Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Crown gondola, never heard of them before...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: walker 1947 international Topic Next Topic: Any clue as to the maker of this 0-6-0?  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - April 07 2012 :  9:57:22 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
While at the Bunker Hill WV show, I found this unusual HO gon, not sure who the maker Crown is. Anyone know? Only $4, so it gets added to my eclectic consist collection . At least it's B&O, a fav of mine.

Curious as to who made this. Or, someone can tell me what CROWN is.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 07 2012 :  11:53:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
It's the same one Life-Like sold for years that came to them from the Varney line. I'm guessing Varney era because of the sprung trucks. Maybe it was sold under another name?
The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on April 07 2012 11:54:51 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - April 08 2012 :  10:23:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Funny, I see a Varney resemblence now that you point it out, but the other Crown cars are not like that.

To answer: Crown Cars were the first product that that gave Kader Industries - now the parent company of Bachmann - an entry into the model railroad market. They were introduced by Mantua (Tyco) as a "subsidiary" line in the early 60's. It was a short-lived brand, but oddly enough - Tyco's new made-in-Hong-Kong cars appeared shortly thereafter.

The crown cars all soon reappear from AHM... then Bachmann. At thtis time they drop the spring trucks and the "Crown" brand is removed from the chassis, though the "OK Globe" ID mark remains for a time on AHM releases.

Compare any Crown tri-dome tank, boxcar, caboose, or HD Flat to a Kader release (AHM , Bachmann, Life-Like, Lionel) - it is the same car.

As you can see, Kader had no qualms about supplying the materials for other vendors, even at the same time. Athearn used to be the same way. But since their purchase of Bachmann in the early 1980's, most of Kader's heritage stuff has remained in that line.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - April 08 2012 :  10:54:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

To answer: Crown Cars were the first product that that gave Kader Industries - now the parent company of Bachmann - an entry into the model railroad market.

Originally posted by spiderj76 - April 08 2012 :  10:23:16 PM

Ah, so Kader bought Bachmann? Interesting. Love learning new stuff. And the little historical twists and turns of the model railroading industry. Thanks, Tony L.

- Jerry -

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 09 2012 :  12:29:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
It looks like they both got the same tooling:

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/lifelikefreightcars/id46.html

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalefreightcars/id45.html

This one definitely has the older Varney/Life-Like body mounted coupler boxes with the melted or peened over plastic pin.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 10 2012 :  6:05:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I hate to be the person to point this out, but we're all wrong! I have the January issue of Model Railroader 1964, and on the inside cover it has a "Crown Products" add, at the bottom of the page it says the following:

Division of Mantua Metal Products Co., INC. Woodbury Heights NJ

Withthis add, they show pictures of the following cars:

50 ton Box Car (Interesting way of classification to a box car!)
3 Dome Tank Car.
50 ton Gondola Ca.
50 ton Flat Car Tandem Trucks & Load.
8 wheel Steel Caboose

VERY interesting! The cars all look to be 40 foot length, except the caboose in the picture! Its shorter, and resembles the Athearn "Off Center Cupola Caboose"

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - April 15 2012 :  7:47:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I have seen Crown cars sold in small boxes, and possibly carded with a plastic bubble like a Hot Wheels car, sold by AHM. Most of the Crown cars are clones of Athearn tooling, except for that 40' Gondola.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 15 2012 :  9:59:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
I have seen Crown cars sold in small boxes, and possibly carded with a plastic bubble like a Hot Wheels car, sold by AHM. Most of the Crown cars are clones of Athearn tooling, except for that 40' Gondola.

Originally posted by lvrr325 - April 15 2012 :  7:47:53 PM

ODD! As the 1964 add in Model Railroader I have, states they are a division of Mantua! Weird!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - April 15 2012 :  10:20:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Strange that Mantua would import stuff to compete with itself, pretty sure these were made overseas from day 1. Like so many other HO items, the dies never die, the importer just keeps on changing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - April 25 2012 :  12:14:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Thank you, I've been wondering too. I'm in the middle of doing rehabilitative surgery on a Crown three-dome texaco tanker.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: walker 1947 international Topic Next Topic: Any clue as to the maker of this 0-6-0?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000