Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Train Sets
 Tyco Set T-6405
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Instruction sheet for sets. Topic Next Topic: RailMaster 102: Todays Find!  

LoopnHook
Big Six

Crusader

Posted - November 28 2009 :  8:41:15 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add LoopnHook to Buddylist
I have often wondered what prompted Tyco to bring out a Military Train set in 1964 The anti war movement was gaining momentum and between that dissention and the civil rights unrest the Christmas of 1964 was decidedly unpleasant. Young carolers singing/chanting Ho, Ho, Ho, LBJ; How many boys you kill today? I suppose Nelson Tyler at Tyco, like President Johnson and a great many citizens failed to realize how adamant the protestors were!

Set T-6405 was cataloged in 1964-65 and then quietly disappeared! Tanks for the lousy memories!

Shown: 314F 40ft Flatcars with 2 tanks each

Shown: 311X Boxcar, 309Q 4 Wheel Caboose and 213L 0-4-0T Booster

and so it goes...

Loopy

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: October 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2010 Alert Moderator 

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 28 2009 :  10:21:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Wow... what an interesting historical perspective. Obviously before my time, I never would have considered it this way. Thanks for that insight.

As for the why, here's my hypothesis: Tyco obvioulsly had some great success with the Civil War sets in 1962. 1964/65 would have been the 20th Anniversary of the height and end of WWII... and you can bet there were a lot of salty vets who were model railroaders at the time. I'm sure this set was timed to coincide with any 20th Anniversary commemoration and memory that may have been going on... obviously they misjudged this.

But they did re-release the Civil War sets again, this time for a proper "100th Anniversary" commemoration in 1966/67....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 28 2009 :  10:38:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
neat Let's not forget the G.I. Joe A-team sets & the Rambo sets that came ourt later
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - November 28 2009 :  11:53:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
quote:

I have often wondered what prompted Tyco to bring out a Military Train set in 1964 The anti war movement was gaining momentum and between that dissention and the civil rights unrest the Christmas of 1964 was decidedly unpleasant. Young carolers singing/chanting Ho, Ho, Ho, LBJ; How many boys you kill today? I suppose Nelson Tyler at Tyco, like President Johnson and a great many citizens failed to realize how adamant the protestors were!

Set T-6405 was cataloged in 1964-65 and then quietly disappeared! Tanks for the lousy memories!

Shown: 314F 40ft Flatcars with 2 tanks each

Shown: 311X Boxcar, 309Q 4 Wheel Caboose and 213L 0-4-0T Booster

and so it goes...

Originally posted by LoopnHook-November 28 2009: 8:41:15 PM

LoopnHook, at the time, who figured a war would go longer than WWII?

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - November 30 2009 :  01:26:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Wow Loopy,
That's a very cool set,I've never seen that one before.
Thanks for sharing.

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

slufoot733
Switcher

Posted - February 25 2010 :  9:22:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slufoot733 to Buddylist
I was pleased to find this posting. I received this exact train set for Christmas that year. The train pictured is EXACTLY what I received. It was my first HO train and I still have it. Unfortunately I dropped the locomotive and damaged the cast metal body. I made what repairs I could and painted it black . How I wish I had never done that. However, the flats, box and caboose still look the same. The engine runs though a little noisy.

Thanks for posting a picture of the set.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: September 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: July 19 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 06 2011 :  7:29:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Very Neat! Reminds me Of My Bachmann Set With An Army GP40. Its At The End Of My Bed Beneath Where most Of My Pics Are Taken.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco Instruction sheet for sets. Topic Next Topic: RailMaster 102: Todays Find!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000