Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Putty?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Adding Rivets Topic Next Topic: Can anyone tell what this is ?  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 25 2014 :  12:55:29 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I've started a new steamer project and have a hole to fill. What's a good brand of putty and what grit of sand paper is needed to smooth back down? Also, do I need to prime it afterwards before painting it the final color?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - October 25 2014 :  1:46:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
I use Squadron. The green should not shrink too bad. You'll want to let it dry about 24 hours before priming, def prime. Sand with 600 then 1200. How big of a hole?

Tim
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 259  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 25 2014 :  2:02:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Cut out a dome on a Mantua 2-6-2 plastic boiler. Also, can Squadron be found locally?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - October 25 2014 :  3:49:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
It should be found at hobby shops. Hobbytown should have it.

Tim
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 259  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - October 25 2014 :  3:54:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Thanks. Gonna put a piece of styrene under it to so my detail parts have a solid mount.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - October 25 2014 :  4:27:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
You'd have to to give it support.

Tim

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - October 25 2014 :  6:14:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
I use Milliput. It can be formed easily like potter's clay. Has about 15 to 20 minutes working time.
No shrinkage. Can easily be wet sanded. I start with 320 and finish with 600 grit.
Strong when dried and I've never had it pop loose from plastic.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - October 25 2014 :  11:13:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
Milliput is nice too. It's an epoxy putty.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 25 2014 :  11:46:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
A tip on filling holes is to bevel the top side of the opening. If it's a drilled hole, carefully using a larger drill bit will do this. This method gives whatever kind of filler being used, more area of adhesion and less chance of a filler push thru.
Edited by - walt on October 25 2014 11:48:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - November 02 2014 :  10:25:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Do not use putty that has Tulene (spelling???) in it, as it will melt the plastic.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Adding Rivets Topic Next Topic: Can anyone tell what this is ?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000