Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Building of the week. (BOTW)
 BOTW August 24 - August 30
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: BOTW Jan 24th -30th ,   2016 Topic Next Topic: BOTW Jan 17th -23rd. - 2016  

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - August 24 2014 :  10:08:12 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
My BOTW is what happens when you have a structure you don't know what to do with + lots of sheet styrene.
It began as a Bachmann (?) passenger depot that wasn't really doing anything for me. I converted it into a REA freight transfer depot, adding an extended dock area for trucks to pull into and fork lifts to run around on.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator 

ChessieRR
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - August 24 2014 :  3:55:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChessieRR to Buddylist
quote:
My BOTW is what happens when you have a structure you don't know what to do with + lots of sheet styrene.
It began as a Bachmann (?) passenger depot that wasn't really doing anything for me. I converted it into a REA freight transfer depot, adding an extended dock area for trucks to pull into and fork lifts to run around on.

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - August 24 2014 :  10:08:12 AM

Very nice building! I've never been a big fan of the Bachmann structures, but with some added parts, details, and weathering, they can look great. The weathering on the roof looks especially good.

Edited by - ChessieRR on August 24 2014 3:56:18 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: February 24 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 24 2014 :  5:30:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Jerry, I like the attention to detail. You even have the rubber bumpers for the trucks to bump against on the dock.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 24 2014 :  9:24:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Creative repurposing of that passenger statiton! The yellow caution lines are a nice touch.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - August 24 2014 :  9:32:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
My BOTW:

Bret's Brewery... An all wood Campbell model I believe.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 24 2014 :  10:12:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist

Have my old dusty Howard Johnson's out this week...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 24 2014 :  10:44:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A new station, I just got at the Greenberg train show.
Pine Hallow Station

frank

dated 1987.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 24 2014 :  11:11:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very nice station, Frank...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 25 2014 :  01:51:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
This has always been an awkward building, I really like your solution to the difficult platforms and other problems that this structure had.
quote:
quote:

Very nice building! I've never been a big fan of the Bachmann structures, but with some added parts, details, and weathering, they can look great. The weathering on the roof looks especially good.

Originally posted by ChessieRR - August 24 2014 :  3:55:44 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 26 2014 :  2:43:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
This is really a lovely structure. This is one you could put on the layout without any modifications and feel very comfortable with it. It has true charm and character.
quote:
A new station, I just got at the Greenberg train show.
Pine Hallow Station

frank

dated 1987.

Originally posted by toptrain - August 24 2014 :  10:44:01 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - August 27 2014 :  12:39:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
This drove me (more) nuts hunting for it in old mags.
Finally, while not looking, I spotted it.
Aristo-Craft B550 Cooling Tower. Cooling for what?

Evan
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 27 2014 :  12:47:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Those Aristocraft structures have been catching my eye. I've never seen one close up; only in photos. But they seem to have just enough pretty solid detail and just enough "left out" to facilitate your imagination flowing. And, I think they would be excellent with a vintage train set.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 27 2014 :  12:34:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

I a idiot for not thinking of this earlier!
What you need is a portable ramp for getting the forklilfts off & on the loading dock
Or add a permanent ramp someplace
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - August 27 2014 :  3:44:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:

What you need is a portable ramp for getting the forklilfts off & on the loading dock

Originally posted by microbusss - August 27 2014 :  12:34:58 PM

Well Micro-B the fork lifts don't need to go anywhere but between the train cars and the trucks with some forays into the depot itself, but I can see where they may want to drive one down to the What-A-Burger around lunch time
I will keep your suggestion in mind when I finally glue this building down somewhere!

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 27 2014 :  4:35:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi pge33,no more real details,ken
http://www.hoseeker.net/aristocraft/aristocraftcatalog1958pg23.jpg
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - August 27 2014 :  8:10:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
No, Ken.It was as-is in a junk box of HO buildings.
I could easily add all kinds of junk to it, as in the illustration.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 28 2014 :  02:01:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
I worked at a large Supermarket chain in the St. louis area. We would often have regular cleaning inspections. Our Receiver decided that he wanted our forklift clean and shiny for an inspection and drove it down the ramp and then across the street to a do it yourself car wash.He sprayed the thing down and shorted out the battery in the process, it then blew up and caught fire.In another instance, we received a load of potting soil form a local nursery. They had an old flatbed truck with a wooden floor that had seen better days. the forklift crashed all the way through the flatbed trailer and went straight past the frame-rails to the ground. The Receiver got pretty banged up. We had another guy who managed to knock off a sprinkler head in our warehouse with the forklift, not once..not twice ...but three times on separate occasions. He earned the nickname the Master of Disaster.
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - August 27 2014 :  12:34:58 PM

