Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 kitbashed Transfer caboose
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New One/Aristocraft 4-6-0 Topic Next Topic: Rebuilt Tyco F7  

RobW
Switcher

BOCapitalAvatar

Posted - February 22 2012 :  4:10:42 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RobW to Buddylist
I kitbashed a Model Power 40' flatcar work car into a Transfer caboose. What do you guys think!
click on this link...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwynn/6921451109/
Edited by - RobW on February 22 2012 5:32:29 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6  ~  Member Since: September 06 2010  ~  Last Visit: June 04 2017 Alert Moderator 

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - February 22 2012 :  4:30:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi RobW,

The picture is not showing for me.

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 22 2012 :  4:31:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
me too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 22 2012 :  4:33:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Three.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 22 2012 :  5:46:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Rob:

is that completely freelanced, or is it based on something you saw?

Interesting choices; the railings don't seem to be symmetrical nor obviously is the roof.

Great Character to it. Well done.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 22 2012 :  5:55:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
for those who cannot see the photo right click on the red/white and blue square,click on open picture in new tab ken
nice work

Edited by - catfordken on February 22 2012 5:57:33 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RobW
Switcher

BOCapitalAvatar

Posted - February 22 2012 :  5:57:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RobW to Buddylist
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwynn/6921451109/[quote]Rob:completely freelanced

is that completely freelanced, or is it based on something you saw?

Interesting choices; the railings don't seem to be symmetrical nor obviously is the roof.

Great Character to it. Well done.

-Gareth

Originally posted by romcat - February 22 2012 :  5:46:25 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6  ~  Member Since: September 06 2010  ~  Last Visit: June 04 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - February 22 2012 :  6:08:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
I like it...its got that small town short line feel to it....
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 22 2012 :  6:19:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hi Rob:

Well it's very interesting work. To follow on then; you have several openings in the railings seen from this side. The slanted railing one on the left, the one adjacent to the roof ladder, I assume for access to that ladder and finally the most typical one on the far side right end. So why did you make those choices. I'm also curious as to why the roof overhangs one end and not the other.

Btw, are you familiar with the Milwaukee Roads "Long" caboose?

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

RobW
Switcher

BOCapitalAvatar

Posted - February 22 2012 :  6:26:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RobW to Buddylist
I don't know why i left the roof that way but i am thinking of doing another but more so based off a prototype. This was my first attempt at kit-bashing. I know the B&O/Chessie system did not have them but i like them.
quote:
Hi Rob:

Well it's very interesting work. To follow on then; you have several openings in the railings seen from this side. The slanted railing one on the left, the one adjacent to the roof ladder, I assume for access to that ladder and finally the most typical one on the far side right end. So why did you make those choices. I'm also curious as to why the roof overhangs one end and not the other.

Btw, are you familiar with the Milwaukee Roads "Long" caboose?

-Gareth

Originally posted by romcat - February 22 2012 :  6:19:04 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6  ~  Member Since: September 06 2010  ~  Last Visit: June 04 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 22 2012 :  6:41:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Here's a pic of the MR Long Caboose:

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

siouxlake
Hudson

Posted - February 22 2012 :  7:41:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add siouxlake to Buddylist
Rob-

In that you freelanced this work caboose, you gave it more significance as it might represent what a small railroad would do with available materials, as you appeared to do in scale. Very well done and I'm sure it adds character to your layout/collection.

Siouxlake/Ron
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: September 21 2011  ~  Last Visit: December 21 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 22 2012 :  8:07:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Hi Rob:

Well it's very interesting work. I'm also curious as to why the roof overhangs one end and not the other.

-Gareth

Originally posted by romcat - February 22 2012 :  6:19:04 PM

That looks like a Model Power Crane tender caboose cabin, so if you look at Crane Tenders, they seem to have one end overhang, and the boom side flush. I have several of the MP work cabooses to turn into my tourist train Getaway & Cabooze, so I have seen plenty of that style of roof. I like the way it turned out, quite frankly.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RobW
Switcher

BOCapitalAvatar

Posted - February 22 2012 :  8:41:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RobW to Buddylist
That is sweet....
quote:

-Gareth

Originally posted by romcat - February 22 2012 :  6:41:00 PM

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - February 22 2012 :  9:32:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Rob, that's actually a lot more useful, interesting, and convincing than the crane car it used to be. Nice work!

