Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My layout toptrain
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tycomania VII Layout: El and Trolleys Topic Next Topic: Bamburgh Rebuild
Page: of 11

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 10 2009 :  10:37:42 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 1

**My large basement layout has been history for almost two years. I moved up to the attic with my layout. first with a 16' X 2' switching layout. I cut a 4X8X3/8" down the middle long ways. I have 3 small shelf units and a small 3 draw something or other that I used to support it. I layed the 2 2x8s atop some 1x6" boards to hold it together. It was kind of a test to see how it would be. It wasn't! It operated Ok but I missed the contineous running. That was the history of the attic till now.
**I have completely done away with the old except for the 1X6s. Building all new tables to support this new layout. I actually kept the idea of the 2x8s and added to it. I'll will have two parrallel main lines. I will put some small spurs off into the corrners.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:25:42 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 10 2009 :  10:59:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 2

10-2 09
Here is where i was on this day. Four of the tables were built and in place. I still have 1 more to build. The old 2X8s were layed ontop of their new tables. I'll be going with a open center area 2 1/2 ' wide and 7' long. Their will be a lift out section to allow entrance to the center area. At this point I striped off all the track from the old 2X8s and put them in the basement.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 09 2010 11:56:11 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - October 10 2009 :  2:57:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
Thats gonna be nice !!!

Great job Frank !!!

BT
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 10 2009 :  7:14:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 4

10-04-09
** Here on this date I had all the tables framed and put together.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:27:24 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 11 2009 :  10:36:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 5

10 11 09
Today Track work for main lines is done. No wireing has been done yet. here is a view with the removial section in place

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:30:04 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - October 11 2009 :  3:53:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Really nice carpentry work Toptrain!
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - October 12 2009 :  2:45:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
I always liked your switching layout from before, mainly because I remember a photo you took of a bunch of 2-6-6-2's all parked together. A few weeks after I saw that photo I bought one of my own haha. But I could see where it would get a little boring. Hopefully whenever I do to my layout I do something similar to yours, double track main for continuous running, some sidings, and hopefully keep the curves to a minimum of 22". Yours looks great so far, keep us updated!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 13 2009 :  11:14:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 8

**Chris; You do see what i have plained. a feeder track into a yard. A engine serviceing area. A town with some sidings. it is only 6 1/2 feet wide. In my attic I have the 16 feet in distance left to right, but not much for layout with. It should all work out.
** I am having problums with the location and ,size of my control area. The switches, I think, will be built into a warehouse opposite the lionel station. The power supplies and speed controls in a draw underneath. I'll make a slide out platform, draw like that which comes with a computer desk for the keyboard.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 09 2010 11:57:01 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 18 2009 :  1:21:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 9

layout today

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:28:59 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 18 2009 :  1:28:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I found this plan on 1chan in the rail section

yes this is the 027 but still want the Classic Toy Train mag it came in so I can do it in HO someday But your doing a great job on yours too

Edited by - microbusss on October 18 2009 1:29:00 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - October 18 2009 :  1:34:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
quote:
I found this plan on 1chan in the rail section

yes this is the 027 but still want the Classic Toy Train mag it came in so I can do it in HO someday But your doing a great job on yours too

Originally posted by microbusss-October 18 2009: 1:28:23 PM

That looks like it would be a nightmare to keep from short cicruiting.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 18 2009 :  1:47:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 12

the only poblum is the reverse loop. And that is kind of a regular problum.
frank

PS. See you next saturday at the show in East Rutherford NJ.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:30:55 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 19 2009 :  11:31:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah so I'll modify it a little here & there
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 21 2009 :  4:54:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 14

** "Opening Day of the new two Main Lines."

Today was a good day. The first train runs of the two mainlines were today. Due to a large demand to ride the new line on opening day. Little HO people came from everywhere to attend this inaugural event. Multiple passenger trains had to be brought out for this very special days runs. The Pennsy, Lehigh valley, CNJ, Anna, Reading, and B&O all supplied trains. Even tho their were few places for the people attending to rest, a good time had by all.
frank

PS. See you this saturday at the show in East Rutherford NJ.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 09 2010 11:58:15 AM

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - October 21 2009 :  7:01:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
quote:
** "Opening Day of the new two Main Lines."

