Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Engine Facility/ Shop Facility
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A couple of buildings Iam working on Topic Next Topic: Roman Mosaics in Britain  

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - January 16 2012 :  01:29:08 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
My favorite part of a prototype as well as a model layout is the engien facility. Engine houses, Diesel shops etc, Show me your facilities!! :)
I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator 

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - January 19 2012 :  7:38:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
My roundhouse:
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - January 19 2012 :  9:16:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
Love this, but wheres the steam?!
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 19 2012 :  11:09:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Now, Tkruger, you KNOW you're not foolin' but some of the engineers some of the time with that turntable I KNOW some of those large diesels will not clear and sit on that turntable without a truck hanging over the other side. I see at least 3 or 4 large diesels that are "marooned" by the Hand of God placing them on those sidings. Right? But otherwise it looks believable. ( and it's more than I have, which is no turntable, I traded mine away some time last year ).

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - January 20 2012 :  12:45:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
I thought tthat was funny I just recieved my Walthers 3 track railroad shop so i'll be assembling the kit and have pictures IF it'll let me, i love working on my shop area
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - January 20 2012 :  12:14:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Don't have one in HO, but I do in N scale. To the rear is a vintage Revell, Arnold Rapido diesel house, it is complete, the roof and side waiting for me to install the door raising mechanism...this is the whole of my N scale locomotive fleet...

Edited by - shaygetz on January 20 2012 12:16:26 PM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - January 23 2012 :  10:09:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
quote:
Now, Tkruger, you KNOW you're not foolin' but some of the engineers some of the time with that turntable I KNOW some of those large diesels will not clear and sit on that turntable without a truck hanging over the other side. I see at least 3 or 4 large diesels that are "marooned" by the Hand of God placing them on those sidings. Right? But otherwise it looks believable. ( and it's more than I have, which is no turntable, I traded mine away some time last year ).

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - January 19 2012 :  11:09:53 PM

Actually all of the un MUed locomotives fit. The largest there are the ATT RDC, Athearn BB SD40-2, Athearn BB FM Trainmaster and the Athearn BB FP45. The turn table is 9 inch. The wheelbase front axle front truck to rear axle rear truck is 9 inches. Everything beyond that point is hanging over. That is why most engines are pulled back an inch from the turn table. I know this is not prototypical to have part of the loco hang over but I am limited by space.

As for why is there no steam there, the table is to small. They are in other areas of the yard or on the line.

The plow rig blow lives in the round house. It has to back out of the yard since the overhang is to great to clear the shed containing the motor.

Edited by - tkruger on January 23 2012 10:14:54 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 23 2012 :  2:29:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is the engine facility at frankford on the PGWRR.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 04 2014 :  3:05:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:

Actually all of the un MUed locomotives fit. The largest there are the ATT RDC, Athearn BB SD40-2, Athearn BB FM Trainmaster and the Athearn BB FP45. The turn table is 9 inch. The wheelbase front axle front truck to rear axle rear truck is 9 inches. Everything beyond that point is hanging over. That is why most engines are pulled back an inch from the turn table. I know this is not prototypical to have part of the loco hang over but I am limited by space.

Originally posted by tkruger - January 23 2012 :  10:09:47 AM

tk:

The prototype has been known to do worse things.

Picture this. It's 1956. You're in charge of the PRR Columbus engine facilities. PRR has leased some Santa Fe oil-burning 2-10-4's to make up for a power shortage. They've got a wheelbase of 109 feet 8 inches. Your turntable bridge is 110 feet long. What do you do?

Answer:

You make up little rail ramps for the turntable end, back up the rear tender truck until it climbs the rail, and turn the loco with the tender end hanging out in space.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 05 2014 :  2:49:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - June 04 2014 :  3:05:58 PM

Have you given any thought to the skill of the engineer that backed into that exact spot without overshooting? The engine rolls freely up to the ramp and then needs a lot of power to climb. Then, you have to stop at just the right time. There should be a hall of fame for people that skilled.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 05 2014 :  4:03:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
[quote]
Have you given any thought to the skill of the engineer that backed into that exact spot without overshooting? The engine rolls freely up to the ramp and then needs a lot of power to climb. Then, you have to stop at just the right time. There should be a hall of fame for people that skilled.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - June 05 2014 :  2:49:55 PM

The steam era was an age of legend, a time of heroes.

Another thing to note is that this loco could in no way have been balanced while turning. MR went through a phase a few years back, after learning about center-pivot turntables, where the need for balancing was reiterated every time a turntable made an appearance, but this one either is not the type that needs to be balanced, or maybe the turning mechanism had enough brute force to overcome any excess resistance.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on June 05 2014 4:06:48 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 04 2015 :  8:35:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
My humble Enginehouse, superdetailed from a basic Rix Kit....

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 04 2015 :  9:08:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Your humble engine house looks pretty darn good. The inspection pits are a neat touch.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 05 2015 :  12:12:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
quote:
* Your humble engine house looks pretty darn good. The inspection pits are a neat touch.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - October 04 2015 :  9:08:00 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. Evergreen got a LOT of my $$$ on this build....
I have this "thing" about inside walls in HO Scale structures. These were done with .020 styrene sheet. The floor was .060 styrene, and the pits were by Peco, with .010 styrene added for details!

This was for the Structures portion of a NMRA regional contest....

You should have seen what WON!!!

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 29 2019 :  09:04:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
It is to bad your host Photo site does what it does with photos. You should have just downloaded them directly into your post. Here you don't have to rely on a host photo site, and you can edit anytime changing, or removing a photo. Here you decide what to do with your posts.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 29 2019 09:07:09 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 29 2019 :  09:12:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My last shop facility was this one. This is my last photo of it.
frank

[size=6[ GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN/size=6]

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 29 2019 09:16:26 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 29 2019 :  3:51:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
My last shop facility was this one. This is my last photo of it.
frank

[size=6[ GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN/size=6]

Originally posted by toptrain - November 29 2019 :  09:12:13 AM

I hope you kept it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: A couple of buildings Iam working on Topic Next Topic: Roman Mosaics in Britain  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000