Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 Promotional CenterFlow hopper
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Anyone recognize this car? Topic Next Topic: PC Caboose  

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 21 2006 :  10:29:21 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
/tyco/forum/uploaded/GoingInCirclez/2964_1.JPG

The lone pic aroused my suspicion, so after asking the seller to confirm a couple things and adjust the outrageous flat shipping charge, I ended up with this:

Of course the one segment of the end cage is broken, but that's easily fixed.

The oddly-placed reporting marks and capy data - a dubious Tyco trademark of sorts - are what made me hopeful this was a legit item, which it is. [}:)] At least they put them on the LEFT side of the car on this one! But take special note of the CU.FT. spec: 525G? (it should be 5250) [:P]

Inccorectly mixed hatches (and cribbing of Athearn) aside, these are some of Tyco's best cars. I've always wondered why they never released more roadnames. But this is the first promo-version I've seen; I wonder what others are out there?

Of course this did not came with a box. So if anyone has info regarding availability, stock#, etc, that would be good....

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on December 21 2006 10:38:00 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator 

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - December 21 2006 :  10:53:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
Tony L.,
I will check my IHC/Tyco mold hoppers and confirm if IHC did this car, or not. I'll get back to ya before Sunday evening.

Me thinks it may be like the 3 Boxed "Corn Products" Chemical Tank Cars from eBay a few months back...done custom by a hobby shop, Bev-Bel, or something similar. The graphics look pro.

I have never seen any centerflow hoppers as promos...but as we all know, ANYTHING WAS/IS POSSIBLE with Tyco.

I sold Alex a mint, solid white/undecked centerflow hopper...so it is quite possible.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 21 2006 :  11:48:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
ThOR - I have 2 of those Corn Products tank cars; they're VERY well done! They were done by IHC in the mid-90's or so. I got them because the company they were based on, Argo Corn Products Co., was headquartered in Summit/Argo IL, about 3 miles from my house! Place looks like an oil refinery and the smell of cornstarch is overpowering and while not unpleasant, is somewhat, um, aggravating? It's very strange! At any rate they didn't actually own tankers like those (they leased fleets of plain black UTLX tanks), but the colors and graphics are faithful and go well with the various center flows that were/are on the market.

The Alcan car DOES have the TYCO logo embossed on the underside - didn't IHC remove those?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - December 22 2006 :  08:39:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Possibly very interesting find! I saw that and assumed it was custom paint or perhaps IHC.

I think you're correct that IHC's runs, from what I've examined, usually have the TYCO Hong Kong buffed out. You can usually see the area where the mold once said TYCO Hong Kong.

Sure looks legit to me, especially after the comments made by Tony L. regarding the placement of data and the TYCO mark on the bottom.

Here's a 1990s IHC Jell-O Covered Hopper from a Hy-Vee grocery stores 3-pack...

The IHC origin mark...

Here's an old TYCO Morton Salt Covered Hopper...

TYCO name on one end of the car's bottom

TYCO name and country of origin on the other end of the car.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 22 2006 :  2:34:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Here's the underside of the Alcan car:

And for comparison along with a similarly-colored catalog relase:

The good news is, I think I found my donor for that broken cage post [:D] And if you compare the fonts, sizing, and placement of the reporting marks & capy data - especially the "525G" on BOTH cars - and the base and data colors used, they look convincingly similar to me....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ThOR,

Here's my CPC fleet:

^ Is that the chemical tank car you were referring to? I have two of those.

Everyone, pay attention to those marking details, as they're he quickest distinction between a Tyco and an IHC release! IHC's ex-tyco cars generally feature MUCH higher paint quality, and include better data that is sized and located properly. But the biggest giveaway is the COTS stencil ("black boxes" in lower-right section of a car) - Tyco NEVER applied these on a production model, but most if not all of IHC's versions have them. (Tyco did show COTS stencils on the cataloged Billboard Railbox, but I have never seen one with them).

Of course, being a promo item, Tony C.'s Jello car above doesn't have these details either... but it's still a good general rule to follow.

CPC center-flows. The left is a Bev-Bel/Athearn from who knows when; the right is a new Atlas Trainman, released earlier this year.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on December 24 2006 1:56:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - December 24 2006 :  5:05:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
Yup. No IHC Corn Products hoppers in my collection. It is definitely a Tyco. There's another one I never knew existed.

Yeah...I was referring to that particular CPC chemical tanker...there was a lot of 3 a few months back on eBay.

Good find!

-ThOR
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 01 2007 :  12:27:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
The whole time I'd been looking at this Alcan car, I kept thinking: "I've seen this data before."

And while digging through the graveyard this weekend, I found it:

I think that settles it for good: What we have here is a gen-you-wine, uncataloged, previously unknown Tyco Center Flow... [:D]

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 10 2023 :  4:09:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Originally posted by Tony Cook on December 22 2006

Looks a bit better than the Tyco version. Perhaps at your local train show next time.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5897  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Anyone recognize this car? Topic Next Topic: PC Caboose  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000