Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Car of the Week (COTW)
 COTW - Dec 28 - Jan 03, 2009
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: COTW October 11 - October 17, 2015 Topic Next Topic: COTW 4TH OCT-10TH OCT  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - December 28 2008 :  11:14:25 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Here's a very clean example of Tyco's Bobber Caboose with the US Army Communications car graphics. I stumbled upon this sweetie when I wasn't even looking and didn't think twice.

Edited by - New_York_Central on October 06 2015 8:20:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator 

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - December 28 2008 :  11:16:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Is the frame die-cast? I have never seen this one before. I noticed the coupler pockets are long on this one also for a Tyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - December 28 2008 :  11:19:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Is the frame die-cast? I have never seen this one before. I noticed the coupler pockets are long on this one also for a Tyco

Originally posted by Brianstyco - December 28 2008 : 11:16:58 AM

The frame is plastic, there is very little metal at all in this piece.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - December 28 2008 :  1:44:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I recieved two Con-Cor streamlined passenger cars for Christmas, a coach and a Vista-dome, both in Erie Lackawanna paint.
Perfect for being pulled by my Athearn PA!

Here's the dome car.

These Con-Cor's are a VAST improvement over the IHC passenger cars I got last year...let's just say I won't be buying more from them anytime soon.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 28 2008 :  2:27:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Cool dome car Matt. I've always found my Con-cor car to be a little on the light side, but they do look nice (especially for what they cost). Were your IHC cars made by Rivarossi?

This is a Bachmann SF Full-Dome passenger car I bought earlier this year.

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 28 2008 :  2:30:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
wow thats a bright santa fe,was it a special ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - December 28 2008 :  2:39:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Cheez:
I do plan on adding a bit of weight to these cars, actually. They're not too light, but a little bit more weight never hurts.

The IHC cars I got were brand new, made by IHC themselves I believe. There's no markings on the bottom.

Get this - the three cars I got all have gray roofs, and none of them match another. They're each an individual shade of gray.
And, on top of that, none of them came with any weights. Just a hollow plastic shell on top of the wheels.

Even worse still, they were bought to match a Proto 1000 Erie-Built I also got. While it looked great, the motor was a complete bust, it must have been a dud or something.

Last year was not a good year for Christmas trains, I'll tell ya.

That's a funky looking dome car you've got. I wonder how many people Santa Fe would have blinded if it were a real prototype...

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 28 2008 :  3:12:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Ken. Shiny eh I'm not really sure what it is...probably just a fantasy scheme. Tyco made some chrome cars as well back in the 60's. :P

quote:
The IHC cars I got were brand new, made by IHC themselves I believe. There's no markings on the bottom.

Wait no...It's AHM I was thinking of! They're the ones that imported my Rivarossi cars! ...And then I have a blue Via car that's made by IHC. *Shoots myself in the head*

Ok, so ya... I have one IHC car. It looks alright, but it's extremely light.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - December 28 2008 :  4:35:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Cheez dude, that's a serious episode of "Pimp My Dome car"

My N scale Arnold Rapido NYC Vista dome...only, NYC could never have owned them. Northeast railroads being the oldest, their tunnels were built for smaller equipment until they were opened up in the 80s...

Edited by - shaygetz on December 28 2008 4:36:46 PM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 28 2008 :  5:14:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
The IHC passenger cars are apparently unweighted in order to leave room for the optional matching add-in Interior and/or Lighting kits.

I have the full IHC take on the Chessie Steam Special and while the cars are not spectacular perfect, they are nicely done, near-full length, and run well. The paint and decoration is uniform and well done.

Still, I suppose they could have used a removable weight. But it must be noted, not being a passenger train buff myself, it's nice to get an entire 8-car train that does the job, for the price of just one or two Walthers cars. The latest NYC paasenger cars from Walthers are like $75 EACH?! My entire IHC Chessie train WITH interiors only cost me $90 brand new in 2005!

Mismatched roof colors would be kind of neat if you were modeling a train in its later service years. Besides, toward the end of real-life passenger service, mismatched roofs were the least of a train's aesthetic woes.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - December 29 2008 :  7:39:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Here is a Pemco CN Refrigerator Car.

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - December 31 2008 :  08:37:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Ken. Shiny eh I'm not really sure what it is...probably just a fantasy scheme. Tyco made some chrome cars as well back in the 60's. :P

Originally posted by DaCheez-December 28 2008: 3:12:43 PM

[/quote]

I would hope the Santa Fe handed out sunglasses with tickets before having folks board those super bright chrome plated All-Domes.

This Santa Fe All-Dome with Chrome was a standard Bachmann catalog item for a number of years in the late '70s. There are Amtrak examples with this same heavy bright coating of chrome.

http://ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscalerollingstock/id52.html

Tony

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 31 2008 :  8:11:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Tony. Nice page. Bachmann made the full-dome car in CN too. Was that one not catologed?

I finally got my hands on a Bachmann CN full-dome car today. The design of the coupler pockets is really cool. There's a mech inside the car which causes the pockets to swivel with the movement of the trucks. I'm guessing this is to allow operation on tight curves. Pretty neat.

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - January 01 2009 :  5:41:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Tony. Nice page. Bachmann made the full-dome car in CN too. Was that one not catologed?

I finally got my hands on a Bachmann CN full-dome car today. The design of the coupler pockets is really cool. There's a mech inside the car which causes the pockets to swivel with the movement of the trucks. I'm guessing this is to allow operation on tight curves. Pretty neat.

Originally posted by DaCheez-December 31 2008: 8:11:07 PM

That is cool Cheez!
Sounds like it would be a good idea, as long as there is little binding or resistance in the mechanism.

- Matt -

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 01 2009 :  6:40:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi guys it seems a great idea from bachmann its on my doodlebug,and is very free in its movement,smooth as a button ken

Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 02 2009 :  7:44:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
my car of the week,commissary dept kitchen car only dry fitted so trucks are loose,glazed,but no glue or screws ken

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - January 02 2009 :  7:58:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
A good start to putting together a nice work train.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - January 03 2009 :  10:53:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
My favorites of the moment--picked these up a few weeks ago, they've seen a lot of service since--very simple and basic Life-Like, don't know from what era. Have a diner, Pullman and coach. No interiors, but all windows are glazed. Cost: $10 total.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 03 2009 :  11:06:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
chris i see those magic letters SOUTHERN ken

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - January 03 2009 :  11:57:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Adams, those are Life-Like Scene Master series cars from the early 80s. Yours are missing the rubber diaphragms that Life-Like installed on them, not unusual as they created a derailment issue on tight curves. The molds go back through AHM/Penn Line in the mid 60s to Varney from the late 50s. Here's one in its AHM/Penn Line version, they came with metal trucks and an optional light kit...

Edited by - shaygetz on January 03 2009 11:59:21 AM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 07 2015 :  12:05:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice car and photo there Shaygetz.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: COTW October 11 - October 17, 2015 Topic Next Topic: COTW 4TH OCT-10TH OCT  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000