Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 First Sioux Lake Cars!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Dr. Frankenstein''s Athearn Topic Next Topic: Attack of the Clone  

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - July 09 2012 :  8:33:02 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
I wanted to do something with a Model Power Amtrak Water car and a Bachmann 40 ft box car, both of which were fairly plastic-looking and cheaply purchased for abput $8.00 eah at Hobby Town a while ago. I had been collecting images of MOW cars that looked interesting, so I thought that the Minnesota, Sioux Lake & Western Ry could use some of it's own MOW cars. As this is not a large railroad, but a proud one, I thought this weould be an excellent opportunity to use my decal-making skills to start putting my own railroad's label on the rolling stock. I started with these:

To make the water car more realistic, I wanted some fixtures, but as Plastruct valves are not easy to but in single lots of 1 only, I elected to make my own from scrap parts trees in my leftover box. The larger pipe is for flushing the tank anf the smaller one is for the spray hose connection with a valve implied by the design. Note that this is a water car, not weed control car.

After painting MOW gray, the flat car was given a light india ink wash, as most of the deck is covered by the work cab and the tank, so little of the deck surface shows.

I also decide to use a modified primer red/ MOW (Walmart Gray) color scheme, to relate these cars to my railroads principal colors, primer red and BNSF orange, by using one ofthe colors in a two-tone scheme.

I made the necessary decals for each of the cars, the flat car, the water tank and the box car, and then used Autocad to create the lettering, as I previously did on my scale test car. The difference this time, is that my railroad logo was also made. I have several variations of it- red diagonals+ letters with orange center diamond, as is used here; the inverse, with orange letters+diagonals with red center diamond for darker backrounds, and ones without any border lines, for other uses- all in four separate sizes.

I realize that I could have printed on white inkjet paper- if I had any- but I can always paint a white backround for the logo, until I get some white inkjet paper later on.

I made the hose from very thin plastic round rods, then coiled them and CA-glued them into a final shape before painting. I made the hose nozzle from the end of a party toothpick and a small metal jewelry collar from my daughter's old necklace-making hobby kit (that has sat unused for 5 years now, sigh!) I painted the hose flat black and the nozzle aluminum.

I put a few of my own grabs on the cab structure, after carefully removing the molded on ones, but left other molded-on grabs as is.

Both cars were given Intermountain metal wheels, but I elected to keep the cheapo whisker couplers on for now, until I lay in a supply of more durable Kadee whisker ones.

Here are the final images of the two cars:

Hope you like them!

Siouxlake/ Ron - and now you know why my handle is "Siouxlake" !!!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 09 2012 :  9:00:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Wow, nice detailing! Impressive. You do good work. WIsh I had the patience for it. Maybe when I'm older. LOL.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - July 09 2012 :  9:32:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi,

Nice work! Clean and crisp lines. Very well done.
I like the color choises as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 10 2012 :  08:36:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi Ron love that colour scheme,and the mods you made,look brilliant,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 10 2012 :  2:28:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Neat work as always, Ron. I really like the coiled up hose. So that's just bent styrene rod?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - July 10 2012 :  4:45:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
Nels-

That's .040 styrene rod (Evergreen) that I originally bought for some long- forgotten purpose, but it is quite flexible w/o breaking. I used CA adhesive instead of regular ModelMasters styrene glue, as I thought the latter would act so as to destroy the rod shape, while the CA is hidden by the paint cover.

I am now working on a boom car for an Athearn 250ton crane, both projects to continue and, I guess, complete the MOW theme and car set. I will post on those soon.

Those old blue boxes are still great!

Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - July 10 2012 :  9:43:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Nice work there. I like your creative additions to the water car, and the paint scheme reminds me of the NYC Pacemaker... classy ;)

I've amassed a fair set of cars for an MOW consist, but oddly enough I can't settle on what color to make them!

Just before CSX transferred the line in Frankfort to RJ Corman, they ran a weed train through town. Its most interesting car was a boxcar that had one half removed above the frame, with the tank and sprayer a and other equipment exposed. It was still in original (faded) SCL / Family Lines paint down to the logos and such. Form certainly followed function with that one!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - July 10 2012 :  9:59:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
The color scheme, if I didn't explain it better above, is that I use Rustoleum Primer Red
and Modelflex Scalecoat BNSF Orange as my railroad colors (the MSL&W being a subsidiary of the Great Northern which still exists in my railroad alternate universe; hence, the orange- the primer red sort-of simulates one of the colors of changing maple leaves in autumn back up in Minnesota), shown in previous posts on my center cab rebuild and an SW-7 calf unit
I cleaned up and lit with LEDs.

As MOW cars are usually completely light gray or similar, I didn't want to be generic, so I opted for the use of one of my railroad colors in combination with the light gray (otherwise known as Walmart Primer Gray- nothing but the best, er, uh, cheapest, for my railroad!).
The BNSF Orange and gray were not the best visual contrast, so I opted for the Primer Red and the light gray, later realizing the similarity to the NYC Pacemaker cars.

However, the split scheme works well it seems, and by using the primer red, the affiliation
with my railroad is represented.

I am only doing the boom car and the railroad crane to complete my MOW set, as my layout is small and the monotony of having so many cars of identical livery would eventually wear
out the fun a bit.

I know- sort of a detailed explanation of this arcane stuff, but then, it's MY railroad, as everyone tells each other!

Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 11 2012 :  01:44:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I like the faux Pacemaker scheme, too.

I'm surprised you got the Evergreen to bend like that, since I've found it to be a bit stiff. I have found Plastruct to be bendable, and have taken to using their tubing or rod for replacing broken screw bosses (or posts) inside locos. The plastic is soft enough for a screw to thread it without splitting.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - July 11 2012 :  11:04:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Your work here is amazing and professionally done. Had I not seen the before and after pictures, I would have thought you bought it like that. This is why I love this site, the ideas and knowledge everyone is willing to share. Great job!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - July 11 2012 :  11:12:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist

Edited by - shaygetz on July 11 2012 11:14:38 AM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 11 2012 :  6:31:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Quite impressive Ron. Those decals turned out sharp and they really enhance the paint job. - Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 11 2012 :  7:23:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool I want you to do me one boxcar
Now do up a caboose!

Edited by - microbusss on July 11 2012 7:24:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 20 2021 :  4:46:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

That first photo showing the Dixieland box car is gorgeous.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Dr. Frankenstein''s Athearn Topic Next Topic: Attack of the Clone  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000