its got a long ways to go, before its painted in CSX......

Shell on the built frame!

ENJOY......More to come right after this!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator 

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 18 2012 :  12:46:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
So now that I got the shell pictures posted, I'll follow them, b y the frame work I did.....

As most know, this is pretty big diesel locomotive......Well because Rail Power Products used alot of Athearn drive train parts, I thought I'd take it a step further.

This picture shows the frame and the drive. Their is 2 motors in this unit, like that of an Athearn DD40. I set out specifically to do just that. I machined the frame like that of a DD40, BUT enough space to allow me to add in a custom turned brass flywheel to connect the 2 motors, together. This flywheel is set screwed to each motor shaft!

Notice the positioning of the motors? One is running the right way the other not so much, I made it to be like this as alot doesn't know, a motor that runs what is "forward" has more speed, less torque.....YES, this is true. A motor that runs in reverse, has less speed, and more torque.... However running 2 motors reversed this way, and wired accordingly, will equal out as they are coupled shaft units. So, being said that, what better way to get power, (torque), speed, to pull long trains? Well, you see it here! So, to go a step further, I had each motor to have an out bound flywheel factory Athearn. To couple the motors, I made a custom turned flywheel with 2-56 thread machine screws to "lock" the shafts after proper adjustment was made!

And the above picture shows the custom turned flywheel with set screws! Yeah, this is one strong diesel. will be the most detailed and built diesel I ever done as right now, that falls to a Bachmann GP30 I built with drive shaft knuckles in it! On an Athearn frame!

Enjoy!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - November 18 2012 :  6:27:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Very nice work John. I'll bet it will pull a load of cars.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 18 2012 :  8:24:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That's quite a flywheel you machined, John. How are the motors mounted? Did you use RTV or screw them down? The original pads don't make them sit perfectly level, but either way I'd be worried about force exerted on the bearings due to the rigid coupling.
The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on November 18 2012 8:25:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - November 18 2012 :  8:25:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
John,

How did you mount the motors? With the rigid shaft coupling between them any misalignment in the coupling or the mounting would cause binding.

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 18 2012 :  9:50:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Thanks everyone for the compliments.....

As for the mounting of the motors, the factory mounting pads were not used, atleast not the old Blue box types!

I machined the frame, to except the newer "bolt down" Athearn motor mount pads that are black! This location was machined so that it was a level surface and then made so that the spacing could be made that the center flywheel held both rigid to each other.

With this machine work, and skill, there is no binding at all they spin freely if only one motor motor is turning (I electrically tried this) And with that the machined surfaces worked out perfectly.

IF you notice, the center flywheel is "off center" it was spun and allowed to stop, both motors to "self center" the pull of each motor, once it stopped spinning both set screws were tightened...

Then run on a series of tests, and each time not a single problem happened, so I called it good.

Coupled to a "pull gauge" it had a coupler pull of 6.2 ounces.....

Not to shabby!

~John

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 19 2012 :  5:09:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, good job getting everything in a straight line. Not having a milling machine I would find that difficult. Does the third flywheel give you any more coasting distance?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 30 2012 :  4:24:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson,
believe it or not, not only does that 3rd flywheel add more coasting, it ALSO adds 2.8 ounces of torque on the pull..... As I have done tests, with and without the flywheel on a pull gauge I got from Micro-mark! Add done with the same voltages both times and no cars coupled to it on level 3 feet of track....

I was surprised, but......yes, without a mill, that task seen here would have been REALLY difficult to achieve!

AND it will slowly drag a Athearn DD-40, wired backwards to pull against it! Which wasn't fast, but it did it, I just wish I would have taken a video of it doing it! The Athearn DD-40 was wired backwards, for this reason, and then returned to its proper wiring. And it too had 2 motors in it, BUT, no flywheels!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 30 2012 :  4:30:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, where you been? I was about to send up a flare!
The Tyco Depot

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 30 2012 :  6:38:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
EM-1 was out for Turkey Day Vacation hehe
Nice loco btw One I want as the AVR loco from Unstoppable
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - November 30 2012 :  10:02:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Guys,
Its GREAT to be back to my shop................got to missing it actually!!!!

Anyway, Thanks Ben, the SD80MAC is a GREAT loco.....I love the flared radiator sections!

Nelson, got off to a late start and was told that I could take a couple extra days in the end from my boss so....thats just what I did!

Nice part? The old route I used to take is a thing of my past travels.....12 to 13 hours one way......... This trip, took off 100 plus miles from the trip one way, and did it in 9 hours down, and 9.5 hours back! Not to shabby!

~John

Previous Topic: Plymouth MDT Rebuild- Nov 2012 Topic Next Topic: New One/Aristocraft 4-6-0  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000