Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 25 ]  [ Total: 25 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 TYCO pre-fab layout in Connecticut - finally...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Vintage Layout Article... Topic Next Topic: arnies layout  

TYCO-TOWN Trains
Little Six

Aurora HO Trains

Posted - February 02 2008 :  9:54:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add TYCO-TOWN Trains to Buddylist
Well, I asked a few questions about this layout and I got one or two replies but nobody was knowledgeable about it. Either the experts on this type of stuff have not been on line or there isn't much info on them or they are super rare and not known to exist. I did not want to toot my horn on this layout until I finally gor it home to CT and I first saw it on the net the weekend of Thanksgiving. I was searching around since I got on the forum and saw some of these type of layouts in the catalogs and on the TYCO price sheets. After a long time back and forth with Georgetown Texas, I convinced the lady selling it to meet a friend of mine on the Interstate between Austin and Ft. Worth, where he lives, and she gave it to him. He took it to a pack and ship place and it was mailed to me. I just got it but I was preparing my hobby room for it. I built a table and stantions over an existing table so I could get it in the room and now I have a bit of work cut out for me. It is in pretty good shape for 40 or so years old. It is almost 48 x 96 in size. Oh, the lady wanted $10 bucks for it but when my friend met her, she told him to keep the money for his gasoline. Shipping is another matter. FEDEX is not as nice as the lady was..more to come...Bob

Bob the Slot Car Guy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 170  ~  Member Since: October 31 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 26 2019 Alert Moderator 

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - February 03 2008 :  10:28:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Nice Bob--can't wait to see more pictures when finished. Pure Tyco layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

TYCO-TOWN Trains
Little Six

Aurora HO Trains

Posted - February 05 2008 :  12:48:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TYCO-TOWN Trains to Buddylist
I can not decide as to what level of restoration I want to do to this layout. I am thinking I will not alter it's originality and just install nickel silver track and staplegun some of the vaccuformed sections back onto the wood frame. -Bob
Bob the Slot Car Guy
Edited by - TYCO-TOWN Trains on February 05 2008 12:49:09 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 170  ~  Member Since: October 31 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - February 05 2008 :  01:16:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
I can not decide as to what level of restoration I want to do to this layout. I am thinking I will not alter it's originality and just install nickel silver track and staplegun some of the vaccuformed sections back onto the wood frame.
Originally posted by TYCO-TOWN Trains - February 04 2008 :  11:48:37 PM

I don't think I would do much more than that, other than maybe repairing any holes in the shell. (mainly to prevent cracking in the future)

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Roy
Little Six

Posted - February 05 2008 :  4:21:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Roy to Buddylist
quote:
...staplegun some of the vaccuformed sections back onto the wood frame...

I wouldn't drive staples through that brittle, old, vacuformed plastic. I'd use a suitable glue, although I don't know one to suggest.

Edited by - Roy on February 05 2008 4:24:31 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 108  ~  Member Since: December 25 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 05 2008 :  5:31:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That is a great find. How was the track originally attached to the layout? Are some of the empty spaces on the layout for buildings?

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - February 05 2008 :  6:13:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
[
I wouldn't drive staples through that brittle, old, vacuformed plastic. I'd use a suitable glue, although I don't know one to suggest.

Originally posted by Roy - February 05 2008 :  3:21:45 PM

[/quote] Use caulk to hold track to foam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 05 2008 :  7:43:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I'm anxious to see this running too. Good luck with the restoration.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - February 05 2008 :  11:08:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
That thing sure is nice...nice collection too !
BT
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

TYCO-TOWN Trains
Little Six

Aurora HO Trains

Posted - February 05 2008 :  11:33:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TYCO-TOWN Trains to Buddylist
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I am really excited about this layout. It has TYCO on (2) sides of it in the late 60's type print. The track was nailed down with those spike type nails and they do hold surprisingly well. The plastic is not brittle but it will crack under pressure. There are supports made of wood under it built into the framework. It is VERY lightweight and all totalled the six pieces weigh about 30 lbs. The plastic was held on with staples all around and that dos tend to give it strength. I have all new old stock nickel track to use on it and there are areas where there clearly were TYCO accessories. I think it might have been advertised in the train mags of the late 60's or early 70's. Here are a few more shots. -Bob
Bob the Slot Car Guy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 170  ~  Member Since: October 31 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - February 06 2008 :  01:48:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
at 1st glance in the early photo's, my mind said..."There's a Santa Fe Shark..."

Johnson Wax?
Isn't there some article about its rarity?

Just curious.

Nice set.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 23 2022 :  10:05:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice early Tyco ready to run layout it appears.
Probably not massed produced so it would be rare.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LRR.
Switcher

LRR 01

Posted - October 23 2022 :  10:59:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LRR. to Buddylist
Very interesting layout. Where can I find more infos about it (size, track plan...) ? Thanks.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 36  ~  Member Since: September 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: November 05 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - October 24 2022 :  05:21:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
THis layout looks similar to the one that appeared in Boys Life magazine starting in Demenber 1958: https://books.google.com/books?id=LGuXaDBuNhYC&q=MODEL+RAILROAD#v=snippet&q=MODEL%20RAILROAD&f=false

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LRR.
Switcher

LRR 01

Posted - October 24 2022 :  05:47:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LRR. to Buddylist
Thank you very much for your answer. In 1958...I was only one year old.
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 36  ~  Member Since: September 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: November 05 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Vintage Layout Article... Topic Next Topic: arnies layout  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000