Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Tons of H0 Stuff From My Grandparents and Uncles
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Wacky of the Week WOTW March 29 to April 4 Topic Next Topic: 8...7...6…And...All...Good...Things...  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 21 2015 :  11:31:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Hey, guys.Today, my family went to my grandparent's house and they gave us a ton of H0 stuff that was in my greatuncle's attic for 20+ years (the newest receipt in one of the bins said 1990) and pretty much everything in the lot is filthy as heck.Apparently it belonged to someone in my family named Toby, who had phased out of model railroading 20+ years earlier, on top of some stuff from my grandpa from the 1960's.Well, here's most of the stuff (not all, I'll post the rest later on ). Oh and, disclaimer: these photos are from my grandparents to my parents and I.

And lastly, this interesting piece, which appears to be some barn thing.

What do you guys think?

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 22 2015 5:12:52 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 21 2015 :  11:36:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Cool stuff! I'm sure that soot or whatever should scrub off!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 21 2015 :  11:38:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Cool stuff! I'm sure that soot or whatever should scrub off!

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - March 21 2015 :  11:36:25 PM

It does, actually. It's just a pain in the neck to get it off everything.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Locodub
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 21 2015 :  11:47:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Locodub to Buddylist
Looks like a good collection. A few missing parts here and there, and some time in clean up. You never know what diamond in the rough you may find.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 87  ~  Member Since: March 16 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 22 2015 :  12:37:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
I think you hit the jackpot again Stephen! Wow man, there is a lot of gold in all that filth. Good job!
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 22 2015 :  12:46:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I think you hit the jackpot again Stephen! Wow man, there is a lot of gold in all that filth. Good job!

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - March 22 2015 :  12:37:54 AM

Thanks.There are tons of parts in the part bin thingies (which I'll post in the next AOTW) that might belong to those freight cars and locos that are currently missing parts.

-Steve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 22 2015 :  06:59:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Good luck with all the trains. Clean them up outside in the open air on a breezy day. I hope that is dusty dirt and not fungus. face mask, eye wear, and your gloves are appropriate.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on March 22 2015 07:00:41 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 22 2015 :  07:50:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Looks like some good stuff buried under a ton of dust and dirt. Nothing an air compressor and some time won't help. Too bad they stored them in open boxes, instead of closed, but hey, free is free, right? You got some good nuggets of train gold there, just the pain of cleaning them all up now. Pre-weathered. Enjoy!

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 22 2015 :  10:41:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Looks like some good stuff buried under a ton of dust and dirt. Nothing an air compressor and some time won't help. Too bad they stored them in open boxes, instead of closed, but hey, free is free, right? You got some good nuggets of train gold there, just the pain of cleaning them all up now. Pre-weathered. Enjoy!

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - March 22 2015 :  07:50:36 AM

Yeah...But other than that, there's a lot of neat stuff in those bins that I'll definitely find myself using. And some of the trains do, in fact, have a bit of fungus on them.

-Steve

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 22 2015 :  11:18:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Warm water, a soft toothbrush and Dawn dishwash liquid will take care of that.
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 22 2015 :  11:34:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Poultry car! *makes grabby paws* gimmies!

Not a bad haul
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - March 22 2015 :  5:49:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi kovacste000,

I borrowed Microbussses "grabby paws" for the passenger cars .

That is a great haul! It's always fun to be given stuff to dig through.
It's even more fun and meaningful to be given family items.

I wish you many hours of enjoyment from them.

Mytyco

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - March 22 2015 :  8:41:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
Nice looking collection minus the dirt. :-)

Tim
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 259  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 22 2015 :  10:45:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
I see a couple of interesting pieces, namely the Lionel-HO Poultry Car and an Athearn Gulf 42' tanker (not the easiest roadname to find, compared to the Dow, Dupont, and Mich. Alkali ones) - pretty nice haul! Have fun cleaning it all up
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 23 2015 :  09:27:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
I see a couple of interesting pieces, namely the Lionel-HO Poultry Car and an Athearn Gulf 42' tanker (not the easiest roadname to find, compared to the Dow, Dupont, and Mich. Alkali ones) - pretty nice haul! Have fun cleaning it all up

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - March 22 2015 :  10:45:42 PM

Apparently that poultry car was only made in 1959 and 1960. And it still lights up. Not very well but it does.Unfortunately though, the second light bulb broke while trying to put weights on the thing.But at least the other one still works. Oh, and in that lot, there's a bunch of curves from A.C Gilbert.And I'm not even done looking through the whole thing.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 23 2015 09:30:05 AM

richard p
Little Six

Posted - March 25 2015 :  12:05:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
Hey Stephen - need any help?!
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 25 2015 :  8:13:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Stephen - need any help?!

