Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: jerry sr ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Tyco Railroad Model Manual ?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Hand-operated container loader Topic Next Topic: Bought - Rare Esso on ebay -  

walt
Big Boy

Yummy

Posted - May 06 2012 :  10:44:06 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Does anyone have this Tyco railroad manual?? and I am wondering what it has in it....
Walt
Edited by - walt on May 06 2012 10:47:09 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2180  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Tyco Service Center

Posted - May 07 2012 :  04:25:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I always wondered too!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2190  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

track

Posted - May 07 2012 :  07:15:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
I have it and the later reprint...the line about sending your locomotive with a broken coupler to an authorized TYCO repair center is priceless. And who'd a thunk you could have a card order operating session with TYCO equipment... http://misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com/2009/09/tyco-model-railroad-manual-1979.html
Presume not upon God’s patience...It may be His sword is drawn out of the scabbard, His arrows may be settled in His bow, and perhaps there is but a little time before you may feel the edge of the one or the point of the other, and then there will be no more time for patience in God to us, or petition from us to Him. If we die without repentance, He will have no longer mercy to pardon, nor patience to bear.---Stephen Charnock

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2336  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 07 2012 :  09:40:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send microbusss an AOL message  Send microbusss a Yahoo! Message  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oooo I want one! Anyone got a extra?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7422  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken
Big Boy

ken

Posted - May 07 2012 :  10:11:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i have a spare one as walts picture,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 7304  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - May 07 2012 :  3:20:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Walt - I have it also - It is an attempt to cover model railroading using Tyco trains and accessories from the time period. Covers scenery wiring and even kitbashing Tyco locos. It has been referred by some as the Haynes version of model railroading. Everything is Tyco in the manual except trees and scenery which it doesn't specify manufacturer of those. - I am going to say fantasy meets model railroad. One comical picture in the book is the Tyco traffic signal over a switch track? My overall opinion of the book is it is not bad considering the time it was printed. -Die hard rivet counters would probably scarf at it
]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2457  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

track

Posted - May 07 2012 :  6:32:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:
My overall opinion of the book is it is not bad considering the time it was printed. -Die hard rivet counters would probably scarf at it...
Originally posted by Brianstyco - May 07 2012 :  3:20:38 PM

I second that opinion...it's an easy read for someone just getting into the hobby, especially a younger modeler.

Presume not upon God’s patience...It may be His sword is drawn out of the scabbard, His arrows may be settled in His bow, and perhaps there is but a little time before you may feel the edge of the one or the point of the other, and then there will be no more time for patience in God to us, or petition from us to Him. If we die without repentance, He will have no longer mercy to pardon, nor patience to bear.---Stephen Charnock

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2336  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - May 07 2012 :  7:19:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Brian;

Yeah the Haynes or the "Chilton"! Unless you plan on an empire or have money to waste it's a good guide.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4188  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: February 28 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 07 2012 :  8:08:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
oooo I want one! Anyone got a extra?

Originally posted by microbusss - May 07 2012 :  09:40:12 AM

Anyone interested in buying one of these Tyco books, Amazon.com has them listed. I just bought one a few minutes ago online for $4.77 plus 3.99 shipping, They go up from there to 86 bucks Here's a link if you want a short cut -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0801968569/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

They also have some of Jim Volhard's Maintaining and Repairing your Scale Model trains, starts at $10 on up. I bought one of those also. I figured I better put my order in BEFORE I post this, or they may all disappear overnight! LOL.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2687  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Tyco Service Center

Posted - May 07 2012 :  8:25:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Wow, just looked Jerry and some nut want $84 for it! I think I'll buy the $4 one just for fun.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2190  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Yummy

Posted - May 07 2012 :  9:21:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I watched the one listed on Ebay for a week. With 22 hours to go and no bids I thought I would get the bidding started. The book sold for 99 cents but the shipping was near $8. I guess $9 overall isn't bad...
Walt
Edited by - walt on May 13 2012 03:25:30 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2180  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 07 2012 :  9:32:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send microbusss an AOL message  Send microbusss a Yahoo! Message  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'll look for this next Sat the 19th during Depot Days in Cheyenne
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7422  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

newhudson
Little Six

VGNAvatar

Posted - May 09 2012 :  06:18:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add newhudson to Buddylist
Wow! Back when I was in 6th or 7th grade that book cost me something like eight GP20/SD24 shells that I hacked up with cheap Atlas saws. I still have that book, but the cover and every page is so dog eared.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 148  ~  Member Since: December 29 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - May 13 2012 :  01:53:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
You guys missed the duplicated pictures in color & black-n-white...

Did you miss also, the guy using the gold TYCO powerpack as a hand-held throttle, too?

I had this book when it didn't have "TYCO" in the title, plus, two more books followed this one and went nowhere close to kiddie trains, but into brass and hand-laying rail & ties...

"...a long, long time ago, I could remember..."

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1038  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - May 13 2012 :  08:42:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Ah, no John.

Don't think anyting was "missed" just not mentioned. Rather important distinction.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4188  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: February 28 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Yummy

Posted - May 13 2012 :  11:42:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Well, the USPS mail tracker shows this book is in town & will be delivered on Monday... Should be interesting to leaf thru it. I'm not expecting anything great.. but I will enjoy it anyway...
Walt
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2180  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 15 2012 :  7:32:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I got my $4.47 Tyco book in the mail today. While it's not a high-end Modeler's bible, it is fun to look at, all the items in the book are Tyco, shows many of the engines, rolling stock,and accessories in use. Some Kit-bashing of TYco engines and buildings are in there, plus basic modeling from benchwork to detailing to track-laying. Most pictures are black and white, with a few in color in the center of the book. Overall, it is worth the money I paid for it, $8.00+ with shipping, just to have a nice Tyco-oriented model train book around. I'm not disappointed at all in it. It's more oriented to over-views of modeling than actually step-by-step modeling. If you love Tyco trains, and just want a neat reference guide using nothing but Tyco, then this book will fill the bill. I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it, though. I do love how they used the automobiles throughout the book, many used are the Camaro and AMX off the Auto-loader.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2687  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Yummy

Posted - May 16 2012 :  12:27:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I received my book on Monday and I feel about it just like Jerry. Kinda neat to own for what it is.

The cars (Camaros) are located in some really strange place since there's no road anywhere... I also love the placement of the Tyco blinking traffic light amoung the trains...

My biggest surprise was the photos that had the Kenworth trucks in them. The book is 1979, and I never knew the KW's were avalible then. I thought they were 1980's.. Guess I was wrong...

Walt
  Previous Topic: Hand-operated container loader Topic Next Topic: Bought - Rare Esso on ebay -  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000