Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 another job lot
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A littlle Visual Treat Topic Next Topic: tenshodo drive  

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 20 2011 :  10:35:17 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i meant to put these under bachmann got these 3 today,only one did not work before i tinkered with it,all running now
spectrum 4-8-2 new haven,fire glow

spectrum 2-8-0 connie boston and maine

spectrum 2-10-0 Russian decapod erie

Edited by - catfordken on August 20 2011 10:36:19 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator 

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 20 2011 :  10:39:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Ken:

Ruskie Dec is nice!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 20 2011 :  10:46:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
does look good,did not run,found 2 problems,one pair of tender wheels wrong way round,and a loose wire ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 20 2011 :  11:37:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken : Very good trio of steamers. I like the Decapods the best. Before they came out only released in brass. The Erie loved those engines, not only kept them but acquired more. The CNJ used them little in the Pennsy back woods. There is said to be a photo of a pair of CNJ locos in front of Mauch Chunk ( Jim Thorpe ) station. The CNJ 's locos in appearance were little changed from the ones delivered to the Russians. They still had the locomotive walkway railings in place, Oil headlight, All weather winter cab, with sliding roof section and door. Very different from standard US steamers. There is a article on the Reading ones written by a fellow named Davis in the MR. That is who gave me the info on the photo at Mauch Chunk.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on August 20 2011 11:38:41 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 20 2011 :  12:28:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
interesting piece frank,thanks ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 20 2011 :  12:51:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Frank:

What part of PA did they op these in?

Also, when did CNJ replace the Oil lamps on their Dec's?

Thaks for the history btw, always good to know!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 20 2011 :  2:11:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist

Ken, Gareth : CNJ engineers didn't like them. Biggest problem was throttle arm motion to speed up was backwards from normal. Maybe you had to pull instead of push. I would guess the fireman loved them, if you burned anthracite coal. A lot less shoveling needed to be done. The CNJ had 19 of these locomotives. The only reference to their use is a photo taken at station at Mauch Chunk. It is in archives at Steamtown. Someone said that a few of the issued numbers were being run on the L&S. They received them with oil lamps. The CNJ refused to upgrade anything about these locomotives. I can find no info as to how they were returned in 1920.
* I kit bashed 2. I found it easier ( I was lazy) to reinstall the Bachmann electric lighting system, so mine have electric lighting.
frank
** some photos of mine.

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 20 2011 :  2:41:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
here you are frank

2-10-0 were fairly common freight locomotives in the former Soviet Union. They came from several sources: US imports (class Ye (Russian: Ńерия Đ•), built by ALCO and Baldwin, respectively), German war trophy BR52 class locomotives (what became the Soviet TE-series) and locally built. The locally built 2-10-0 locomotives were represented by some TE (built from captured German parts), SO (Sergo Ordjonikidze) and L (Lebedyanski)-series locomotives. The L-series locomotives were one of the more advanced steam locomotives built in the former Soviet Union. They used an automatic stoker to feed coal and had a relatively low axle load (18 tonnes or 40,000 lb) to be compatible with the war-torn railroads of the former Soviet Union. Several examples of these locomotives are still preserved in working order.

Edited by - catfordken on August 20 2011 2:44:31 PM

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 20 2011 :  3:30:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Handsome Loco's Frank.

That rear cab roof "extension"? is interesting....

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 20 2011 :  4:00:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
delete
Edited by - catfordken on August 20 2011 4:04:19 PM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 20 2011 :  4:03:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi gareth check my photo,its a true russian that frank did, good one there frank,you are right not much info on cnj ones ken
Edited by - catfordken on August 20 2011 4:21:16 PM

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 20 2011 :  4:14:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Ken:

Check it for what???

I wonder if I can find one of these earlier models in brass. I ave no interest in plastic at this point...

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 20 2011 :  5:28:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Well It looks like to me the extra cab on the tender was for them harsh Russian winters
Lets not forget Russia has a Broad Gauge track too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 20 2011 :  6:05:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
just for you gareth

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 20 2011 :  6:54:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey ken:

While pretty that's no Ruskie Dec. Notice the firebox how wide it is? Thats cause the Reading was an Athracite Road. Frank can tell you lots about that. So was the LV, the PRR, D&H, maybe the CNJ ueah pretty sue the CNJ....

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 20 2011 :  7:37:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi gareth i know they are called russian decapods,but where were they made,western maryland had russians with similar sized fireboxes,the photo is of a slsf one,my brass photos caught my eye more for the cab than the size of the firebox ken
/tyco/forum/uploaded/catfordken/20110820193654_epmc_1625_04.jpg

this is where i got my info
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/decapod/?page=pr

Edited by - catfordken on August 20 2011 7:45:02 PM

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 20 2011 :  9:51:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Yeah see what you mean-Cab roof extension. Honestly the Athracite firebox was what grabbed my attention!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 20 2011 :  10:01:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is the real Baldwin built Russian decapod.

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 21 2011 :  07:50:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
frank i know what you say about the cnj russians,but over 200 were diverted to other us railroads,your picture shows one of the baldwins but alco also produced them,and as i said some were modified to suit the railroads who purchased,the western maryland being just one,ken

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 21 2011 :  08:05:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Who can ever explain why we like particular Locomotive design, huh?

Always liked the Russsian Decs. Never saw one with an oil lamp before.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 21 2011 :  09:29:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken This is what I have on the Alco Russian decapod. The line at the top of the Baldwin is straight. The Alco, from the steam dome back across the firebox top, slants down toward the cab. this is the most notable difference in the two locomotives. The CNJ was leased 4 of them. Numbers 1090 to 1093. If you notice it is locomotive 1090. That is one of those sent to the CNJ. It also may be 1980.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on August 21 2011 09:50:36 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 21 2011 :  3:03:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Isn't it funny how these locos were not delivered to Russia just like the same happened to GN's Little Joe electric locos?
Do we OWE Russia locos? That a thought that has crossed my mind after I read up on the Little Joe's
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 21 2011 :  7:07:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hey Buss ! ;
The reason they weren't shipped was the Russian revolution. the communist takeover of the government. Lenen wasn't going to pay any bills the czar made.

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 21 2011 :  7:32:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi frank baldwin built quite a few in 1944 till the cold war kicked off ken
this one was built in 1944 by baldwin
/tyco/forum/uploaded/catfordken/20110821193215_decapod-2.jpg
this might help you ben
russian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_locomotive_class_Ye
polish
http://www.locomotives.com.pl/Freight%20Steam%20Locomotives/Ty246.htm

Edited by - catfordken on August 21 2011 7:43:16 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 21 2011 :  7:42:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken ; Stallin was recieving them right thro WW2. lend lease.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 21 2011 :  7:53:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
makes you wonder if it was the worlds longest run for a locomotive with what looks like very little change ken
finnish alco russian decapod

Edited by - catfordken on August 21 2011 7:57:39 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 22 2011 :  10:31:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken ; I cant read Russian, but that smoke box door sure looks like a American style one.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 22 2011 :  10:36:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
the plaque on side of all locos pictured is same as this ken
  Previous Topic: A littlle Visual Treat Topic Next Topic: tenshodo drive  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000