Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 Kadee couplers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Flickering passenger cars Topic Next Topic: Tyco undecorated Boxcar  

Ole Bandit
Switcher

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - May 06 2022 :  06:13:06 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Ole Bandit to Buddylist
Hello there !
Can I replace Tyco plastic coupler by the famous Kadee coupler ? Is it easy to do ? Thanks.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 24  ~  Member Since: April 30 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 09 2022 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 06 2022 :  10:48:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The most frequent adjustment I see is simply sliding in a no. 5 with its bronze spring under the shaft, and adjusting the pin height so it doesn't pick at frogs.

I believe there is also a specific coupler Kadee makes for converting Tyco cars, you would have to research their website.

Other people go with affixing a draft gear box directly to the body.

Myself, Kadee's are another "best practice" thing that did not
turn out to be an enjoyable sideline, for me. I found that maintaining a host of Kadee's to be a whole new enterprise.
I prefer to run trains, not be constantly repairing them.

Edited by - Chops124 on May 06 2022 10:49:34 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ole Bandit
Switcher

Posted - May 06 2022 :  11:40:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ole Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
I prefer to run trains, not be constantly repairing them.
Originally posted by Chops124 - May 06 2022 :  10:48:34 AM
Me too !
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 24  ~  Member Since: April 30 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 09 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - May 06 2022 :  12:43:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
I'll go along with Chops, however I found an easier way for me:

Take a short shank whisker Kadee coupler, glue the little bushing in place with super glue. On the truck, remove the tiny little tabs at the end of the Talco mount. When glue is dry lightly file the opening and pop in over the coupler tab in the truck. Done.

The Tyco "keeper", a Kadee with bushing superglued in and rat tail file to widen the opening in the bushing.

I gave up using the keeper- that's just a lot of fiddling to keep that from flying away from the work bench.

The top view

In general you need to use an underset shank to get the correct height.

By rule, when I can body mount the Kadee I do that. On triple tankers there is nowhere to do that so this has been the default.

Edited by - el rojo grande on May 07 2022 1:32:48 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - May 07 2022 :  7:31:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I've found the whisker couplers like the 148 to be much easier to use than the old standard #5s. The key to it all is using the coupler height guage to adjust the height, and carefully bending the trip pins so they don't snag anything like switch frogs.

I've also found the newer "ready to roll" cars by Athearn, Bachmann, Walthers and others are usually spot on with regards to coupler height. With what you spend on couplers and wheelsets upgrading the older cars, the new ones aren't that much more expensive. Bachnann in particular has a section on their website called "warehouse finds" where you can get some good deals on freight cars, some as low as $10.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - May 08 2022 :  12:55:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I don’t know if it’s still available, but Kadee did make an adapter that snaps into the talgo coupler pocket.

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ole Bandit
Switcher

Posted - May 08 2022 :  02:10:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ole Bandit to Buddylist
Thanks a lot for all your very interesting and very helpful answers.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 24  ~  Member Since: April 30 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 09 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - May 08 2022 :  04:36:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
Hello Old Bandit. I just finished doing a car last night and Tyco needs number 27 medium underset Kadee's for the talgo trucks.

Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ole Bandit
Switcher

Posted - May 08 2022 :  08:23:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ole Bandit to Buddylist
Problem solved. Thanks a lot !
  Previous Topic: Flickering passenger cars Topic Next Topic: Tyco undecorated Boxcar  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000