Today was a good day. The first train runs of the two mainlines were today. Due to a large demand to ride the new line on opening day. Little HO people came from everywhere to attend this inaugural event. Multiple passenger trains had to be brought out for this very special days runs. The Pennsy, Lehigh valley, CNJ, Anna, Reading, and B&O all supplied trains. Even tho their were few places for the people attending to rest, a good time had by all.
frank

PS. See you this saturday at the show in East Rutherford NJ.

Originally posted by toptrain-October 21 2009: 4:54:34 PM

The CEO must have pulled a few strings to borrow equipment from all those different lines. I guess your layout is home to some real progress, Frank!

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 22 2009 :  09:27:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 16

Matt, I do real feal sorry about how those little people are haveing to get around the drill and screws and pieces of wire and other stuff to get to the trains. They love the trains as much as I do.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:32:43 PM

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - October 22 2009 :  09:34:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
You do a golden spike picture of the last spike being driven with two (well 4 in your case) engines meeting and all that good stuff?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 22 2009 :  3:51:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Good idea Chris.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 25 2009 :  6:05:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 19

**** Here we go the roundhouse,turntable.
* As I had said I would have to install my yard entrance track. This is now done. the road bed is there. Next measure a viable space between the tracks. It is 66". Mark the centre. The centre of the turntable will be 9" from the edge of the board. Next I make another circle at a 15" radius. Now I extend the turntable centre line across the entire 66" clear space. The roundhouse segments are 10 degrees apart. 8 stalls times 10 is 80 degrees. I make a mark at 80 degrees. I make a line from the turntable centre thro my 80 deg mark to the roadbed. I placed my 8 stall round house in its location aliening the centre line as a track centre for stall #1 going cc wise. Using the 15" radius circle as a curve outline to match up my roundhouse front, sliding the round house back away from centre till the 0 deg centre line and the 80 deg. line match up with the door centres for section #1 and #8. Also keeping the space between the 15' circle line and the roundhouse even my alignment is done for doors 1 and 8. I marked the centres of the other 6 door sections. Then I removed the roundhouse placing it aside. I drew the remaining 6 lines for the track centrelines thro the other 6 sections. Placing the roundhouse back in its spot I checked all alignment marks front and rear of the round house. I now have the roundhouse properly aliened and all track centres located. I just have to mark the location of the complete rear wall. Note it thickness. then mark my centrelines to show the length of the tracks into the roundhouse. this completes the marking for the 8 stall round house. I choose a location for the 3 section roundhouse and do it all again using the marks already there.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:33:29 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 30 2009 :  08:32:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
If neatness counts. I fail the test. It actualy got dirter then this.
frank
PS still ploding on.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 25 2010 10:14:01 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 30 2009 :  5:48:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 21

Now this layout has main line trackage and a yard that has ballasted trackage. My yard is consideed a high speed bypass trackage. Everywhere else the track will be directly on the ground. Round house area and service ares. I am building two ramps for now to allow all non revenue cars and railroad deliveries on railroad maintance areas.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:34:11 PM

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 31 2009 :  10:56:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Very cool Frank! Any chance you can post or send me a copy of the track plan?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dorptrains
Big Six

BN loco 1

Posted - October 31 2009 :  1:41:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dorptrains to Buddylist
Nice job Frank, and if you think that's dirty, you should have seen my layout! You couldn't even see the track lol.
-Jacob

Quote: "I didn't fail, I just found 1200 materials that won't work"

-Thomas Edison
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 232  ~  Member Since: March 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 31 2009 :  6:00:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 24

quote:
Very cool Frank! Any chance you can post or send me a copy of the track plan?

