Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 HUSTLER
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW 26TH-2ND JULY Topic Next Topic: LotW Sept 4-9  

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - September 09 2011 :  11:44:47 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
I have 2 Hustlers one is a Athearn I'm not sure about the other.
I also just got a General Electric Switcher not sure what make but it says made in Yugoslavia.
Any help would be great.
Thanks.
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 10 2011 :  07:07:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
ken the general electric maker was mehano,sure it was imported by a few companies,ahm being one, ken
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalelocomotives/id28.html

Edited by - catfordken on September 10 2011 10:07:31 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 10 2011 :  09:40:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
The one without the name Athearn is a Athearn. Later production from the 70's in the bluebox line of kits. The GE is an Ahm.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - September 10 2011 :  10:04:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
I See These At Shows All The Time.
Are They Worth Something?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 10 2011 :  10:21:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi CNVIATyco,not sure if valuable,but highly collectable by a lot of people,so its down to how many are bidding for it as the prices vary so much,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - September 10 2011 :  11:55:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by CNVIATyco - September 10 2011 :  10:04:32 AM

It's in the eye of the beholder...the one purchased today in mint condition for $26 on eBay, will just as easily be found in a $5 yard sale box lot with a bunch of other stuff next week...

Edited by - shaygetz on September 10 2011 11:56:43 AM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 10 2011 :  3:31:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by CNVIATyco - September 10 2011 :  10:04:32 AM

Since every one I've seen on ebay has sold, yes they're worth something. Much? depends. The AEC ( Atomic Energy Corp. ) Hustler is VERY sought-after, cheapest I've seen sold is $56. Sometimes in 3 figures. Most others are so-so, you can get some for $5 they're so common (Santa Fe / ATSF, etc ). While not really prototypical, they are fun to use and operate, and apparently a lot of people think so. Marx units usually sell 15-20 on Ebay, Tyco 5 on up, AHM and Athearn in the 10 and up range, too. Lionel HO Hustler is one of the most sought, it has gear drive, and usually 20 minimum they go for (Marx is gear drive, also ). The little Centercab GE's run a bit more than the end-cab Hustler units, usually 10-15 on up.
So, it basically depends on the unit and maker. I THINK the AEC is a LIonel Hustler. Those are the most sought, then the Marx, then AHM/Athearn, Tyco usually last. But they all usually sell.

Jerry
Has many Hustlers of many makes.

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - September 10 2011 :  6:50:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
Was there any reason they never put a road name on these??
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 10 2011 :  7:09:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
The early ones had no roadnames. they were first solely like that since Athearn made trains for Lionel. Afterwards, they didn't make 'em fer Lionel. Then in 70's they added roadnames.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 10 2011 :  8:48:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
another Hustler that is uberly sought after is the NBC/RCA one with the track
Here is one that doesn't run But it was $1 Picked it up at a train show in Feb this year

Edited by - microbusss on September 10 2011 8:49:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - September 11 2011 :  08:07:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
another Hustler that is uberly sought after is the NBC/RCA one with the track

That one you refer to was given too the NBC executives by Lionel and was not the Husler, but rather the Husky, which with a few small differences, looked exactly the same.

It was white and the NBC logo was actually a paper decal glued to the side of the engine. There were only a few made for the top executives. The last one I saw sold for over $10,000 I think.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - September 11 2011 :  08:55:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Since switchers are the LotW Sept 11-18 I thought I'd post another staple of switchers loccos an Athearn SW1200. This one I custom painted years ago, maybe 20, and never cleared so the decals had come off. Yesterday I added some new decals where needed and cleared the paint.
I remember seeing these locos as they crossed the street as I walked to elementary and Jr High school although they were in PRR brunswick green.
BTW: I have four Hustlers, two yellow, one red and one silver. Alot of my friends had Hustlers when I was younger also.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on September 11 2011 09:00:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - September 11 2011 :  11:26:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist

These two are the most rare Athearn Hustlers - the Allied Chemical was produced as a promotional piece in 4 paint scheme variations. The Lionel Rio Grande is one of the most sought after Lionel HO pieces made by Athearn. Only made for one year. These two will easily run 200 plus dollars.
Larry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 251  ~  Member Since: May 04 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 12 2011 :  7:25:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Since everyone likes to be "hustled" here, thought I'd post more of mine. here's some really different ones, including an all-metal one from the '50's.