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 28 2014 :  02:08:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
While I am thinking of it, the Mopac had what I believe was the worlds first fully automated railroad freight house in downtown St. louis. I got to walk through it when I was a member of the Missouri Pacific Explorer Post. It had small rails in the floor that automated low-lifts would follow any transfer pallets from one dock to another. Must have been pretty cool when it worked but I understand that it was short lived. The building did survive for some time and was finally demolished about the time that they built the MetroLink light rail system.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 28 2014 :  03:42:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
hi pge33,no more real details,ken
http://www.hoseeker.net/aristocraft/aristocraftcatalog1958pg23.jpg
Originally posted by catfordken - August 27 2014 :  4:35:56 PM

kool I'd like to get the Coca Cola stand
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 29 2014 :  12:24:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
While I am thinking of it, the Mopac had what I believe was the worlds first fully automated railroad freight house in downtown St. louis. I got to walk through it when I was a member of the Missouri Pacific Explorer Post. It had small rails in the floor that automated low-lifts would follow any transfer pallets from one dock to another. Must have been pretty cool when it worked but I understand that it was short lived. The building did survive for some time and was finally demolished about the time that they built the MetroLink light rail system.

Originally posted by metalsmith1 - August 28 2014 :  02:08:34 AM

Really?That building would've been pretty neat as some museum type thing but then again, it was probably in a very sorry state by the time they demolished it and would probably take too much time to restore. Plus the fact that it would probably cost too much money to buy and restore the structure itself.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on August 29 2014 12:26:27 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 30 2014 :  2:43:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
This drove me (more) nuts hunting for it in old mags.
Finally, while not looking, I spotted it.
Aristo-Craft B550 Cooling Tower. Cooling for what?

Evan

Originally posted by PGE33 - August 27 2014 :  12:39:04 AM

I would want to guess a charcoal kiln, except for the timber construction. Failing that,
you might wish to letter it up for a rehab clinic for Tycomaniac's to cool off from
the ride down the slippery slope.

Edited by - Chops124 on August 30 2014 2:45:07 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - August 30 2014 :  11:12:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
If not a charcoal kiln then how about a lumber kiln?

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 31 2014 :  12:08:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
If not a charcoal kiln then how about a lumber kiln?
Originally posted by metalsmith1 - August 30 2014 :  11:12:18 PM

It looks like the kind of factory that makes the front ends of horses to be shipped to Washington D.C. for final assembly. The rounded shape has levels of carousels where the horses are rotated under heat lamps and past fans until the horse glue sets up. The molecules in the glue are agitated with calliope music.

Outgoing loads are the front halves of horses mounted on pallets with the middle supported by a wooden frame attached to the pallet. These are shipped out in the front halves of stock cars. Incoming loads are bales of red clover hay shipped into the plant in the empty stock cars and covered hoppers (modern era) or box cars (steam era) loaded with the front halves of oats.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - August 31 2014 :  10:31:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Jerry I understand the yellow rubber bumpers!

If you are wondering about the driver, He ran for 2 minutes. He is walking back it will take him 1.5 hours!

Ramps? What Ramps? Don't need no stinking Ramps!!!

Regards, John ****************

Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction. Will Rogers

Edited by - JRG1951 on September 01 2014 10:44:44 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - August 31 2014 :  10:34:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:

Well, Plastruct/Evergreen must really like you now! Cool build, just needs some trucks, forklifts and freight piled everywhere. Nice work!

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - September 01 2014 :  10:11:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
As part of my job before retirement was an OSHA inspector and forklift safety instructor for all our plants around the world. While OSHA applied to the USA, the company used them to set policy to all our other facillities. Every 3 years all personnel that were allowed to drive a fork lift were tested and issued a driving licence (except in Germany where a regular driving licence allows anyone to drive a forklift) I used the same pics John posted and then some. Like the inside video showing a supervisor no less zipping through a 10 ft. tall doorway with a load fully extended to 14 ft.

Leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

swampHdaddy
Switcher

Posted - December 18 2015 :  6:38:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add swampHdaddy to Buddylist
quote:
Those Aristocraft structures have been catching my eye. I've never seen one close up; only in photos. But they seem to have just enough pretty solid detail and just enough "left out" to facilitate your imagination flowing. And, I think they would be excellent with a vintage train set.

Originally posted by Barry - August 27 2014 :  12:47:31 AM

Chiming in late, this is a Vollmer kit imported by Aristocraft. They were like AHM, but earlier in time, importing from Faller, Vollmer, Hoffman and other European manufacturers. I built this in the early 60s and did ok considering my skills at the time.

Swamp Daddy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: December 18 2015  ~  Last Visit: December 20 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Silvester
Switcher

Posted - January 19 2016 :  02:47:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Silvester to Buddylist
That is really a lovely structure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.casesam.co.uk/category-sony-xperia-z5-accessories-89.html

Edited by - Silvester on January 20 2016 10:19:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: January 19 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 20 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: BOTW Jan 24th -30th ,   2016 Topic Next Topic: BOTW Jan 17th -23rd. - 2016  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000