Originally posted by Hypoponera-October 31 2009: 10:56:19 AM

Hey Hipo, I have not made one. This is being built from ideas that I had when I started.
1. Two mainlines circulating the table space.
2. A yard area along the back wall.
3. The yard must be large enough for long trains.
4. Only #6 switches to be used on all main lines and in main yard.
5. This main yard is to have wide rarius turns.
6. A lift out access section.
7. All track in the engine area to be directly on board surface to give the look of a real yard.

That are the main rules of my layout.
Nothin fancy. Just like the railroads did in the begining. Start from a clean slate. Build only what you need. Waste no space. Make sure of good access.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 09 2010 11:59:04 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 31 2009 :  6:07:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 25

quote:
Nice job Frank, and if you think that's dirty, you should have seen my layout! You couldn't even see the track lol.

Originally posted by Dorptrains-October 31 2009: 1:41:16 PM

Jacob, the mess has subsided. I finished installing the round house storage tracks. If my ramps are good the turntable entrance tracks will be done.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:35:02 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 02 2009 :  4:05:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
today. A play day. I brought out my Kibri Bonn station to see if it fits. Maybe I have something. I can find my other matching platform and the long Passenger trains will fit in the station.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 02 2009 4:05:46 PM

Dorptrains
Big Six

BN loco 1

Posted - November 02 2009 :  5:13:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dorptrains to Buddylist
Lookin' good, like the turntable so far.
-Jacob

Quote: "I didn't fail, I just found 1200 materials that won't work"

-Thomas Edison
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 232  ~  Member Since: March 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - November 03 2009 :  1:34:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Loving the size of the turn table Frank! You adding more spaces or sticking with the 21 you have? The passenger area is going to look good too. Should be plenty of room to pull in a nice long consist of cars.

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 03 2009 :  8:21:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Nice going, Frank. I'm sure you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of this than you did from the switching layout.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 04 2009 :  10:53:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 30

quote:
Loving the size of the turn table Frank! You adding more spaces or sticking with the 21 you have? The passenger area is going to look good too. Should be plenty of room to pull in a nice long consist of cars.

Originally posted by ChrisC-November 03 2009: 1:34:46 PM

With the 21 spaces. The number, 10, that are open will remain so. I may relocate the 3 section round house to a different spot around the turntable. It all has to do with taking photos. The open tracks allow for better photos. Once I paint and detail the ground around the turntable no other changes will be made. It will probably stay the way it is.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:36:12 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 04 2009 :  10:54:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Nice going, Frank. I'm sure you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of this than you did from the switching layout.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-November 03 2009: 8:21:04 PM

I am certain of that to Nelson.

toptrain

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - November 05 2009 :  11:37:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
I'm definitely jealous - this layout looks really fun! LOVE the roundhouse layout.

That station is wonderful, too!

Rus

Starting my Tyco and other favorites collection over again after 37 years.
My still in progress list of inventory and wantlist: tyconut.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 06 2009 :  4:57:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 33

Look what happens when you just turn around. Those little people have a building boom and put up buildings everywhere.
frank
They are on the roundhouse roofs.

They are on the turntable.

They are on the tracks, and down the center of Main Street.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:36:56 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 08 2009 :  8:32:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 34

A view of main street and how it may be.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:37:56 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 08 2009 :  8:39:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
looking good man! Add a couple of Fast Food places too

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 09 2009 :  3:48:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Geez that's a cool picture Frank! The side-by-side buildings really capture that "busy main street" look quite well.

- Matt -

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 09 2009 :  5:51:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Daaannnng your mainstreet looks good! The buildings all match up so well...my small collection of buildings on the other hand... I can't wait to see it when it's done.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 10 2009 :  08:28:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 38

quote:
looking good man! Add a couple of Fast Food places too

Originally posted by microbusss-November 08 2009: 8:39:55 PM

In this time period with steam being king, fast food joints were few and only on highways. Not on main streets. My layout is spared the blight that they created. There are benefits to modeling in the steam era.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 17 2009 4:38:34 PM

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - November 17 2009 :  11:25:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
You could always add a diner or restaurants. Those look good and go with the era.

