Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Forum Related
 Forum Updates
 New Member Map
   Only Administrators can post NEW topics in this forum
   Only Administrators can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Number of Visitors Trending Analysis. Topic Next Topic: Added  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - November 06 2009 :  5:39:28 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I've implemented a new Member Map which for the time being will replace the one we've used for years. This one is quite different than the old one.

The major benefit over the old one is that this mapping system is not limited to just the United States, it's global.

It's also not dependent on user input. This does not read from the forum database at all. When anyone connects to our site a star is added to the map showing the location of their local ISP origination point. This map is anonymous in comparison to the older member map.

You will notice some of the starts "ebb". Those are users which are currently in the forums. This is very close to real time, not perfect, but very very close. When you see that ebb expand out suddenly it is indicating the user just hit another page, again this is very close to real time.

This application is built with flash and you can zoom in on it by right clicking over the map. You're able to zoom in a few times. One caveat though. Once you zoom in twice or more and hover over a star to get the location information it's not readable. I think the coolness factor equalizes that.

I wanted to be able to have both maps going but there are bugs to work out. As I just typed that a solution may have come to mind.

I like this map, it's starting to fill in quickly. I implemented it last night and already we've had visitors from almost all continents.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 
  Previous Topic: Number of Visitors Trending Analysis. Topic Next Topic: Added  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000