Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Phase l PT coupler fix, (also Ph l Super 630 Alco)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Repairing old locomotives Topic Next Topic: Repairing steps  

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 29 2012 :  8:31:36 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
A lot of the early Phase l PT powered, and Rivarossi powered Phase l 630 Alcos, couplers are often broken off and missing since the box or draft gear is a separate piece that has two prongs that slip into the truck underframe. I went to run one of my Alco 630s today with that type of truck and decided to try a fix.
The picture shows what I did with plastistruct sheet and Kadee replacement draft gear. Cut some of the sheet to size, file a notch so it will slip through the slot, file the back of the plate to plum up the coupler and glue things together with a Tenax type glue.
I could reinforce these, the next time, by making the plate in an L-shape to glue to the top of the box. I can use a sharpie to blacken the plastic.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on July 29 2012 8:32:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator 

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 30 2012 :  9:32:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Here's a Gen ll Alco, or PH l PT, with a similar truck underframe as the big Alco.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - July 30 2012 :  11:29:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Hey, thats a pretty cool fix. Have you tested it yet? How many cars or what type of train have you been able to pull? I just wonder how strong the glue joint might be? Maybe it's just me, but in the past I've always had iffy results just trying to get truck side frames to stay put with whatever that black shiny plastic is that Tyco used under the trucks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 151  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - July 31 2012 :  03:10:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Nice replacement for a hard to find part.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 31 2012 :  06:32:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Ray,
Thank you.

New Hudson,
Thanks I have epoxied the boxes on the metal tongue of Mantua locos and they seem to last. The original draft gear on the 430 Alco pictured is not as heavy as the replacement so I hope it will last, of course I was hoping to find original parts and that's tough to do. I'll need to test it in lash-ups and long consists for sure.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on July 31 2012 06:40:15 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 31 2012 :  12:56:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The Plastruct and the Kadee box are both styrene, so they should hold together very well. The slippery plastic the truck underframes are made from is Delrin, and it doesn't glue well. It will hold better if you roughen the mating surfaces with sandpaper and and CA the sideframe in place.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 31 2012 :  2:49:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Nelson,

Good advice about the CA and the side frames, I use epoxy to do that and somtimes Pro-weld as a quick fix. I just left the LHS and got a new bottle of Pro-Weld that I used on this project. I want to be able to slip this out of the slot on the under frame in case I need to.
I need to learn to use CA.
I could work this fix to use the Kadees if I wanted and could have spare draft gear ready to switch as needed.

Alco Fan

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 31 2012 :  5:03:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
AF, I'm surprised you've had any luck with Pro-weld on the sideframes, since the Delrin underframes are impervious to solvent. You don't have to use CA... thick glues like contact cement, Gorilla Glue, etc. should work well too.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 31 2012 :  6:41:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
quote:
AF, I'm surprised you've had any luck with Pro-weld on the sideframes, since the Delrin underframes are impervious to solvent. You don't have to use CA... thick glues like contact cement, Gorilla Glue, etc. should work well too.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - July 31 2012 :  5:03:13 PM

Nelson,
The pro-weld softens the paint and it sticks or swells inside the opening. I have a tube type glue but it takes to long to dry, I haven't used it much and it smears easily. I'll look into the others :)

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on July 31 2012 8:18:22 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 31 2012 :  8:31:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Some GP20s also have this kind of draft gear. I have an original IC GP20 that has Alco side frames and the seller's packer broke the box off. I set out to fix it the same way but noticed the coupler didn't have the clearance and stick out like the intact rear one so I added a strip of plastistruct to the part that fits in the under frame slot then re-attached the coupler box.
Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on July 31 2012 8:35:58 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 31 2012 :  9:44:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

Nelson,
The pro-weld softens the paint and it sticks or swells inside the opening. I have a tube type glue but it takes to long to dry, I haven't used it much and it smears easily. I'll look into the others :)

Originally posted by Alco Fan - July 31 2012 :  6:41:33 PM

AF, this stuff would do the trick.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Amazing-E-6000-Craft-Glue-2-oz/17808713

They call it craft glue, but I glued a can motor to those rubbery motor mounts in an old Atlas/Roco diesel, and I don't think it's ever coming loose. It can be really messy, but it works. I notice they also package it for automotive use.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on July 31 2012 9:45:28 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 31 2012 :  10:05:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Nelson,
That stuff must be great. Thanks.

Alco Fan

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - July 31 2012 :  11:24:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
So I'm curious, how well does the phase I Alco compare to the PT Alco's in performance?
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - August 01 2012 :  1:15:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
quote:
So I'm curious, how well does the phase I Alco compare to the PT Alco's in performance?

Originally posted by rgcw5 - July 31 2012 :  11:24:55 PM

They are both slow but steady. The ones I have may not be broken in yet. The 430 in the above pictures is in mint-like condition showing very little wear and the same with the ICG Alco. It takes a lot of throttle to get them to moving.

Alco Fan

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 01 2012 :  8:42:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
How is the RR 630 noise-wise? Their square sleeve bearing motor was their noisiest, so I'm guessing it has quite a growl.
The Tyco Depot

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - August 01 2012 :  10:17:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Actually I have 2 of the ICG and one is slow and one is smoother, no wooble but it is a growler.
Alco Fan

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 01 2012 :  10:33:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Put one of their old ball bearing motors in it. That's a neat sound.
The Tyco Depot

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - August 02 2012 :  06:41:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
quote:
Actually I have 2 of the ICG and one is slow and one is smoother, no wobble but it is a growler.

Originally posted by Alco Fan - August 01 2012 :  10:17:18 PM

Alco Fan

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - August 03 2012 :  09:47:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Correction:

quote:

Originally posted by rgcw5 - July 31 2012 :  11:24:55 PM

The early PH l Alcos, with running-gear by Rivarossi are growlers and do start off without much throttle and are good pullers. I answered that question incorrectly and I'm sorry to flip-flop on this issue :)
The early power-torque C430 is slow to start and uses more throttle to get it moving rut seems strong, I haven't run that one too much.

Alco Fan
  Previous Topic: Repairing old locomotives Topic Next Topic: Repairing steps  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000