Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Does this even QUALIFY as a locomotive?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mint Athearn for sale... Topic Next Topic: Rubber Band Hustling
Page: of 2

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 15 2012 :  9:23:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
With out couplers this thing can't pull any cars, so it really isn't a locomotive. None-the-less this machine which is comprised of parts from Athearn (frame and wheels) and Atlas (shell) is the fastest thing on my rails!
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 15 2012 :  9:25:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
DUDE! that a very hard to find item! it came out in either the 50s or 60s
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 15 2012 :  9:28:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Yes it is hard to find, I have been searching on Ebay for years for one of these. I payed quite a bit for it but it was worth it!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 15 2012 :  9:33:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I think this thing was developed back when people thought slot car racing was going to replace model railroading. Clearly someone at Atlas had a brain storm and came up with the idea of combining slot car racing, model railroading, and model airplane flying into one little package. This was the result but it clearly didn't catch on!
Edited by - Srenchin on August 15 2012 9:34:26 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 15 2012 :  10:09:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Looks like the thing moves right along......WOW!
~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 15 2012 :  10:31:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Yes it is fast, I can't run it on 18 inch radius curves at full "thrust" because it will throw itself off the track!

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 15 2012 :  11:14:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That's awesome! Nice find
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - August 16 2012 :  12:05:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
...it's missing Robin and his sidecar.

Nice find...
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 16 2012 :  12:30:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
check this out ken
/tyco/forum/uploaded/catfordken/20120816123035_TURBORACERFLYER.jpg
http://www.hoseeker.net/ahc/ahcsalesflier1964pg02.jpg

Edited by - catfordken on August 16 2012 12:31:40 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 16 2012 :  5:47:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Also it was either Atlas or someone else that had race cars that went on railroad tracks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 16 2012 :  8:26:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Also it was either Atlas or someone else that had race cars that went on railroad tracks

Originally posted by microbusss - August 16 2012 :  5:47:50 PM

Lionel had racing cars ....

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 16 2012 :  8:44:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
You know, it wouldn't be hard to kitbash a home built propeller powered turbo locomotive. My "off the shelf" unit is comprised of a motor with a long armature mounted on an Athearn Hustler frame. How hard would it be to attach a model airplane body to a hustler shell to produce your own propeller powered Turbo Express?

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 16 2012 :  9:52:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
You know, it wouldn't be hard to kitbash a home built propeller powered turbo locomotive. .. How hard would it be to attach a model airplane body to a hustler shell to produce your own ?

Originally posted by Srenchin - August 16 2012 :  8:44:29 PM

Probably not too hard. Will have to look into that, I was thinking the same thing. I have plenty of Hustler chassis's, but only a few of the rubber-band powered, still, would be fun to do. Put that on the project list I have.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 17 2012 :  7:54:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
check this out ken

"Propellers whirl...
Racers speed...
And little Timmy loses the end of his finger!"
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 17 2012 :  11:27:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

"Propellers whirl...
Racers speed...
And little Timmy loses the end of his finger!"

True, today there would be a lawsuit.

I'd love to see those Lionel cars, not to mention that old Aurora Bel Air.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 18 2012 :  05:00:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nelson, and Eric, WELL if this is true "True, today there would be a lawsuit." and this is true ""Propellers whirl...
Racers speed...
And little Timmy loses the end of his finger!""

The only way would be for me to add a METAL blade on the props!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 18 2012 :  11:03:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
According to the advertisement, the purchaser was meant to decorate their propeller car with stickers, do you think I should paint my turbo racer up (it's just raw black plastic) or should I just leave it be? I wish there was a way to get more of the shells so I wouldn't feel guilt about painting one up.

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 19 2012 :  12:12:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
how big is the shell?

I could cast them in resin plastic, VERY easily! without worry of patent rights as its age well............ its older then 7 years!

~John

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 19 2012 :  8:43:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
The shell is about the size of an HO scale box car, how much would it cost to make a few copies?

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - September 06 2012 :  7:47:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Is that chassis the same as the Athearn/Lionel unit with rubber band drive? With your shell off they look the same. I've got one sans bands, but I don't think it would move all that well on its own, let alone by propeller drive. You're giving me crazy ideas if they are the same!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - September 06 2012 :  8:29:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
Well, here's one of those HO-gauge Lionel race cars. I know it's gear drive, but doesn't that chassis look a bit familiar?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIONEL-HO-068-EXECUTIVE-INSPECTION-CAR-YELLOW-RACE-CAR-6414-AUTO-NICE-/130751324446?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1e7162e11e

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 06 2012 :  9:33:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
So that's what those Lionel cars were like. Is there anything that hasn't been put on a Hustler/Husky chassis over the years?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - September 07 2012 :  09:00:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
elec-trick-train-plane-automobile...