Originally posted by richard p - March 25 2015 :  12:05:40 PM

With what? Cleaning this stuff?

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 25 2015 8:13:23 PM

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - March 25 2015 :  11:24:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Awesome find, but I'm going to be "that guy"....

RUBBER GLOVES? Seriously? What are you afraid of...ebola? Get in there and go to work!

Seriously though, that's a great find and even better that it was in the family. You should have a lot of fun cleaning it up. That little "barn" looks like a nice homemade piece.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 26 2015 :  01:11:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:

RUBBER GLOVES? Seriously? What are you afraid of...ebola? Get in there and go to work!

LOL. I'm kind of curious how trains get THAT dirty. Water damage or mold perhaps? Maybe mice have been in the box? I'd probably go with the gloves too just on the off chance there's anything really gross hiding in the box.

Still, that's a nice haul that should clean up well.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Locodub
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 26 2015 :  07:02:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Locodub to Buddylist
I keep a box of gloves for just that purpose. You never know what is lurking in a box of old trains. Mice droppings, spiders, stink bugs, . But I also forget to use them, and you need exposure to germs to build immunity.
Either way, that is some cool stuff , and special too, because it's family .
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 87  ~  Member Since: March 16 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 26 2015 :  09:20:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Seriously though, that's a great find and even better that it was in the family. You should have a lot of fun cleaning it up. That little "barn" looks like a nice homemade piece.

Originally posted by burlington77 - March 25 2015 :  11:24:06 PM

I looked at the barn and found marks on the sides indicating that someone was planning to cut a little bit in it to make a door. So essentially, that barn is an unfinished project. On top of that, it's actually one of the cleanest things in the bins. But yeah, I wear gloves so I don't get any disgusting crud on me. Trust me, I've stumbled upon dead bugs, weird unidentified things that I don't wanna know, cobwebs, rust, corrosion, etc. And apparently all this stuff was stored unprotected in a dirty car garage where my great uncle fixed up cars to sell them, one of the cars he nicknamed "Christine" because (it's a Plymouth GTX) everytime he got rid of it, it kept coming back.So yeah, that's where the trains were found, he found them while he was moving out recently. That place was dirty as heck in my memory.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 26 2015 09:24:56 AM

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 26 2015 :  2:02:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
I've worked on trains that have survived floods of the Delaware river and corroded halfway to dust; trains that have survived being BURIED UNDERGROUND for a couple decades... this kind of filth is hardly extreme.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 26 2015 :  3:52:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Stephen, your great uncle was really careless. How did he manage get all those trains stuck on his dirt?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 26 2015 :  4:58:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:

The shoes and socks worry me more than the gloves...

Originally posted by burlington77 - March 25 2015 :  11:24:06 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 26 2015 :  5:21:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
What you're breathing when the dust flies is probably more worrisome than what you're touching. I've heard of lung diseases being spread by dust from packrat poop. Having said that, I'll admit that I don't much take my own advice on this.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 26 2015 :  10:16:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
What you're breathing when the dust flies is probably more worrisome than what you're touching. I've heard of lung diseases being spread by dust from packrat poop. Having said that, I'll admit that I don't much take my own advice on this.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - March 26 2015 :  5:21:36 PM

Me neither.

-Steve

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 26 2015 :  11:38:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Hantavirus comes from rodents, but I think it's fairly rare.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - March 27 2015 :  12:42:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
The best car is the Lighted Poultry Dispatch Car #0834 w/Operating Gray Door By Lionel. if you can clean that up and get it to working that would be a great score.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 27 2015 :  7:02:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Come to think of it, this is what Mike & Frank from American Pickers call "farm fresh." If the dirt in attics, basements, and barns was dangerous, they'd both be dead long ago. I'd just wear a mask to keep my sinuses from going nuts.

