Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Future Kitbashing Projects.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Weekendrailroader''s latest ''bash. Topic Next Topic: Rolling Stock Kitbashing Candidates; criteria?  

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 09 2011 :  9:44:43 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Here we can have a place for sharing information on possible kitbashing projects. A project you thought of, but because it wasn't related to the Railroads that you model, or just dont have the time to do, You would like to pass on to another person that can complete the task of building the model. Like maybe you seen a photo of a locomotive with similarities to a locomotive that has been produced and it readily available. I have seen such a engine. It is a decapod, 2-10-0. The locomotive hasn't be mass produced for the train market. It may have been made in Brass. The reason I won't be making the model is it is of a Canadian prototype . I notice the photo, and made some mental remarks on what it would take to do it . It would be a good project for one who modeled the Canadian Pacific. Also not a very complicated one. A replacement of a cab. Changing the steam and sand domes type and location. And some work on the pilot. The tender will need some structural changes also.

* Here is the photo I found in a very old railroad publication.

* As you can see it is very similar to the Russian Decapod the Bachmann makes. Having the working drive without any modifications is very time saving. The cab can be cut off of a Junker Triang - Hornby Pacific, or a Kemtron manufactured on e found at a train show or on E-Bay. Kemtron had made them in Brass or plastic. A front pilot can be acquired from Bowser. The domes from Tyco 2-8-0s. You will have to change the tender side walls, by cutting them to their new shape and making a new tender deck and coal bunker. More structural work needs to be done to the tender than the loco. If you take your time and think out all your moves before you do them, and be careful, it should work out alright.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on December 10 2011 9:44:10 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 09 2011 :  10:44:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Frank:

No surprise you like another Dec!

That's an R2 Class one from the CPR and they were available from Van Hobbies (PFM)/Samhongsa

http://members.shaw.ca/cprsteam/r2a.htm

Last unpainted one I saw was about $5-600 although the prices are coming down on a lot of that generation of brass.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Edited by - romcat on December 09 2011 10:45:28 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 10 2011 :  07:00:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
not to forget that the r2a was made from a r1 0-6-6-0 which although not a failure,its running costs out weighed its advantages ken

r2a has 2 domes

r2b has 3 domes

r3b 5759 (from the ashes of the r2bs the r3bs were built as oil fired decapods from scratch)

i think its great when you can see a loco progress,from a good design to a practical one which gave good service
bit like the challenger to the big boy

Edited by - catfordken on December 10 2011 07:29:51 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 10 2011 :  12:06:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* HI Ken and Gareth. Now with these photos all that work on the tender can be saved by a clear vision tender. It seems the photo I put in was some kind of a first idea by the CP. Clear vision tenders can come from AHM - Rivarossi, And Triang . This makes this a very easy kitbash with good results. Actually get the work down to the sand dome and cab. That unique fireman's side cylinder exhaust pipe going up and tilting back can be done. Enlarge the smoke box won't happen unless a overpowering prototype urge overcomes the modeler.
* Coming across one of these would help alot also.
** frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 10 2011 :  12:39:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here are 3 engines you can get for donner parts. The triang pacific's tender is a match for the photo I put in.
frank

Triang Pacific 4-6-2

AHM Rivarossi Indiana Harbor Belt 0-8-0.

Made be Rivarossi for AHM and Lionel, Export style 0-8-0 or 2-8-0.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 10 2011 12:39:56 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 10 2011 :  1:34:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Frank:

Got the Kemtron Cab in my shells and boilers box.

Details by Eric sells the cab in Resin for lees than 1/2 the Kemtron one....

A little triiming on the Tender "Gunwales" will work.

and you figure that the smokebox needs to be larger than the existing Bachmann Dec?

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 10 2011 :  6:36:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Frank!

Do you need a back to that cab? I have some spare brass backs (only).

Let me know.

I just had another engine arrive today with the brass all-weather cab too.

