Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Athearn Hi-F drive problems
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Good Burger Topic Next Topic: Tyco gp20 offer  

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - March 19 2012 :  10:20:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
Hi all.

I'm working on getting my Athearn RDC running again. I bought it and a dummy RDC for $10 total at a train show in February. The motor runs, but she needs almost 100% throttle to get her moving, and her motor gets hot in no time at all. With the driveshafts disconnected, she runs fairly smoothly with very little power, but hook up those driveshafts, and she starts cooking. I've had the power pack go into "Overload" mode a couple times when she gets too hot.

So, anyone have any tips on how to fix this issue? Were the Hi-F motors just poor runners? I have one other operational rubber band drive GP7, but she has an aftermarket motor (very loud but fairly smooth).

Thanks.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 19 2012 :  10:50:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I don't think they were all poor runners. You may just have one with burnt armature wiring, weak magnet, etc. Although from what I read, usually a weak magnet makes it run FASTER, but pulls more current and gets hot. I'd look to see if there is crud packed between the armature pads, in the separation between copper pads. BUild-up there could cause a short, loss of power due to resistance bleed-over to the next contact, etc. Also the bearings could be dry, in an open-frame motor like that. Does the armature spin freely when the rubber bands are off? Do the AXLES spin freely when the band is off? Check both those, may be some binding somewhere.

Jerry

Has a few Hi-F RDC's which he hasn't run yet

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 19 2012 :  10:51:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Just clean up and lube the trucks. Be sure to check the wheels are freely spinning and nothing is binding. Also, clean anything electrically and clean the motor brushes and armature.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - March 19 2012 :  11:13:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
I did clean and lube just about everything on the unit, but I'll go back and take another look at the wheel journals. I'll also check what Gremlin mentioned about the commutator. I haven't cleaned out the slots between the commutator plates, so perhaps that is the problem. I mean, it's only twice as old as I am.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for the tips.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 19 2012 :  11:15:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
WR, the original Hi-F motors were weak to begin with, and could only get worse if they lost magnetism due to overheating, disassembly, etc. A motor with a weak magnet will run faster with no load, but once a load is put on it it may not even have enough power to move a loco. That's what this sounds like, assuming there are no binds anywhere, but there's little in a Hi-F to bind. Be sure you have the axles spinning in the same direction.

If this is the early open frame motors and not one of the later motors (which were stronger, btw) you can replace the bad magnet with a stack of rare earth magnets, which will make the motor stronger than it was when new. If Jerry's maintenance tips don't work, then that would be your best option.

http://apexmagnets.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - March 20 2012 :  12:30:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
NP to the rescue!!!!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - March 20 2012 :  1:56:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
Well, I ended up switching out the RDC's motor for an identical one from an Athearn F7. She runs now, and seems to suck a lot less juice, so I think you guys were spot on about the magnets being shot. Maybe it's time to look into one of those rare earth magnets so I can re-magnetize these older motors. Thanks all.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Good Burger Topic Next Topic: Tyco gp20 offer  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000