Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 American Flyer (Gilbert)
 4-6-4 motor help?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: American Flyer HO Website Topic   

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - January 07 2010 :  09:10:24 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
So my friend recived one of these a year or so ago, it barely ran so we didn't pay much attention to it at the time. After the display case fell off the wall we decided having it couped up was no way to treat it and took a new intrest in it. Its really rough around the edges but nice & heavy. Motor setup is odd I've never seen a setup quiet like this (the housing is so big it buldges out the sides of the chassis a little. He tried opening it up and cleaning it but its still not running. We talked about MAYBE attempting a remotor down the road, but if its a bit of a rare engine I'd rather keep it as is.

Again I'm a total noob when it comes to AF so if anyone can offer up some opinions on what path to take I'm all ears!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator 

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 07 2010 :  1:29:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
What kind of power pack are you using?
Those old Hudsons were power hogs
Some were AC with a reverse unit in the tender and some had a DC motor.
The one I have has the DC motor.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - January 07 2010 :  1:55:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
quote:
What kind of power pack are you using?
Originally posted by Ray Marinaccio-January 07 2010: 1:29:01 PM

MRC Tech4 280. I'm pretty sure its DC, its moved forward on our track before (barely). It has two of its pickup wires coming out of the tender. Tender also houses what I'm told is a smoke unit. And last night my friend got the tender to dance around a make chugging sounds. Which was a feature I think we were both unaware of till that point haha.

Is your Hudson still stock Ray or did you give it a new motor?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 07 2010 :  2:41:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Mine has the original motor. It has a perminant magnet (DC)
I'm not sure if the magnet is stock AF or it is the Pittman magnet for the DC conversion.
Mine had nothing in the tender (except a bunch of zink pest)
Mine draws quite a bit of power.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 09 2010 :  5:10:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Chris, you can look up the locos number here: http://gilbertafho.home.att.net/side_frame_start.htm

If it has the smoke unit in the tender, it likely has an A.C. motor with the reverse unit in the boiler, which would be the likely source of trouble. The E-unit wipers and drum could be dirty or worn.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: American Flyer HO Website Topic   
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000