"And now, here is it's debut run, the... uh... Thing on... uh, rail, er, road... tracks... that propeller is really... uh propelling that... (see previous identification given) ... that, uh "Whatzit" go! So fast it's coming off the rail... er rails... "

...hmmm, rails providing power to the motor, to propel it fast enough to take flight... and right before a curve... a nose-point landing, SPLAT.

"............................AND, now showing in the elephant arena..."

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - November 23 2012 :  11:53:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I passed on one at $60 in September. Wonder if that was a mistake or not? It was the red one.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - November 24 2012 :  5:19:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
Was this the "BATLOCOMOBILE" that Robin got caught speeding in years ago????

Siouxlake Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - January 06 2014 :  12:36:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Can you believe that I have actually seen photos of a German prototype for something very similar called a Rail Zeppelin. The thought of a huge spinning prop pulling in to a station platform gives me shivers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 06 2014 :  3:33:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Can you believe that I have actually seen photos of a German prototype for something very similar called a Rail Zeppelin. The thought of a huge spinning prop pulling in to a station platform gives me shivers.

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - January 06 2014 :  12:36:04 PM

Yes, someone has made that HO "engine", back in the 50's?, and also a recent re-pop. Both sell for over $200. I want one! One of my club members actually has an original , and he DCC'ed it and runs it at shows sometimes. FAST! I think Marklin did one, not sure about the 2-rail version. That was a concern, with people being so close to the prop at rail stations, I think they posted guards to keep curious people from getting too close to it. I believe it was destroyed during the war, or dismantled.

Jerry in VA

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - January 06 2014 :  4:51:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - January 06 2014 :  12:36:04 PM

Yes, someone has made that HO "engine", back in the 50's?, and also a recent re-pop. Both sell for over $200. I want one! One of my club members actually has an original , and he DCC'ed it and runs it at shows sometimes. FAST! I think Marklin did one, not sure about the 2-rail version. That was a concern, with people being so close to the prop at rail stations, I think they posted guards to keep curious people from getting too close to it. I believe it was destroyed during the war, or dismantled.

Jerry in VA

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - January 06 2014 :  3:33:06 PM

I have the Marklin version - 3 rail. I saw it once when I was a kid at FAO Schwartz, and always thought about owning it as it was so different. Finally got it about 10 years ago. Its the only Marklin piece I have. Its in storage - here is what it looks like:

And the real one years ago:

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 107  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - January 07 2014 :  02:22:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
What is interesting is that the model runs on conventional 4 wheel tucks while the prototype photos appear to be on single axles front and rear. It makes me wonder about the stability of the prototype and the potential for excessive oscillations of the carbody at high speed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - January 07 2014 :  12:08:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
The relatively sharp curves of model track would necessitate 4-wheel trucks on the model. I do wonder though if the seemingly long wheelbase on the prototype caused problems on curves. It's possible though that the prototype's wheelbase was no longer than, say, a 4-coupled steam locomotive.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - January 07 2014 :  10:43:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
Apparently it had some trouble itself. From the Wikipeda page - "In 1932 Kruckensberg (the German engineer who designed it) began a new project with the rail car involving significant modifications. It was cut just behind the forward wheels and received a complete new front end with a two-axle bogie"
You can read about it here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schienenzeppelin
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 107  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

nkpberk755
Switcher

Posted - January 07 2014 :  11:54:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add nkpberk755 to Buddylist
hi, this is an unrelated question. I just finished working on a replica train set of the passenger train from the classic film "Silver Streak". I just bought all the track to complete my layout, and one problem occurred, the lead unit which i think may be an Athearn couldn't pull the heavy consist by itself (being the only powered unit on the train, while the other engine is a dummy unit) the train did move but very slowly and the wheels on the engine kept spinning alot. i bought the passenger cars and the engines used at various train shows, and the lead engine from a local pawn shop. My question is if i were to buy another powered cp rail unit in place of the dummy and place it facing backwards from the lead unit,(like in the movie) could that improve the pulling power or would that damage both engines or cause them to pull against one another? i've tried to search this online and could find nothing on it. thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: January 07 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 08 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - January 08 2014 :  12:18:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
They will run just fine together, it is commonplace to run multiple powered units with no problem. If they are Athearn and you are using metal couplers such as Kadees, you could get intermittent shorts between the engines if the couplers boxes are not insulated. if you are running an A-B unit lashup however you can orient the chassis to run in the same direction and have no problems. Flip over the B-unit and look for the tapered end of the chassis and this will be the front, or look for the steam generator detail on the roof, this will be the rear of the unit.

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - January 08 2014 :  8:40:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
Nkpberk755, how many cars in your Silver Streak consist? Its possible if the engine is not Athearn, the wheels spinning may mean there is a traction tire missing. Or the engine may not have enough weight to pull all the cars. Some of the lower end engines do not have enough weight to pull more than 3 or 4 cars.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 08 2014 :  8:54:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
The lead unit which i think may be an Athearn couldn't pull the heavy consist by itself (being the only powered unit on the train, while the other engine is a dummy unit) the train did move but very slowly and the wheels on the engine kept spinning alot. i bought the passenger cars and the engines used at various train shows, and the lead engine from a local pawn shop.
Originally posted by nkpberk755 - January 07 2014 :  11:54:50 PM

Athearns pull together well with each other. I have checked a Stewart unit and an Athearn together and they differ in speed, so try to make your second engine another Athearn.