Rus

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 396  ~  Member Since: November 02 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 21 2009 :  10:16:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 40

Here is my Bachmann coal tower after a little work. Some kitbashing of three kits. It took three days.
frank
first is the front side with locos being loaded.

second is the rear at a angle showing the main entrance stairway and the stairway up to the top of the coal raising device.

Third is the rear of the towers.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 14 2010 7:13:18 PM

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - November 21 2009 :  10:51:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Great job Toptrain...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - November 22 2009 :  10:11:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by toptrain-November 21 2009: 10:16:27 PM

That thing is amazing!

I suppose you'll need a coal tower that large, since you have so many Marx, Lionel and other steamers.

- Matt -

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - November 22 2009 :  11:28:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
WOW! I'm very impressed and jealous. That is just awesome! Keep posting pics.

Rus

Tyco Nut
Big Six

Posted - November 22 2009 :  2:06:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tyco Nut to Buddylist
What kits did you use to make the coal tower?

Rus

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 22 2009 :  3:45:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 45

I used three Bachmann coal towers. One was a unbuilt new kit. One was a kit that was taken apart with a few damaged parts. The last was a built up kit missing all stairways. Here is what the loco service area is looking like. I have no sand or ash equipment yet, and the track for the coal cars to load this twin hopper is not in yet.
frank

Here is another photo of the front side with it's controling lights.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 26 2009 11:38:54 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 22 2009 :  4:03:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
In that service area photo, two Tyco Mikados and three Marx Hudsons are being serviced.
frank

toptrain

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 22 2009 :  4:49:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Frank. That coal tower looks great!

Going back a few posts, what did you use to make those "ramps" for the track?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 22 2009 :  7:10:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 48

quote:
Hey Frank. That coal tower looks great!

Going back a few posts, what did you use to make those "ramps" for the track?

Originally posted by DaCheez-November 22 2009: 4:49:54 PM

I used ready mix wood putty appiled with a putty knife. It was done by eye and sanded. It took about 4 applications to get it right.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 26 2009 11:39:37 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 22 2009 :  7:15:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 49

A inspection tour of the twin coal Towers
In the photo of the rear of the coal towers you can see to the lower right the access stairway from ground level. Take this up to the first platform. Go the door on the left. Enter. This is the furthest out tower ladder access shaft to the top of the tower. The furthest out name is from the fact that coal is delivered first to the nearest tower to the coal raising device, then to the tower furthest from the coal raising device. So we have a near and far tower. Take the ladder up to the first platform with doors. There is a door to the left and one to the right. A ladder continues up from here. We take the door on the left. It goes outside the tower. a stairway goes down to a small platform and a second stairway goes further down to a platform bringing us around the side of the tower to the front platform. It is a short one and goes only to the coal shoot for the far tower. You can inspect the coal release door here. Its cable goes down lower to where a man on top of the tender can reach it to pull and release the coal to the shoot and down to the tender coal bin. Everything look OK here! Now to your right is a ladder up to a higher platform. Climb up to this platform. We see a ladder going up and one going down. We also see the cable and counter weight system for raising and lowering the coal shoots. The nearest is for this tower and the farthest for the other .Inspecting each proves them to be in good order. This platform crosses over to the opposite tower. Climbing down brings me to a small platform where the coal release door can be inspected. Finding this OK, we return to the upper platform. Now we go to the ladder going down. This ladder go to the platform between the coal shoots. This platform is only used for working on the coal shoots. Going over to the ladder going up, we take it up. Here we see the roofs over the two towers. On this end is the enclosure for the main conveyor belt that brings coal to the far tower. Now knowing the layout of these tower ladders, and platforms I know to climb up to the roof and pass under the conveyer enclosure walking to the far end and step down to the platform. Here I am between the two towers. A door to my left and one to my right. I go to the right and thro the door. here I am back on that platform with the door opposite me now that I took down to the front outside platform and the coal shoots. We are done there. Now I take the ladder up. At the top is the delivery end of this towers small conveyer belt. I see and inspect the end roller it pillow block bearings and belt tracking adjustments. I check the belt to see that it is tracking properly, centered on it rollers. Looking down I see the tower slide, and the coal that is in this tower. Back down to the platform and out the door onto the platform between the towers I cross over to the opposite door, enter and see the ladder up to this the near towers conveyer belt and slide. I go up and do my inspection. Back down to the platform, out the door, cross over to the far tower and down the ladder to and thro the tower entrance door to the platform outside. walking away from the door to the stairs going up, I take them up to a door at the top of the coal raising enclosure. looking to my left down the main conveyer, I see that the deflector is in place to load the near towers bin. Operating the local control for the deflector I watching it withdraw and extend. I use the local control for the coal raising equipment and watch it all operate. Coal comes up from below on to the main belt and heads for the deflector.I have put some coal on the main conveyer. belt.. Because the deflector is extended running the coal raiser runs the main belt and the near tower belt. I operate only the main conveyer and near tower belt to off load the coal into the near tower. Everything is running fine. It was a good test run. Now i withdraw the deflector. I run the main belt. Automatically the far tower belt also run. Everything is working right. I replace the deflector the way I found it put all switches back to remote control and off I go back down the tower. My inspection over.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 26 2009 11:40:11 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 24 2009 :  12:11:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 50

