Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Does this even QUALIFY as a locomotive?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mint Athearn for sale... Topic Next Topic: Rubber Band Hustling
Page: of 2

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 01 2014 :  03:15:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
The Russians built their own version of the jet powered RDC car and I recently saw some pictures of it on the internet that showed in sitting intact more or less in a Russian junkyard.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cmgnnut
Switcher

Posted - March 02 2014 :  12:57:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cmgnnut to Buddylist

Like this one ?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 63  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 08 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 02 2014 :  4:07:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
They copied the same basic principle but I don't think the Russian one was as srteamlined in the nose section.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MBVince
Switcher

SP1Avatar

Posted - March 29 2014 :  12:38:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send MBVince a Yahoo! Message  Add MBVince to Buddylist
There is a prototype for everything.

This is the Schienenzeppelin (Rail Zeppelin) built in 1930. The early ones had twin BMW 6-cylinder engines driving a fixed pitch two-bade propeller. Later it had a single 12-cylinder engine driving a four-blade propeller. On June 21 1931, it set a new world railway speed record of 143.0 mph. The drive shaft had a 7 degree up angle to create downward thrust to help keep it on the rails.

It was 84.8 ft long and had just two axles, with a wheelbase of 64 ft. The height was 9 ft 2 in. It carried 40 passengers.

It died a slow death because of dangers of using an open propeller in crowded railway stations and fierce competition to build high-speed railcars. It was sold to the German Railways in 1934 and in 1939 is was scrapped to support the German war effort.

Märklin made a model Rail Zeppelin in Z, HO, O and 1 scales. One true-to-original version is the Z scale model, produced as a limited production run in 1982 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Z scale.

Kato/Hobbytrain created an N scale version of the Schienenzeppelin in 2005; which includes a PAL format DVD, with original footage of the prototype train.

Rare footage of the Rail Zeppelin in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ID_ktSoLY#t=11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7PIIV0nIs

And the Marklin 3077 Rail Zeppelin...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIVJWyayFds

Vince
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 79  ~  Member Since: January 28 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 29 2014 :  1:43:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
if it runs on track and now where else its train or a tram,unlike this loco ken
after

before

Edited by - catfordken on March 29 2014 1:54:30 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 29 2014 :  1:51:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
if it runs on track and now where else its train or a tram,unlike this loco ken

Originally posted by catfordken - March 29 2014 :  1:43:26 PM

Did the Russians or whoever made it really use that thing?

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 29 2014 :  1:56:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
this may give you the answer ken
http://bashny.net/t/en/17774

Edited by - catfordken on March 29 2014 2:05:22 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 29 2014 :  2:15:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Sifting through the 'interesting' translation of the Russian, it sounds like the Russian military attempted to construct a mobile power station out of a railroad locomotive - among other things. Seems like they had issues with the drivetrain
What a wild machine. I like it

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 29 2014 :  2:48:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Sifting through the 'interesting' translation of the Russian, it sounds like the Russian military attempted to construct a mobile power station out of a railroad locomotive - among other things. Seems like they had issues with the drivetrain
What a wild machine. I like it

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - March 29 2014 :  2:15:06 PM

Who needs armored trucks when you can have trains with tires?

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 31 2014 :  12:20:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
I remember a story from Canada a couple of years back when there was a severe power shortage due to heavy snow. The CP or CN (I forget which one) drove a locomotive down the street of a city in Canada without the use of tracks. I believe they used chains to steer. The destination was the local power generating station where they hooked up cables to the locomotive and used it as a power plant to generate electricity for the town to get them through the crisis.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 31 2014 :  09:23:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I remember a story from Canada a couple of years back when there was a severe power shortage due to heavy snow. The CP or CN (I forget which one) drove a locomotive down the street of a city in Canada without the use of tracks. I believe they used chains to steer. The destination was the local power generating station where they hooked up cables to the locomotive and used it as a power plant to generate electricity for the town to get them through the crisis.
Originally posted by metalsmith1 - March 31 2014 :  12:20:54 AM

Yeah I saw the pix of that Plus the weight of loco broke the streets too
It was CN btw
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 31 2014 :  09:53:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

That's pretty crazy if you ask me.

-Steve

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 20 2014 :  12:21:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
The thread that just keeps coming back. I found an image of the Russian Jet powered RDC car on Pinetrest, here she is.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 20 2014 :  12:33:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
The thread that just keeps coming back. I found an image of the Russian Jet powered RDC car on Pinetrest, here she is.

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - August 20 2014 :  12:21:13 AM

The Russians made one too?

-Steve

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - August 20 2014 :  01:19:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:

It was a CN M420W, as it happens I was just looking at the picture of that in an old Trains magazine the other day but I'm to lazy to go find which one

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - August 27 2014 :  6:45:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
WELL In my latest aquisition aquired one of the athearn rail props mine is white w red propeller

one blade off though could be in box

LOTS TO GO THROUGH
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Mint Athearn for sale... Topic Next Topic: Rubber Band Hustling  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000