Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 The BUDD RDC
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 18 ct. Gold General Topic Next Topic: golden spike boxcar  

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 09 2008 :  3:04:45 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
This model was made by three manufactures for the mass market. Athearn the oldest run was all metal. They made 3 or 4 different versions. They had one gear driven truck. The next, Athearn produced the HI-FI belt (rubber ban) driven die cast chassi with a plastic body RDC in 2 versions. The next,(this photo) came out when the second Athearn was still new, was made by one company for release by another. Tri-Ang made for ATT (American Train and Track Co.). Last are the Ptoto for Life Like trains. I have seen two versions. Maybe their are more. What do you know about any of these.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on March 18 2009 2:56:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - November 09 2008 :  3:24:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi frank have a look at these ken
http://collectables.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Trains-Railway-Models__at-t_W0QQ_nkwZatQ26tQQ_catrefZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_sacZ1QQ_sacatZ479QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282?_trksid=p3286.c0.m282
http://www.modelfair.com/acatalog/American_Train___Track_locomotives_previously_sold.html
http://www.modelfair.com/acatalog/American_Train___Track_Locomotives.html

Edited by - catfordken on November 09 2008 3:32:01 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 09 2008 :  6:47:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken: The English are crazy. Three weeks ago at a train show for the New York Society of model engineers. I could have gotten 9 of them. 4 powered and 5 dummies. None had boxes. Four were sold as pairs, aPower and a dummy. The remaning 5, some one had painted a blue stripe down the window centers. None sold and they were cheep. The painted ones $2 for a power and $1 for a dummy. The pairs were $20 and $15 each. People must buy them to keep them in their boxs.
The ATT Alco 415 is a junk locomotive. Made in Yugo. It doesn't last when run. At least the Tri-Ang RDC has a better drive. Tho it is OO in size.
Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 09 2008 6:48:18 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 09 2008 :  9:13:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
I have the Athearn models in the Hi-F drive, both the RDC1 and RDC3. My powered model runs like a watch but does have an interesting "boing" bounce if throttled down too fast. They are "shorties", about 10 scale feet shorter than actual prototype specs.

Edited by - shaygetz on November 09 2008 9:14:38 PM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - November 10 2008 :  06:04:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
he frank remember,triang is really a uk collectable,and at&t are american,so we did not get many of these items so there will always be a demand from the true triang collecter,the at&ts go any where from 30 unboxed to 250 for the rarer versions,athearn go for 20/50 higher figure for the standard drive,proto 1000s for about 30/55 for the odd liveries ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - November 10 2008 :  07:56:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Here is a picture of the Athearn All Metal Gear Drive RDC 1. Early 1950s. Athearn made Powered and Dummy Metal RDC-1, 2 ,3, & 4. Later on the plastic Hi-F versions they only made RDC 1 & 3. Carl

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 10 2008 :  08:41:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Does anyone have a Athearn Plastic RDC repowered with a Earnst regearing kit.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 10 2008 08:41:29 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - November 10 2008 :  10:52:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
I have one Athearn RDCs with the Ernst gear set. I installed a can motor and made a driveshaft from Athearn and Hobbytown parts.
It runs ok, (like an Athearn gear drive loco)

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 11 2008 :  7:40:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I have a Via RDC-3 with an upgraded motor and gears. The guys at Hoseeker figured out what it was a while back, but I don't remember what it's called. I also have an undec. RDC-1 with the stock rubber band drive.

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - November 11 2008 :  9:28:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
That is the Ernst kit installed acording to the instruction.
The RDC got the motor upgrade about the same time as the Hustler.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - November 11 2008 :  9:33:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
The Alaskan RR has one in service. Does anyone make a model in the Alaskan RR colors.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 13 2008 :  11:08:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Get some decal !
frank

toptrain

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - January 11 2011 :  5:15:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
I'm doing my first RDC gear kit install. The instructions say to remove the motor and then later on, reinstall the motor but there are no instructions on how to do this. It looks like the motor is heat staked in place.

