Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Lo-nosed C630
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Repairing and converting a Marklin to DC Topic Next Topic: Tyco BC Rail C430  

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 29 2011 :  5:27:09 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Here is the beginnings of my newest kitbash project. The long hood comes from a Tyco C630. The cab and low nose came from an IHC C430. The chassis is from a Model Power C628.

The original handrails have been removed since the photos were taken. You can see the wire grab irons I used to replace the originals as well. I have also added an amber warning light to the cab roof. Anyone got a simple way to light it up?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator 

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 29 2011 :  7:34:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
VERY COOL! You called the Alcophile out of Hybernation!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - October 29 2011 :  7:46:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I'm sure this will be neat and looks rail worthy already. Your grab irons are so nice and square, that's the hold-up with my 425 conversion is I don't like my grab iron placement and need to redo them. Just got parts today.
Good Luck, and good to see your posts.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 29 2011 :  11:50:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
The wire grabs were NOT made by me! I can not bend them nearly that straight. I use prefab grabs. I got a pack of Tichy Train Group 18" drop style HO grab irons< #3015. They come in packs of about 100 pieces. The web site is
www.tichytraingroup.com

These grabs are about as easy to use as they come. Just drill holes at the ends of each molded grab. Then remove the molded grabs and slide the wire ends in. Secure with super glue.

Edited by - Hypoponera on October 29 2011 11:52:42 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - October 31 2011 :  05:28:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
ok you guys are giving me bad ideas....and I like it!
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - October 31 2011 :  09:56:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Pal what are the "grabs" listed as, obviously not grabs cause they don't show up in a search. O_o

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 31 2011 :  10:43:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Try here:
http://www.tichytraingroup.com/index.php?page=view_product.php&id=243&category=Freight+Car+Parts

They are listed in the "details" section. I never looked on the web site. I just buy the packs off the shelf.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - October 31 2011 :  10:52:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Got it thanks...

There are too many varieties of some stuff!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 31 2011 :  11:22:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Never too many varieties!! "Variety is the spice of life".

Here are a couple shots of the loco ready to paint. The handrails have all been replaced. I used my standard Athearn stantions and bent brass wire. I also filled in the open pilots with sheet plastic, body mounted the couplers, and added MU hoses.

Though not very visible, I did add some tiny model ship building chain where the front and rear handrails are open for the drop steps. The masking tape covers the trucks and couplers. I am too lazy to remove them before painting

Here is a few veiws under the hood:

I have no idea who made the motor. It is quite good though. Got a great deal on ebay for it. It has a third lead that I think is for a ground of some type. The motor produces great torque!!

The sheet brass truck retainers were made by Ray. I ran out of the original plastic retainers and he made replacements for me. Thanks again Ray!

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 31 2011 :  11:31:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
I`m thinkin that this will turn out Great!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 31 2011 :  11:41:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
I'm hoping so.

I replaced the original Model Power worms with Kato worms to help reduce the top speed. But they make a lot of noise. Must need some more work to get them to fit better. And I need to add a whole lot more weight to improve the pulling power. I want this monster to be smooth, quiet, and powerful.

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - October 31 2011 :  5:10:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Can't wait to see it finished. I meant I had drilled my grab iron holes and they weren't as square a yours. I should have done what you stated and drilled first then removed the cast grabs.
Awesome.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 31 2011 :  5:29:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Not to worry Alco Fan! Those grabs only look straight in that photo. Mine are far from perfectly positioned as well. I try to keep them staight, but often times end up with some that are less then square. I am sticking to the "3 foot rule" on this project

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - October 31 2011 :  7:46:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey guys, somewhere earlier today I saw a template for lining them up.

I would think to get them trult straight would require a jig.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - January 10 2013 :  11:54:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Finally... It... Is... Alive!

OK, so not really alive. But I did finally get this monster finished. Here is the proof!

Now to taker her out for a spin!

Edited by - Hypoponera on January 10 2013 11:57:01 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 11 2013 :  01:07:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real cool Never heard of the railroad tho Does the light on top blink?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - January 11 2013 :  01:25:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
That's amazing work, and definitely worth resurrecting this dusty old thread.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - January 11 2013 :  01:48:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
INDEED! I wonder what worm gears from what Kato was used.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 11 2013 :  02:01:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Nice work!
I gotta have (make) one.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - January 11 2013 :  08:12:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
That is one good looking loco, nice work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - January 11 2013 :  09:05:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Thanks!

Sorry Bus, but the top light does not blink. It is designed to house a grain-of-rice bulb. But I never found a way to light it and have it blink. The NMN exists only on my layout. I made it up and and paint all my kitbashes in it.

Justin, the Kato worms are generic. Like other builders, Kato uses the same worm on all it's engines. I just bought a bunch of the worms on ebay a couple years ago. There was a link on this forum about using Kato worms on Mehano locos. The worms drop the speed considerably even without changing the motor.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 11 2013 :  3:39:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
nvm a rice bulb Use a blinky LED instead
Gonna make a caboose for it?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 11 2013 :  4:06:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Nice work! I'd been wondering where you'd been.... glad to see the NMN is still rolling along
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - January 11 2013 :  4:53:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Hey Tony! Yes, the NMN is still hauling here in the desert. I lost my father in Jan 2012, and have had no interest in modeling until now. I had originally meant to have this loco done a year ago.

Now that the C630 is done I am eager to start the next project! I have an AHM GP18 to convert and thinking of a hi-nosed Tyco GP20.

caboose 1
Big Six

L&N Hummingbird

Posted - January 11 2013 :  4:58:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add caboose 1 to Buddylist
Very nice!
caboose 1
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 352  ~  Member Since: November 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 11 2013 :  6:07:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Great job on the finishing. It's really nicely done. - Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 11 2013 :  6:36:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Mike,
I'm glad you found time to finish this one. A nice project and you had to do way more designing and engineering and parts chasing than I usually do. All well done. Handsome paint and decal work.
Glad to have you back!

Alco Fan

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - January 12 2013 :  10:18:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Thanks guys! This loco was certainly an improvement on my first C630 project. That one is here:
http://tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=620

I did a better job fitting the pieces together on the lo nosed version. I also went with a darker shade of gray. More SP-like.

She did very well on the shakedown run. The only problem was some gear chatter from the AHM trucks. I think my next attempt will use the IHC trucks as they tend to run a little quieter and are all wheel drive to boot.

Caboose? Hmmm......

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 12 2013 :  10:59:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
paint caboose all red but the cupola Paint it in black or vice versa
put on Safety First

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 12 2013 :  11:04:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Great job Pal!!!

Can't wait to see the Hobbytown RSD-4/5 done. It will be a challenge but I bet you're up for it.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - January 12 2013 :  3:45:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
Very nice!
Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - January 13 2013 :  10:42:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
That Hobbytown RSD looks to be a challenge. So I am going to finish off a GP18 and a GP20 first. Then I can concentrate on the RSD. I have a motor picked out for it already.

The caboose idea is good, but will probably be painted in some form of the coperate red/gray. Not sure, but I suspect I will use bay-window cabooses. But those would be done well down the road.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 13 2013 :  4:14:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
The RSD is supposed to be a Challenge! Thats why I wanted you to have it.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - May 12 2021 :  11:44:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Mike I just realized I own this loco and it is amazing. I’ m so bewildered that I had read this before but didn’t recognize the cab number.
Thank you so much!!!

Alco Fan
  Previous Topic: Repairing and converting a Marklin to DC Topic Next Topic: Tyco BC Rail C430  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000