Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Train Sets
 When Tyco train sets began using Mehano locos...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bubble Yum Topic Next Topic: TYCO # 7328 - GOLDEN EAGLE SET VIDEO  

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - August 02 2013 :  6:24:50 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I am sure many of you remember in Tyco's waning years of model trains, their sets began to no longer include their own manufactured locomotives, instead substituting them for Mehano's made-in-Yugoslavia locomotives.
However, this wasn't just exclusive to the early 1990s. Tyco actually first began doing this around 1988-1989. I remember seeing a few "Rail Master 72" sets on eBay dated from 1988, and even though the box photos and artwork depict their famous Santa Fe GP-20, it actually includes an Alco Century 430 locomotive. I have also seen an "Overnight Freight" set from 1988 on eBay with an EMD F9-A Rock Island locomotive instead of the Shark Nose diesel.

The packaging still would often feature artwork/photos of the old Tyco locomotives instead. A confusing example was this:

The box artwork shows a GP-20, and the included stock photo shows Tyco's classic Santa Fe Alco Super 360, but the actual set would use an Alco Century 628 lo-nose diesel locomotive.
Strangely, the Mehano-made locomotives seem to be of a higher quality than Tyco's diesels of the 1980s. Maybe that's why. AHM, Life-Like and IHC also rebranded Mehano's diesels as their own, with Life-Like billing them as "premium-quality" locomotives. They actually had can motors and more than four-wheel drive.
The later 1991 Chattanooga Choo-Choo set also includes a Mehano-made Mikado 2-8-2 steam locomotive replacing Tyco's own 0-8-0. From an eBay guide I saw on Tyco trains, it claimed this later Mikado engine was of a higher-quality and more reliable than the 0-8-0 was.

But Tyco continued to offer their classic Hong Kong-made locomotives separately outside of the train sets until the end of their train line in 1993 (which also eventually lead to the demise of the company in 1998.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 02 2013 :  8:18:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
sometimes the Tyco locos will have Mehano on the bottom
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - August 13 2013 :  01:46:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
C628 so far as I know always had 8-wheel drive, even the purple box versions sold last.

Tyco may have continued to offer the Hong Kong items out of leftover stock, given they were likely shipped over by the container load.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 13 2013 :  02:04:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Also as far as I know, the TYCO offering that had a Mehano 2-8-2 wasn't.....that was a 2-8-2 for sure, but the times I have seen it, the pilot and trailing trucks were removed to make it an 0-8-0.....strangely enough looking to say the least but....... Also, this same model, was lacking valve gear.... it merely had the driver connecting rods, and a main rod, nothing more!

How do I know? I own 2 or 3 of them, or well did, they have all became rebuilt models in some way from IHC parts!

Also, I think all 3 of them, were the early models from Mehano, even tho IHC was selling "Premier" series stuff, again, how do I know? IF I recall correctly, I bought boiler stanchions from bowser, and added ALL the boiler railing to the 2 or 3 of them I had as they didn't come from factory, with it.....I had to drill all the holes for each stanchion....THEN again, with IHC's "Premier" series stuff, that all had handrails on the boiler and such and even on the boiler front, and I think (this is a long shot) but had cab, handrails!!!!!

Crazy part? THIS:

WAS one of them! I added all the IHC parts, fits perfectly, including the valve gear.....THEN the vandy tender, is a rebuilt Rivarossi that had taken a dive, and was "junk" when it came to me, in a trade!!!! I took it as I seen this shorter version that I needed for the 2-8-2 application!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bubble Yum Topic Next Topic: TYCO # 7328 - GOLDEN EAGLE SET VIDEO  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000