Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 The miniature 3D critter
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Kitbash - SD38P Topic Next Topic: Building the Arbour Models 2-8-4  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - February 15 2014 :  02:02:07 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
In my search for another small model to make a powering project and all the talk about 3D printing, I ran across a company called Shapeways. They'll 3D print pretty much anything from user created 3D software models, and they've built up a pretty good catalog of unique model railroad items. One of them is a very small GE 20-ton electric used on a few industrial lines, designed by "tschwartz1274". It was made to be a static model, so naturally, I had to power it.

There's the base model, except I'd already removed the 3D printed static wheels. Finding parts to easily and inexpensively make a fitting chassis turned out to be more difficult than I thought, but I eventually came up with this:

It's a modified Bachmann 44-tonner power truck, with NWSL wheels, the incredibly tiny yet powerful 1215D-9 motor, and some Kadee springs for wipers. This is the original defective truck from my Mack 15-ton project (on the MRR forum), but I was able to semi-repair the gears, tune it just right, and strengthen it with solid axles and metal axle bearings. It's not a perfect runner, but it's still pretty good!

It all just barely fits! The whole model is so tiny that the NWSL 1215D-9 is the only motor I could find that would fit without an extremely complex chassis design, and even with this it's pretty tight!

The wheelbase isn't perfect, but it's close enough! All I need to do now is detail it, paint it, put couplers on, and add a little more weight, and this'll be a good looking, good running critter!

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 15 2014 :  11:41:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That is some impressive micro-work there Darth. It is always fun to see your projects.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 15 2014 :  11:43:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
This is AMAZING. The power truck alone is incredible. Thanks for sharing
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 15 2014 :  12:05:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
wow,that laser modeling is impressive,must be the way forward when prices drop at least,great work with chassis ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 15 2014 :  12:30:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Cool engine!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - February 15 2014 :  4:55:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Thanks everyone!

Filled it full of lead today, and brought the weight up to about 4oz or so, making it one of my heavier plastic critters.

I also pulled the wheels out of gauge a bit, because it was having some trouble running over switches. It has that 4-wheel waddle, but it's a good runner overall.

I thought I'd give a little example of how tiny it is, so here it is next to a Grandt Line 25-ton and an Athearn Hustler.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 15 2014 :  6:15:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
It's small (tiny!) but what a great little switcher critter for an industrial yard.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 15 2014 :  7:24:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Very impressive Darth.
Do you have the link to this company?
Thanks

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - February 15 2014 :  7:32:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
Google is your friend!

http://www.shapeways.com/miniatures/model-trains?li=nav

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 16 2014 :  01:00:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Really neat design, Darth. Did you need a shoe horn to get it in?

What properties does the resin material have? It's been about a decade since I worked with the stuff, but our SLA prototypes were quite brittle, so we sanded & puttied them smooth and used them as masters for silicone molding. The jaggy resolution of the time put terrible stepping on curved surfaces, making fine detail like that just a pipe dream.

From what you said were the idler gears originally on plastic pins?

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - February 16 2014 :  01:19:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
No shoe horns required. I made it so the shell drops right onto the chassis, and I'll lightly glue it in place once it's painted and finished.

The printed plastic is about the same as clear window plastic. It's very tough, and has a little bit of flex, but it will crack if you're not careful.

The idler gears in the 44-tonner truck are a slip fit on metal pins like with most Bachmann drives, but the original wheels were press fit with half-axles, like Athearn. Of course, this makes it easier for the cheap gears to warp and crack, so I drilled them out a little for a light press fit on a solid axle, and I drilled out the axle holes and pressed small pieces of brass tube in so the wheels roll in all metal bearings. This should help it last much longer.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - February 16 2014 :  01:33:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
doggone it darth every time I see one of your cool projects it compeles me to contract you to build me something!!

I just dunno what!

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
Edited by - rgcw5 on February 16 2014 01:57:41 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - February 17 2014 :  03:26:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Terrific job! It reminds me of donkey engine that is used to pull boats through locks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 17 2014 :  9:58:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Thanks rcgw5!
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 18 2014 :  12:06:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi Darth Santa Fe,nice work,came across this,and thought how similar they are ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - August 27 2015 :  10:58:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Well, getting back to this took longer than expected, but I now have it finished!

Added a lot of details based on available photos! Except for the bell, it's all from scratch. For the cable reel on front, I measured 200 scale feet of ultra thin magnet wire and wrapped it around to represent the cable.

More details. I got as much wax off as I could, but couldn't quite get it all. Before adding the detail, I also sanded a few spots smoother. The manufacturing from 3D printing isn't perfect, but it's still very good!

I don't have it electrified, but this working trolley pole was made from scratch.

Now onto the finished photos!

Turned out pretty good I think! I may try adding window glass later, but I'm all done with it for now. It will never be a perfect runner, but it's at least pretty good, and has no problem pulling a few cars. And speaking of pulling, the couplers are simply glued in place. I could've come up with something to make them swivel and spring back, but it's short enough that it does fine without it.

Another critter for my collection!!

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 28 2015 :  12:28:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Looks really good, Darth. I quite like the interesting look it has.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 28 2015 :  07:48:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
very nice work,and well worth the end result

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 29 2015 :  08:47:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
Looks really cool! I like it
-Peter
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 97  ~  Member Since: June 11 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 01 2015 :  08:10:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Very interesting project, glad to see it finally come together. How strong is that plastic the printer uses? I've been told it's not exactly structurally high-impact, can't really tell by looking at it if it's fragile or can bend some without breaking. Is it soft to the touch, or is it smooth and rigid? Inquiring minds and all.... :)

Jerry in Va

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - September 01 2015 :  10:16:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
It's about like clear window plastic. It's hard and has a little flex to it, but it is somewhat brittle. Some areas were very smooth, and others needed sanding (it has to do with the layered printing process). Detail is pretty sharp, and it's easy to work with. The plastic's more than strong enough for a sturdy model!

Previous Topic: Kitbash - SD38P Topic Next Topic: Building the Arbour Models 2-8-4  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000