Electrical operation of the Olear, Wapner coal tower.

This 1926 version of our model CT1926T is shown here. This tower is available in single bin ( CT1926S),a twin bin as shown, and a triple bin (CT1926T). Special orders for towers with more bins can be made. Inquiries for this can be sent to our home office.
**The electrical operation for all our coal towers is basically the same. We use 3 phase 208 volt as the operating voltage supplied to all our towers. All large drive motors on our chain and bucket coal lifting tower, conveyer belts, and coal deflectors are 3 phase 208 volt. Single phase 110 volt is for the electrical control panel, coal shoot operating motor, coal release motor, and all lighting. Of course to prevent employee theft of light bulbs all fixtures are left hand threaded.
**When a locomotive engineer wishes to load his tender coal bin, he must wait for a green light. Upon getting the green light he may proceed forward to where his fireman directs him to stop. The fireman can now go to the shoot control switch below and to the right of the control light fixture, or to a second switch which is located above on the walkway by the coal shoot. From these locations the fireman can lower the coal shoot above the tender coal bin. The first can be reached from the ladder below the control light fixture. The coal shoot can easily be seen from the upper part of the ladder. The second location is from a position of advantage on the upper walkway next to the shoot. The tender bin can be completely viewed from this location. We suggest use of the upper walkway location. Once the shoot starts to move down the control light should turn to red. This tells the locomotive engineer not to move the locomotive.
**Now to release the coal to the shoot. This can be done two ways. The release rope hanging above the tender can be operated from either a high point on the tender or from the walkway above. We suggest use of the walkway location. The tender bin can be completely viewed from this location. The fireman can now operate the coal release and fill the tender bin.
Once filled the fireman can use the second shoot lift control switch which is located on this platform on the wall by the ladder. When the shoot is all the way up and motion of the shoot has stopped, The control light will turn from red to green, signalling that it is OK to move the locomotive. Once the fireman has resumed his position in the cab the engineer can relocate the locomotive clear of the tower.
Instruction is finished. ****

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 26 2009 11:40:38 AM

LoopnHook
Big Six

Crusader

Posted - November 25 2009 :  8:17:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LoopnHook to Buddylist
quote:
Posted - November 24 2009 : 12:11:04 PM
Electrical operation of the Olear, Wapner coal tower.

...Of course to prevent employee theft of light bulbs all fixtures are left hand threaded.

Super nice coaling tower, Frank. And I agree we have to do every thing in our power to protect the profit and make the bottom line look good... But, shoosh, left hand threaded light fixtures? LOL

Loopy

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: October 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Tycomania VII Layout: El and Trolleys Topic Next Topic: Bamburgh Rebuild  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000