Gareth - whoa... where did the need for that one come from? BBQ party in the backshop? Looks like something hit the end, knocked the cabin halfway off the frame, and then they built p around the result on a dare

My girls recently discovered that a Plasticville office shed perfectly fits on e a Tyco skid flat. I've been planning to investigate this...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 22 2012 :  9:58:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Tony:

There's actually a real one of these....

Milwaukee Road had it built....

Can't find a prototype picture.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - February 22 2012 :  11:27:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
best I could do....

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 23 2012 :  02:06:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Love those Model Power cabooses they are perfect kitbash fodder. Nice work Rob!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 23 2012 :  08:15:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Thanks Chris, that was the pic I was looking for.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - February 23 2012 :  10:16:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi Robw,

I really like that car! Very nice work. Do you have others you can show us?

Mytyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - February 23 2012 :  5:26:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
quote:

-Gareth

Originally posted by romcat - February 22 2012 :  6:41:00 PM

that is just cool. i might try & build one myself.

jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 23 2012 :  5:52:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
It was that loooonngg Why?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RobW
Switcher

BOCapitalAvatar

Posted - February 23 2012 :  11:37:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RobW to Buddylist
No, not now> that was my first time. I am thinking of doing something with a Tyco 62' foot tank car. making it a little more realistic...
quote:
Hi Robw,

I really like that car! Very nice work. Do you have others you can show us?

Mytyco

Originally posted by mytyco - February 23 2012 :  10:16:29 AM

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - February 24 2012 :  09:21:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
quote:
It was that loooonngg Why?

Originally posted by microbusss - February 23 2012 :  5:52:38 PM

From what scant info I found, they were built to use in their coal trains, as the "normal" caboose was too light for the rotary dumper. Only two were built and one is in a museum....somewhere.
Hope that helps.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 24 2012 :  09:38:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
I had read that to. The longer heavier Van (Caboose) was to "anchor" the coal trains.

I cacn't figure out what the weight needing to be heavier has to do with a rotary dumper or why I've seen the term "anchor" used? Surely they didn't rotate the Caboose. Rather curious.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Edited by - romcat on February 24 2012 09:38:59 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 24 2012 :  5:04:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
no but I'll bet the caboose had a rotary coupler on it

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 19 2012 :  02:02:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Just noticed this posting!

Rob,
NICE work! I plan to make a few of those too in Chessie, AND CSX.....

Gareth, DAMN thats a HUGE transfer caboose!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Islanderh93
Little Six

Catskill Mountain Railroad

Posted - November 19 2012 :  9:37:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Islanderh93 to Buddylist
quote:
I kitbashed a Model Power 40' flatcar work car into a Transfer caboose. What do you guys think!
click on this link...

Originally posted by RobW - February 22 2012 :  4:10:42 PM

I LOVE IT. I am interested in making a transfer caboose, painted for the "Bedford and Eastport" (a friend's layout), which had a car float operation. So a MP flat car eh? I can get one of those cheap at trainland, or I'll pull apart my borken Lionel missle car. Where did you get the carbody? Whose railings are those? The other details I can find elsewhere, and besides: I can't copy your car, because that would be cheating! I personally feel transfer cabooses, especially charismatic home-built ones like this should all be one of-a-kind.

Only superlatives to describe how nice that car is, I hope she serves you well.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 19 2012 :  10:26:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Nicely done. I like all the details you added. - Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Islanderh93
Little Six

Catskill Mountain Railroad

Posted - November 21 2012 :  12:36:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Islanderh93 to Buddylist
So is that just a modifed MP work caboose? Moved the cabin, ditched the crane, details, railing, painted deck and weathering? Is that really all you did? I still feel like it looks better than the sum of those parts. I think it must be the paint.

Speaking of parts, I need those railings for another project. Who makes 'em? An air compressor like that would also be great in so many places.

If that's all you did to make that car, forgive me, but I've just got to have a car similar to that. I'm not on the Chessie, but with a repaint I think that's the car to make.

Thank you so much for the ideas, I know what I need to do this week now. That would be a great starter kitbash project, for the novice like me. Do you think that's a Model Railroader worthy project? I mean, consdiering how so few newbies to the hobby actually build things anymore, that would be a great first project.

I need to just shutup and go build something already. But again thank you.

RGCW5, why would that monstorous caboose need weight for a rotary dumper? Did they rotate the caboose too? My only guess is that the caboose wasn't supposed to rotate, but if it was too light, the copler wouldnt' quite "rotate" on the last car, so the caboose would kinda-sorta start to rotate. If so, that must have been quite a day for the crewmen!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 182  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: New One/Aristocraft 4-6-0 Topic Next Topic: Rebuilt Tyco F7  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000