Sean

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - December 10 2011 :  10:02:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Ken, that 0-6-6-0 is an interesting beast! Frank, I have a trashed Tyco 0-8-0/2-8-0 boiler with good domes. No smoke box.If ya want 'em, PM me!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 22 2012 :  12:49:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Here s a kitbashing project to put on my List. A Cary, Penn-Line PRR N1 2-10-2.
This is all I have right now. Got to start looking for a trailing truck and cab to start with.
frank

toptrain

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 22 2012 :  2:11:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

AHM Rivarossi Indiana Harbor Belt 0-8-0.

Originally posted by toptrain - December 10 2011 :  12:39:34 PM

Hmm... this one looks familiar.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 24 2012 :  06:46:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
* Here s a kitbashing project to put on my List. A Cary, Penn-Line PRR N1 2-10-2.
This is all I have right now. Got to start looking for a trailing truck and cab to start with.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - April 22 2012 :  12:49:21 PM

Somewhere I have a trailing truck for that N-1.......I took one and is making it a 2-10-0, in Western Maryland, to be an I-2! So, if interested in the trailing truck, let me know as I have a bunch of them, (this is offered so that you can pick which ever one you like)

If interested of course PM me!

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, I'd LOVE to mold that sand dome pictured on this boiler!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!

Edited by - EM-1 on April 24 2012 06:47:23 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 30 2012 :  5:36:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Modeling RDG I class.
I2 Reading. 701-804. 1906-1910.
The other class with a single dome. cylinders Roger type. Smaller than a !6 class. Needs to be modeled with a small MDC 2-8-0 drive or MP drive.
I3-4-& 5 2 dome type.
I6 Baldwin 1101-1125, 1905-1907.
.single dome between stack and cab. cylinders type - Rogers. pilot freight stepped. lead truck spoked. 3 window cab. outside valve gear added around 1935, inside before. all photos had air tanks on top of firebox. Length unknown. Bachmann good choice with cylinder change.
I7 All rear cab, non wooten.
I8 a-c Baldwin, Reading. 1501-1617. 1905-1914.
two domes between stack and cab. 3 window cab. 1905 photo : cylinder type Rogers. shows no air tanks on firebox & mechanical valve gear, no generator, arc light co-coo clock. 1930 photo : Many kept original cylinders to 1940 and ?. Valve gear was added to all. Compressors, mixed, some had 1 and some and 2. Longer boiler from the Mantua needed here, but needs a shortening, not in their front if possible. Bachmann too short.
As with mantua numbering 1608 is a Reading number for a I8.
* The Mantua camelback is the starting point for this kitbash.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 30 2012 5:54:16 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - May 30 2012 :  10:19:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank,
What type parts might be left over for the Mantua "Goat" Camelback? I might be interested in some of it, as I think with some parts I may be able to help you with if you don't already have them!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 31 2012 :  08:08:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Kitbash !
* Bachmann Reading I 10, rear cab consolidation, backdated to a I 6, camelback.
* I need a complete elevation drawing for the I6. Without the drawing a new cab will be very hard to make.
* I6 info : What I know about it.
* I6 built by Baldwin. Numbered 1101-1125. Dates built 1905-1907.
* As built info. Single sand dome between stack and cab. Cylinders type - Rogers. Pilot, freight stepped. Lead truck spoked. 3 window cab. Outside valve gear added around 1935, inside mechanical lever operated before. All photos I have show air tanks on top of firebox. Length unknown.
* 1905 version : had oil head lights ( no electric ), No westinghouse breaks, so no air tanks on top of firebox. Steped pilot. Compressor, one single stage type. Cylinders with squared off box atop containing reversing valves. Piston crosshead double guide type.
* 1940 version : Air breaks with tanks atop firebox. Electric lighting. Some have 2 compressors of single stage type. On this class cylinders changed only when old one failed.
* Mine will be the up dated 1940 version.

toptrain

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 31 2012 08:31:11 AM
  Previous Topic: Weekendrailroader''s latest ''bash. Topic Next Topic: Rolling Stock Kitbashing Candidates; criteria?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000