Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Hi, I'm new and I bet you think I like Alco's...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Brittle Plastic Shells Topic Next Topic: DCC on a MU Truck  

OGhoul
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 21 2011 :  6:49:24 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add OGhoul to Buddylist
So, I blame my father and Going In Circlez for this. When I was little, my father got me into HO model railroading. I had a few diesels (some are depicted below), but I was always facinated by his huge, 6-wheeled diesels. His red, white & blue one was a favorite and me not being allowed to touch it only exasperated the situation, lol.

Well, now I'm 30 and have a little more than my 8-year-old's-allowance to work with and bought a little piece of my childhood.

The D&H and Super Spirit 630's in the case are going to be given to my father as a Christmas present. They have TCS T1 decoders and golden-white LEDs in them. The remaining engines are mine, and all feature stock guts.

From left to right:
Phase 3 D&H
Phase 3 D&H
Phase 4 Santa Fe
Phase 4 Illinois Central Gulf
Phase 3 Super Spirit of '76 (It's so pristine that it smells like grandpa's basement lol)
Phase 1 Santa Fe (Rivarosi-like drive)
brown-box, Mantua-ish drive Penn Central F9 (An original from when I was little.)
Life-Like Burlington Northern Century 628 (Another one from my childhood)

I'm also working on an early '80 era collection of Norfolk Southern (pics to come).
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 26  ~  Member Since: November 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: September 25 2012 Alert Moderator 

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 21 2011 :  6:56:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Good Stuff!

Some time this week I hope to get in to pick up my two new Bowser C-630m's at a local LTS. Full DCC and sound... don't know what possessed me!? But Hey they're Alco's!

You might want to consider joining the Alco Yahoo group?

and hey WELCOME!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

OGhoul
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 21 2011 :  7:00:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add OGhoul to Buddylist
Lol, thanks!

Here's the kicker... I'm an EMD guy; you'll see when I get my NS stuff up. I have a pair of Bowser's high-nosed N&W 630's, however they were only offered in the standard line (no DCC, grab irons, etc).

Your new ones have Tsunami decoders, right?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 26  ~  Member Since: November 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: September 25 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 21 2011 :  7:20:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
I believe it is Tsunami.

Never had a sound unit before.

I'm ok with older EMD stuff, but Alco's 1, Baldwin's 2, FM's 3, EMD's 3 also, GE's don't rate!

SW's are great, as are GP/SD-7/9's

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

OGhoul
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 21 2011 :  7:56:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add OGhoul to Buddylist
I like the older Geeps, especially the GP30s. I've taken a weird liking to rebuilt GP9s lately.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 26  ~  Member Since: November 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: September 25 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 21 2011 :  7:59:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
You could have a decent Hobby JUST concentrating on variations of GP9's.

or all the swap in 567's units with GP7/9 hoods over top!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

OGhoul
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 21 2011 :  8:03:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add OGhoul to Buddylist
This is true. I bet someone could even go into phases of rebuilds.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 21 2011 :  8:05:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Diesel Eea the magazine is in Part 17 I think of a GP7/9 series.....I think.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

OGhoul
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 21 2011 :  8:14:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add OGhoul to Buddylist
Good lord. And I thought I was bad just lurking on the photo websites.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 21 2011 :  8:16:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Actually was looking through the current and past two issues at my LTS.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - November 21 2011 :  10:10:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I'm fond of Alco C430s because it was my first Mantua Tyco from my tweenage years.
You have a handsome collection.
Atta-boy Dad!

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on November 22 2011 07:09:10 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 21 2011 :  10:14:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
*The Jealousy Monster jumps onto my head* SEE?? I'm that jealous of you
I do have a Santa Fe 630 tho & the locos you have is awesome!
Did the locos have handrails or did you do them yourself?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 21 2011 :  10:23:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Yeah you need to not feed the envy/jelousy monster Ben, it's a very unhealthy thing.

Frank was right a while back, easier for us to keep track of what you don't "want's" than do!

Dolly Freed an author in the 60's said "It's easier to do without some of the things money can buy, than it is to earn the money to get them.

Let's just say I don't you envy your jealousy.

I hope you enjoy what you have. As I just told AF in a PM I'm gonna keep consolidating and mofifying my collection till it's getting used and not stored. That's my goal. I should live so long! Oi Vey!