Another thing to look at is weight. Some Athearn F-7's have a big zamac weight straddling the motor and some do not. If yours does not, you could add a substantial amount of weight to it and not overload the motor. That would help with the wheel slip.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - January 08 2014 :  10:16:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Yes I agree, Athearn offered what they called a super F-7 that had a giant weight added to the chassis in lieu of flywheels. One of these things will pull a house down. Another option is to ream out the axle points of the cars with an Exxact Socket tool. Even with the factory axles they will roll much smoother and with less effort.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 08 2014 :  10:55:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Athearn offered what they called a super F-7 that had a giant weight added to the chassis in lieu of flywheels.
Originally posted by metalsmith1 - January 08 2014 :  10:16:20 PM

Or shall we say, "in addition to flywheels?"

Athearn did a nice job on this chassis.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - January 09 2014 :  01:04:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
For some reason they offered both versions concurrently, never have figured out exactly why, but it seems to me that the non-flywheel version was a couple of bucks cheaper.

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - January 09 2014 :  06:22:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
One was cheaper than the other. In the 1970s a few dollars one way or the other still made a difference to people.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

String boB
Switcher

Posted - January 09 2014 :  3:25:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add String boB to Buddylist
quote:
I think this thing was developed back when people thought slot car racing was going to replace model railroading. Clearly someone at Atlas had a brain storm and came up with the idea of combining slot car racing, model railroading, and model airplane flying into one little package. This was the result but it clearly didn't catch on!

Originally posted by Srenchin - August 15 2012 :  9:33:18 PM

I thought Mantua was the one that offered those. Looks a little like the cast iron toys I woul send flying across the dining room floor and into the tsble legs on my grandmothers antique oak table. Needless to say, that was not one of my best ideas

String Bob
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 85  ~  Member Since: December 13 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 27 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

String boB
Switcher

Posted - January 09 2014 :  3:26:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add String boB to Buddylist
quote:
Yes it is fast, I can't run it on 18 inch radius curves at full "thrust" because it will throw itself off the track!

Originally posted by Srenchin - August 15 2012 :  10:31:49 PM

Bet it would a job if it T-bonsd a slot car!

String Bob
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 85  ~  Member Since: December 13 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 27 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 09 2014 :  3:32:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'd love to have them cars that went on HO track

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - January 09 2014 :  3:34:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
The pics of the slot cars that ran on RR tracks has me thinking, if they came in a set designed to run on a roadway system that included HO rails, then it logically follows that HO scale rail equipment would also work on the street system. This system would therefore make an incredible find for anyone building a traction system or a layout with extensive street trackage.

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - February 02 2014 :  02:51:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Guess what I found at a swap meet today! I think I paid too much for it but it was the only one in the place so I am not complaining. I will go out on a limb and say yes, it does qualify as a locomotive, er sort of, I guess, in a way, I suppose...whatev
Edited by - metalsmith1 on February 02 2014 02:56:13 AM

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - February 09 2014 :  01:41:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Here is one by Lionel that I found in a model train museum in Crans Montana Switzerland.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 09 2014 :  12:25:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
The pics of the slot cars that ran on RR tracks has me thinking, if they came in a set designed to run on a roadway system that included HO rails, then it logically follows that HO scale rail equipment would also work on the street system. This system would therefore make an incredible find for anyone building a traction system or a layout with extensive street trackage.
Originally posted by metalsmith1 - January 09 2014 :  3:34:24 PM

Lionel 027 is doing that concept with vehicles
Its called SuperStreets
http://www.lionel.com/Products/Finder/SearchResults.cfm?doAction=Browse&CategoryID=452

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 22 2014 :  3:53:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Tri-ang, a British model railroad company also made one of these. Here's a picture of it that I found online.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on February 22 2014 3:56:42 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - February 28 2014 :  01:37:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
That's crazy but I love it It even looks British>

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - February 28 2014 :  11:34:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
That's crazy but I love it It even looks British>

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - February 28 2014 :  01:37:42 AM

I think it's kinda cool too.It extremely rare though so I doubt anyone could find one. Let alone in the UK.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 28 2014 :  12:17:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi nice battlespace turbo car,the triang battlespace pieces are highly collectable see link,ken
http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/battleturbo.htm
they go for between £17-40 in fair condition
£41-80 in good condition
£81-350 in near mint to mint condition
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - February 28 2014 :  2:27:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
American Prototype "Does this even QUALIFY as a locomotive"

I wonder if it was outfitted with ejection seats?

Regards, John ******************

When you become senile, you won't know it. <> Bill Cosby
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Mint Athearn for sale... Topic Next Topic: Rubber Band Hustling  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000