Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Orange/Green New Haven FA
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: P7519Q JC Penney 920-4488  Info wanted on this set Topic Next Topic: Dubuque Old Time Reefer  

farace
Switcher

NYNHHavatar

Posted - October 31 2010 :  5:27:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add farace to Buddylist
Happily, I picked up this FA (it's not a PA, right? they have longer noses?) for ten bucks at a local antique shop. New Haven only ran this color scheme for about a year. Pretty cool since I focus on New Haven.

Can anyone identify its maker? I can find no markings, though I haven't taken the circuit board off the top yet. I can see a can motor underneath with driveshafts, very vaguely Athearn-like but not like any of the Athearns I have. The chassis is rather heavy. The square structure and tanks on the bottom are plastic and snap on.

Thanks!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 70  ~  Member Since: January 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 06 2011 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 31 2010 :  5:33:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
looks like a bachmann to me,will check it out ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 31 2010 :  5:40:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
e-r (roco)did it i believe ken
Edited by - catfordken on October 31 2010 5:40:48 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - October 31 2010 :  5:41:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Farce. It could be a Walthers Trainline model. or like Ken said a E-R Model. Walthers I believe, bought the company a while back.. Nice find.. Carl

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/931-223

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )

Edited by - VintageHO on October 31 2010 5:48:55 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 31 2010 :  7:53:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Vintage got it right. That is a stock NH paint job for a Walters train line FA1. There are many B units with the paint out there. There was 2 runs of them. You will see them is Walters catalogs. it is made with the old Trainminature Dies. Yep took a double check. it is the Walters model.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 31 2010 7:56:52 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

farace
Switcher

NYNHHavatar

Posted - October 31 2010 :  10:05:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add farace to Buddylist
Thank you all very much. Now maybe I'll have to keep my eyes open for a cheap B unit, since New Haven actually had them, unlike the F7s I'm working on.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 70  ~  Member Since: January 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 06 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 31 2010 :  10:50:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
How are these Walthers Trainline engines suited to DCC? I bought several vintate FA-1 Train-Miniature kits at the Timonium show, which Walthers later bought and used the molds for their current FA-1 units. So I'm hoping they will fit the old T-M shell, and they're designed to DCC easily. Anyone know? The few sites I've seen selling them don't mention any DCC capability.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - November 01 2010 :  12:08:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Hey AMC,

The Walthers FA1 is not DCC ready. But it is DCC "compatible" with some minor work. The can motor is isolated from the frame with power being wired in. So switching to DCC should be a snap. The motor is a very low current draw Mabucchi 3-pole.

I have the Walthers GP-9m, GP 15-1, and GE Dash 8-40B, and they are also easily converted to DCC. Again, all have an isolated motor. The older H10-44 can be switched over, but will require a lot more work. And space inside is very tight!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

farace
Switcher

NYNHHavatar

Posted - November 01 2010 :  02:06:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add farace to Buddylist
I've been sitting here with a DVM thinking, "it can't be this easy." The motor brush leads are isolated, but the motor casing is not. But that's okay, because the wheels and power are totally isolated from the frame; nothing is grounded to the motor can or the frame. There's a long "circuit board" along the top of the frame (you can see it in the second photo above), and I use the term circuit board loosely because it's basically just two strips of copper. At the rear, the wire from each side of the trucks are soldered onto terminals on each side. At the front it's the same with the addition of the headlight also being soldered to the two terminals. In the middle of the board the motor wires are soldered to two terminals, one on each side.

So really, it looks like all I'm going to have to do is desolder the two motor leads and attach them to the appropriate decoder leads. Then solder the appropriate power leads from the decoder to the terminals that the motor leads were removed from. Remove the headlight and resolder to the appropriate decoder leads (or, in my instance, replace with a golden glow LED). Attach the decoder with some double-sided foam tape and that should be it. If I have time, I may try it tomorrow night. (What appears to me to be an added benefit from leaving the circuit board in place is that it will help keep the wires out of the way of the driveline underneath.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 70  ~  Member Since: January 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 06 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - November 01 2010 :  06:48:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Hey AMC,

The Walthers FA1 is not DCC ready. But it is DCC "compatible" with some minor work.
Originally posted by Hypoponera - November 01 2010 :  12:08:13 AM

Cool, I just bought one of the Trainline's last night on Ebay, the SP&S version. HOpe to have my Train-Miniature shell on it and running soon, then. I'm handy with a soldering iron.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

farace
Switcher

NYNHHavatar

Posted - November 01 2010 :  10:40:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add farace to Buddylist
Did it, put in an NCE D13SR.

Easiest Install Ever.

It went just as I expected and wrote above. Loco runs very smoothly, too.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 02 2010 :  10:10:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
golden glow LED?
Actually my friend suggested to me to use a Soft White LED for my NYC Hudson loco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

farace
Switcher

NYNHHavatar

Posted - November 02 2010 :  5:56:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add farace to Buddylist
I thought it was Golden Glow, but I lost the label, and it sure doesn't look very yellow. At least it's not bluish, so maybe it is Soft White. Whatever it is, it's really bright and is glowing through the shell even though I put heat-shrink tubing on it so only the tip is exposed, so I will probably paint the inside of the shell at some point.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 31 2021 :  8:43:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
Happily, I picked up this FA (it's not a PA, right? they have longer noses?) for ten bucks at a local antique shop. New Haven only ran this color scheme for about a year. Pretty cool since I focus on New Haven.

Can anyone identify its maker? I can find no markings, though I haven't taken the circuit board off the top yet. I can see a can motor underneath with driveshafts, very vaguely Athearn-like but not like any of the Athearns I have. The chassis is rather heavy. The square structure and tanks on the bottom are plastic and snap on.

Thanks!

Originally posted by farace - October 31 2010 :  5:27:57 PM

Definitely not a common New Haven unit.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: P7519Q JC Penney 920-4488  Info wanted on this set Topic Next Topic: Dubuque Old Time Reefer  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000