Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Rewheeling a Mantua diesel!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Custom painting of ATSF flat car Topic Next Topic: Mehano shell - %&!!  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 10 2012 :  8:27:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
About a year ago, I picked up a 1953 production Mantua metal Shark diesel in pretty nice shape (aside from sloppy custom paint). It was an OK runner after cleaning it and tuning it up, but the plastic wheels were all a little off-center and causing a bad wobble. On top of that, the electrical pickup was unreliable. So! I upgraded to new, all metal wheels and added some electrical wipers!

Mantua uses 40" wheels on their diesels with a 1/8" axle. For this conversion, I used Precision Scale wheels because they were available. For anyone else, I would highly recommend using NWSL 37129-4 axles. The PSC wheels are great, but their axles are slightly larger than 3/32" (0.097"), making them more difficult to work with. NWSL axles are a true 3/32" diameter (0.093", it makes a huge difference!). I also used 1/8" brass tubing, thin brass sheet, fine wire (I use 24 gauge), thin plastic bubble packaging, and Kadee centering springs.

I started by polishing the brass tube to a high shine. I then cut it to a 14mm length to press onto each axle.

Next was to remove a wheel to press the tubing on. The extra diameter of the PSC axles made this very difficult. They will probably be closer to a slip fit on NWSL axles, so a dent or two may need to be tapped into the center of the tube to grab the axle.

I then removed the gear from the Mantua axle and pressed it onto the new one, and then pressed the wheel back on. An NMRA standards gauge was very helpful for this. The gear needed to be as well centered as possible.

I tested each axle after completion for free rolling and smooth running. Because the tubing was so tight on the PSC axles, the ends warped a tiny bit and had to be ground down to eliminate binding. Once every axle was spinning freely, I ran the whole engine on track to make sure all was working well. The rear truck grounded wheels go to the right rail, and the front truck to the left.

To improve electrical pickup, I decided to make wipers for the backs of the insulated wheels. Kadee centering springs worked very well for this. They give enough tension for reliable conductivity without causing a lot of drag, they're easy to modify, and they're easy to solder.

To make the wipers, I cut the centering springs in half, bent the arms almost all the way back, and soldered the halves to a 4x35mm piece of brass sheet. The MU-1 truck is a little longer than the more common MU-2, so a 30mm length of brass should work better for those. There are little tabs above the arms which had to be cut off for clearance (marked in the picture). I then soldered a wire to the center of the sheet to reach the motor (about 2" for the motor truck, and about 4" for the dummy truck). To insulate the assemblies from the metal truck frame, I cut clear plastic bubble into sheets the same size as the wiper assemblies and super glued them to the bottom.

Once the glue was strong and dry, I super glued the wipers to the bottom of the trucks where they would contact the insulated wheels. I further adjusted the wiper arms for best electrical contact.

To connect the wires, I soldered the one from the motor truck directly to the brush contact for the left rail. I soldered a terminal to the other one and screwed it to the motor truck frame. Then I tested to make sure all wheels were providing good electrical pickup. Some running helped to get everything working just right.

Once all was working well, I reassembled the model.

My Mantua Sharknose is now a very smooth and more reliable runner.[:D] Because there are no tires, some extra weight was needed to improve traction.

This project should work with all MU-1 and MU-2 power trucks built by Mantua. The later MU-2 trucks made by Tyco and Roco (for Tyco) should also be compatible, but many of them use plastic construction that might require a little modification to work.

In addition to this, I upgraded the original very weak alnico magnet to neodymium, and the performance improved substantially! And as long as I'm posting this, I think my PRR paint and decal job turned out pretty well.

So there you go! If anyone ever wants to upgrade their Mantua power trucks, this is a great way to do it! This project didn't get any attention on the MRR forum, but maybe someone here might find it more helpful.

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 10 2012 :  9:02:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Brandon,
VERY nice! Altho, I'm the type of guy that would have chucked up some brass bar stock of around .300 of an inch thick (diameter), into the Unimat or Microlux, and made those axles to fit without the trouble. I understand and know not everyone has a lathe nevermind 2 of them, so.......But then again, I mold my own detail parts as well!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 10 2012 :  10:18:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That's a really slick looking Shark, Darth. Great paint and decal work.

Judging by the axle gears, it looks like it might have more reduction than the MU-2 truck. Clever solution. I'm surprised you got the tubing over the axles without damaging it.

I'd keep my eyes peeled for a second power truck. Without traction tires speed matching won't be as critical.

Nelson

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 11 2012 :  12:39:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Once again, great work Brandon. Thanks for (re)posting. It just goes to show that with a little work those MU's can be restored better than new. - Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - July 11 2012 :  01:22:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
I agree, a very sweet paint job.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - July 11 2012 :  06:47:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Very nicely done Darth! It seems everyone else is complimenting you on the paint job, which is very nicely done by the way , but let me be the first to really compliment you on how awesome your solution is to the poor electrical contact problems those motor designs have. Your solution to utilize the insulated wheels as additional pick-up was just short of genius! Awesome!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 11 2012 :  08:52:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Darth Santa Fe,
Great work and really nice Brunswick paint job.
Using insulated wheels for extra electrical pick-up is a clever idea.
Most of all you used a Mantua/ Tyco for your project.
Thanks

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on July 11 2012 08:56:09 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - July 11 2012 :  11:06:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist

Edited by - shaygetz on July 11 2012 11:08:28 AM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Custom painting of ATSF flat car Topic Next Topic: Mehano shell - %&!!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000