Among other things I'm going to join a club so I can run stuff, and oh yeah learn stuff!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 22 2011 :  12:42:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Nice collection there, Tim. I like the D&H units.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - November 22 2011 :  02:36:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Nice collection
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

OGhoul
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 22 2011 :  08:34:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add OGhoul to Buddylist
Thanks for the comments everyone. Lol, the last thing I wanted to do was wake up the jealousy monster.

I did the handrails myself; I used (I think) a 00 size bush and a little Testors Flat Yellow. Worked pretty well, though some needed a second coat.

The D&H's were my favorite as a kid. Well, any blue train for that matter. I always wanted a Rock Island GP38, since it was blue lol.

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 22 2011 :  09:44:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks for the comments everyone. Lol, the last thing I wanted to do was wake up the jealousy monster.

Dude! Welcome aboard! Nice lot you have there! No jealousy here as I just want it all! Despite whatever BS Gareth is pushing... he who dies with the most toys at the end wins is my motto! LOL!! Just kidding about your BS Gareth... It's not all BS.

quote:
I did the handrails myself; I used (I think) a 00 size bush and a little Testors Flat Yellow. Worked pretty well, though some needed a second coat.

Great job on the hand rails! I noticed them too!

quote:
The D&H's were my favorite as a kid. Well, any blue train for that matter. I always wanted a Rock Island GP38, since it was blue lol.

Bit partial to the black Red & white of the New haven Mc Ginnis paint scheme myself. Maybe because it is obnoxious, like me.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 22 2011 :  09:54:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Sean:

It's what comes from having St.Francis of Assisi as your hero, rather than J.P Moorgan!

Good luck with all the toys, sounds exhausting.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

OGhoul
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 22 2011 :  10:06:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add OGhoul to Buddylist
I'm a guitar player, so I'm no stranger to GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome).

My father had a New Haven C-Liner, and it's obnoxious paint scheme always stood out to me as well.

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 22 2011 :  10:11:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
Sean:

It's what comes from having St.Francis of Assisi as your hero, rather than J.P Moorgan!

Good luck with all the toys, sounds exhausting.

-Gareth

Gareth. Don't even know who JPM was or even St. Francis for that matter. (Don't care to know either either.) My grandfather was my hero.

He died with only a little more than the nothing he started with. But, everything he had, he worked hard for and did it honestly. There are no martyrs here and no one owes me anything either.

My HO train collection and 60's Mustang restorations are completely self supported by my trains. I have no boats, guns, frequent drinks with friends a bars or any of that. It does not cut into my family budget and I do my best to spend quality time with my kids and kiss and hug them frequently, each day. I even spent the last 2 years as soccer coach. It's all good!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!

Edited by - Mustangs_n_Trains on November 22 2011 10:26:55 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 22 2011 :  10:29:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:

OGhoul! Love the cup by the way!

Sean

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 22 2011 :  11:28:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Originally posted by OGhoul - November 22 2011 :  08:34:28 AM

ah I see you did a good job on them Did you buy the handrails or were they already on the locos? I could use a few handrails for my locos that are missing them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 22 2011 :  11:38:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Really, you don't know who SFoA and JPM are! Wow, different History syllabus clearly.

Yeah it does sound all good, and exhausting.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

OGhoul
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 22 2011 :  12:21:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add OGhoul to Buddylist
LOL! I thought I had cleared the table off for the photo shoot (after the DCC install). We got them at Target this past Halloween; last year it was orange tumblers with black spiderwebs.

All of my 630's came with hand rails aside from the Phase I Santa Fe. I had to buy a set for my dad's Super 76, which sadly was missing a front corner. I bent a new one out of copper wire.

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - November 22 2011 :  9:45:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Aww. Wheres the S1s and S4s And RS1s and RS2s and RS3s And you should get my point by now.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

OGhoul
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 22 2011 :  10:37:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add OGhoul to Buddylist
They're... Uh... In Alco Land?

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - November 22 2011 :  10:40:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Oghoul already has the forum humor goin!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 22 2011 :  11:51:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

Yeah it does sound all good, and exhausting.

Originally posted by romcat - November 22 2011 :  11:38:18 AM

Not nearly as exhausting as your 752 projects.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 22 2011 :  11:54:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Ya think!

I blame you and Mike!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
  Previous Topic: Brittle Plastic Shells Topic Next Topic: DCC on a MU Truck  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000