Has anyone ever installed one of these kits and if so, what did you do about the motor removal and installation?

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Edited by - RDC1 on January 11 2011 5:15:48 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

farace
Switcher

NYNHHavatar

Posted - January 11 2011 :  5:50:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add farace to Buddylist
If it's the typical Athearn motor mount, it's a two-piece soft plastic mount that's a press fit into the four holes on the chassis, and should with a bit of wiggling pop out without much problem. But if it's the typical Athearn motor mount, it may also be the case that the soft plastic has ossified and become hard and brittle, so that when you wiggle to pop it out it breaks. Fear not, as the mounts are readily available.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 70  ~  Member Since: January 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 06 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - January 11 2011 :  6:26:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
Allllrighty, thanks ... here goes nuthin'

~ Dave

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 11 2011 :  6:54:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Three weeks ago at a train show ... I could have gotten 9 of them. None sold and they were cheep. The painted ones $2 for a power and $1 for a dummy.

Wow, I woulda snapped them up at that price! I hardly see the RDC's at my shows, and DEFINITELY not for that price!

quote:

The ATT Alco 415 is a junk locomotive. Made in Yugo. It doesn't last when run. Frank
Originally posted by toptrain 

I have several of the 415's now, one is an ATT. I bought a 5-pole skew motor to replace the noisy, nasty stock one, but it requires cutting the mounting bracket to make it fit. I haven't decided yet to do it, but I think I will. My current motor runs ok, but noisy. Probably won't last, and I'd rather have the peace and quiet of a skew motor that's well-balanced.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - January 11 2011 :  10:01:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
I'll never do another Ernst conversion again. The kit with shipping cost more than I paid for the engine, it's poorly engineered, it needs a LOT of work right out of the package and one of the 16 tooth gears are out of round. If this thing runs nice, I'll be amazed. If not, I'll either convert it back to rubber band drive or kick it down a hill somewhere and get some old ATT RDCs or the newer Proto 1000 models.
~ Dave

They're ALL toys

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 11 2011 :  11:42:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
I'll never do another Ernst conversion again. .... If this thing runs nice, I'll be amazed. If not, I'll ... get .... the newer Proto 1000 models.

Originally posted by RDC1 - January 11 2011 :  10:01:43 PM

Yes, the Ernest gear drive install is kinda hokey from what I read. I have a kit, but never used it, for an MDC Boxcab conversion. The engine shell is supposed to have tape put in the top to press the gear down to shim it, and you add or remove tape to do so. Strange and crude!

I do have a Proto 1000 RDC in ACL livery, it runs well, it's got DCC in it. Only issue is the gears whine a bit, but I never lubed it out of the box. I need to take it apart and check it, I guess. But I've used it for many hours now at my club layout, and it's always run fine except for the minor noise issue.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - January 12 2011 :  9:54:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
Ernst must like tape in their gear kits. They say to use tape to build up the thickness of the drive shaft so that the U joint will stay on and then super glue it in place. Guess what just failed on my attempt at their Scotch Tape engineering? The U joint removed itself from the tape.

This kit is nearly all plastic parts and at today's prices, would amount to roughly 15 cents in raw plastic. I wonder why they didn't include a properly sized U joint with the kit.

After hearing the loud grinding of the Ernst gears, watching my RDC crawl around the loop at a snail's pace top speed and then witnessing my RDC slide to a halt as the Scotch Tape let loose and motor whined away, I've decided that this Ernst gear kit endeavor is not for me.

I shall now crack open a George Killian's Irish Red and enjoy the rest of the evening watching my newly resurrected Tyco GP20 Chattanooga cruise around the track. This weekend, she'll (The RDC) be converted back to rubber band drive.

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Edited by - RDC1 on January 12 2011 9:56:47 PM

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 11 2011 :  5:29:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
This May Be Slightly Off Topic, But Was A SPV2000 Ever Made?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 18 ct. Gold General Topic Next Topic: golden spike boxcar  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000