Here you can see many different makers of similar Hustler / shunter diesels. I think the best running one in the bunch are the green BN Tyco, and the Playart ( AHM ) yellow and black Santa Fe. The rest need some work.

Below is a pic of some of them opened up, to see the different drive mechs.

From worm gears to mesh gears to rubber bands, all types of different drives here. Hope you enjoyed the show!

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - September 12 2011 :  7:38:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
The little PL guy is a Whitcomb, and I'm surprised you don't have a Lindsay Stubby in that collection?

Might also want to consider a Triang "Dock Diesel"?

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Edited by - romcat on September 12 2011 7:39:44 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 12 2011 :  10:02:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
The little PL guy is a Whitcomb, and I'm surprised you don't have a Lindsay Stubby in that collection?

Might also want to consider a Triang "Dock Diesel"?

-Gareth
Originally posted by romcat - September 12 2011 :  7:38:11 PM

I'll have to look through the archives to see what a Stubby looks like. Can't say I've run across one yet. Nor a Tri ang dock diesel. That's the neat thing about collecting certain types, you never know if you know all of them or not.

Jerry

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - September 12 2011 :  10:35:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Jerry:

If you like the PL Whitcomb you'll love the "Stubby" Do you know the Lionel Navy Switcher" Think that without the outboard wheels, oh yeah, Siderods!

The Triang is cute to. I have a shell thats going on a Mantua Centre Cab chassis....

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 13 2011 :  07:30:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi jerry below link to the triang not hard to get,but the stubby is another question,do not see them often,and sell well when they pop up ken
http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/docks.html

Edited by - catfordken on September 13 2011 07:30:53 AM

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - September 13 2011 :  09:01:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
The Very Guy, Ken.

My shell is damaged some so I'm going to take liberties with it.

Ken, Are you aware of a prototype for this?

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 13 2011 :  09:10:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi gareth to my mind its fictitious,american bogies make me think that,as all diesels used here have rods on wheels ken

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - September 13 2011 :  09:37:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey (Brittanic) Ken:

Did you get my last two pm's?

Varney Southern and that Fictious Liveries Shunter?

Cheers,
Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 13 2011 :  10:15:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi Gareth sorry i did not reply yes i got them thanks ken

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - September 13 2011 :  10:20:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
The NBC/AEC Lionel Husky Sean referred to, made by Athearnr:

If memory serves this sold for approximatel $10,000.00 (No typo)

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - September 13 2011 :  10:24:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
And a Lindsay "Stubby"

Mine is incomplete, lacking the ends (footboards) but here are some nice shots!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 13 2011 :  10:37:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
nice one gareth,a rare beast ken

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - September 13 2011 :  10:51:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
I have to find the end pieces to complete mine... :(

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 13 2011 :  2:35:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
hi jerry below link to the triang not hard to get,ken
http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/docks.html

Originally posted by catfordken - September 13 2011 :  07:30:29 AM

Ahhh HAAA! So THAT'S where the Lesney Matchbox Shunter got it's shape from! Even has the same #5 on it. So I DO have one, unpowered. I'll have to check on finding one (electrically powered ) some day - Ken ,are these HO or OO gauge? And what search terms do you use to find them?

Jerry

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 13 2011 :  3:35:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi jerry on uk site its triang dock,that will pull up a few,regards scale i believe its oo,but triang were not very good at accuracy ken

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 13 2011 :  7:04:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
hi jerry on uk site its triang dock,that will pull up a few,regards scale i believe its oo,but triang were not very good at accuracy ken

Originally posted by catfordken - September 13 2011 :  3:35:31 PM

Yup, found a few, wow, prices range from 173 lbs to 1.50 lbs. Sky high to way low. Interesting spread, why so high on some? These were all red, btw.

Jerry

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 14 2011 :  07:24:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi jerry,a few dealers over here tag items as rare,gostude,being one,check his items and what actually sells,mint in mint boxes are always top dollar,unboxed average condition,should pick up one from zero £s to £20 easy,i check new listings daily,looking out for buy it nows,where seller just wants rid of,got some good bargains,others to look out for are incorrect listings,where sellers have listed in wrong section etc ken
  Previous Topic: LOTW 26TH-2ND JULY Topic Next Topic: LotW Sept 4-9  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000