The best loco is the Tyco 0-4-0 Booster, which is darn near indestructible. The diesels are pancake-motored Bachmann, which should run fine when cleaned & lubed if their axles haven't split. The plastic 0-4-0 is Lima or Playart. I like the LL oil company kit. Any NS track should be salvageable. Nice little windfall.

The Tyco Depot

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - March 27 2015 :  8:10:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
quote:
Hantavirus comes from rodents, but I think it's fairly rare.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 26 2015 :  11:38:59 PM

I had a friend die from that some years ago. He worked in a major beverage warehouse, and he contracted it from the floor sweepings, one spring when they were cleaning. Sad sad story. Ever since then I wear gloves and a dust mask, and wash my hands often when doing cleanup such as this.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 27 2015 :  8:25:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Come to think of it, this is what Mike & Frank from American Pickers call "farm fresh." If the dirt in attics, basements, and barns was dangerous, they'd both be dead long ago. I'd just wear a mask to keep my sinuses from going nuts.

The best loco is the Tyco 0-4-0 Booster, which is darn near indestructible. The diesels are pancake-motored Bachmann, which should run fine when cleaned & lubed if their axles haven't split. The plastic 0-4-0 is Lima or Playart. I like the LL oil company kit. Any NS track should be salvageable. Nice little windfall.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 27 2015 :  7:02:41 PM

Uh, the Tyco 0-4-0 doesn't work period. Just hums and a little bit of smoke comes out of the motor.Those things have always been crud to me, seriously, they never work.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 27 2015 8:25:49 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 27 2015 :  8:46:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Have you cleaned it yet? The entire thing is going to need a thorough scrubbing, and then the commutator is probably going to need polishing. Alcohol & a toothbrush is good for the motor, and Windex is good for everything else.
The Tyco Depot

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 27 2015 :  9:31:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Have you cleaned it yet? The entire thing is going to need a thorough scrubbing, and then the commutator is probably going to need polishing. Alcohol & a toothbrush is good for the motor, and Windex is good for everything else.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 27 2015 :  8:46:03 PM

My parents used WD-40 on the thing...

-Steve

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 27 2015 :  9:39:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 27 2015 :  9:31:28 PM

That's oil! No wonder the motor's smoking.

The Tyco Depot

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 28 2015 :  09:57:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by kovacste000 - March 27 2015 :  9:31:28 PM

That's oil! No wonder the motor's smoking.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 27 2015 :  9:39:44 PM

LOL omg that is hilarious thanks Nelson I needed that

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 28 2015 :  10:58:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I warned my parents about it, too, Nelson. It makes me quite mad. It's like they want to destroy these things.Even before then, it didn't work, though, although it probably just needed lube and cleaning, yet my parents had already wrote it off as crud. It depresses me even thinking about it.
-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on March 28 2015 11:04:01 AM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 28 2015 :  4:11:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The motor humming and smoking could also be something mechanically jammed. Check if you can turn the armature by hand. If not, then see if the gears mesh and the side rods are all where they should be.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 28 2015 :  7:04:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
The motor humming and smoking could also be something mechanically jammed. Check if you can turn the armature by hand. If not, then see if the gears mesh and the side rods are all where they should be.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - March 28 2015 :  4:11:08 PM

I can turn the armature really easily.

-Steve

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 28 2015 :  7:06:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Stephen, what do they do for an encore, dip them in lacquer thinner and set them on fire?

When I was 15 my parents didn't touch my trains... I did all my own repair work, which is how I learned. Fortunately they kept a healthy distance.

If the motor was saturated, it needs an alcohol bath, letting the brushes soak the longest. Oil just the bearings.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on March 28 2015 7:08:58 PM

Locodub
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 31 2015 :  9:42:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Locodub to Buddylist
Just noticed the B&O Chessie coal hopper seems warped. Really warped, would look good with the Wacky of the week posted last week.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - April 01 2015 :  09:22:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Just noticed the B&O Chessie coal hopper seems warped. Really warped, would look good with the Wacky of the week posted last week.

Originally posted by Locodub - March 31 2015 :  9:42:46 PM

Maybe. I'm actually thinking of using it as a train wreck piece.

-Steve

Previous Topic: Wacky of the Week WOTW March 29 to April 4 Topic Next Topic: 8...7...6…And...All...Good...Things...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000