Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Marx Motive Power, Rolling Stock and Accessories
 Marx truck replacement solution - Model Power!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: HUDSON BLUES Topic Next Topic: found by accident  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 12 2010 :  9:50:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I just posted this in my response to my Loose Ends post on some repairs, and had an epiphany for how to solve my missing original Marx trucks problem. Here's a duplicate post of my response to a guy's query on fixing his Marx cars with missing trucks :

quote:
BTW - I have a couple marx cars with no trucks. How do you put trucks go on those button/post thingees?

Originally posted by Helm - September 12 2010 : 5:05:46 PM

Ah, that's the sticking point, Helm. They are special trucks , if you look at the two loose ones in the photo with the flat car, you can see they're not a solid axle across, they're parallel axles. They actually bow apart to fit over the pin, the center ring that fits around the pivot isn't solid, it's two parts. The ones in the picture also have a plastic pin already in the center pivot point, to fit into the hole in the flatcar ( if there was one) I'm assuming later models did not have metal pins, they used a cheaper plastic pushpin mount like these, or these are of Model Power design for the Marx model which they acquired later. At any rate, you can do one of two things ; find original trucks (good luck ), or remove the pin from the chassis and replace with screws and nuts. Not sure how that would work, as there's no shoulder like on other rolling stock bases for the truck to pivot on. There's apparently also a special designed coupler arm with stiffeners to prevent it from swinging out too far when pushing the car instead of pulling, to prevent derailing. Another unique and successful contribution from Marx, but where do you get those coupler arms? My junkbox buddy who has most everything doesn't have those. So at this point, it's cannibalize other Marx cars for the parts, or luck onto some somewhere. I will probably take one truck with me to a Train show to look for some. OR...since Model Power acquired Marx molds...maybe???? they have them ? Hold on adangminute, I have some new MP work cabooses... checking...pulling flatcar back out....comparing...OohRah! BINGO! In da HOLE! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo daddy! They're identical! Well, except for one thing...the new Model Power coupler has a Kadee knockoff, not the old hornhook type And they use plastic pins, not the metal ones. But the coupler and truck should snap over the older metal peg and work. So I think I just solved BOTH our problems, Helm! We'll just have to order entire trucks from Model Power. Ok, so make that we can now do one of THREE things. The easiest being order spare trucks and coupler assemblies from Model power for the older Marx rolling stock. The only difference I see between the old and new trucks is that the Marx trucks seem to be a hair thicker plastic, and it's very smooth, the Model Power work caboose trucks have a more grainy appearance. I can live with that Wheels and axles look identical, too....straight and thick, not tapered in the middle like some axles. Wow, what do they call this thing, an epiphany? Sudden realization? yup! Anyway, so problem solved, just buy new Model power truck and coupler replacements, and we're all set. Now I gotta go online to find some. At least it's a GOOD feeling, when you suddenly realize there's a solution in front of your face. LOL.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 14 2010 :  12:05:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Here's the email address, and the response from Mike, on replacement truck/coupler assemblies. Contact him if you need or want any for your old Marx rolling stock

Re: replacement parts wanted - Model power HO rolling stock, work caboose trucks and couplers
Mantua Classics <mantua@modelpower.com>

To: Jerry Casper <gremlingts@yahoo.com>

HI; The part is FCT-8001 at $4.00 each. How many do you need ?
Michael

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 16 2010 :  1:25:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
UPDATE 10/16/2010 - received Model Power replacement trucks for Marx - Installation pics

Ok, after some weeks time, I finally received my new Model Power / Marx trucks and couplers to try out on the old vintage Marx flatcar I have that needed a new truck/coupler assembly. Wow, nice! They're a perfect fit, and work just fine! So here's a solution if you have Marx cars missing trucks. Here we go!

1 - parts - what I received , I ordered 6 sets. The one on the flatcar is original. You can only see a slight difference in the plastic patina, pebbly versus smooth on the Marx original. But it fits fine, so the graininess doesn't bother me.

2 - close-up of truck assembly

3 - Installation of coupler arm over pin

4 - Installation of coupler ( horn hook to match original) - a bit tricky lining it up out of sight.

5 - Installation of truck - snap on, presto, it's repaired!

So, at $4 apiece per truck assembly, not exactly cheap, but hey, you can repair your vintage Marx now! Sweet. The P/N is FCT-8001 , that is the truck, horn-hook coupler, and coupler arm. everything matched up EXACTLY ( how often do replacement parts do THAT?!), so well worth it to me. You can find the price list at : WWW.modelpower.com/contactus.html ( in other words, request it via email. I didn't find one online ).

Hope this is of some help to those who wish to repair those odd-ball Marx trucks, now with common Model Power trucks. Can't go wrong here!

Jerry Casper

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: HUDSON BLUES Topic Next Topic: found by accident  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000