Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 The infamous 353-A
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: quaker oats boxcar and tanker Topic Next Topic: Tyco/Mantua 40'' flat loads  

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - November 06 2007 :  10:59:19 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
Several weeks ago I purchased a lot on eBay with several items in it and one item was the 353-A with the tri-colored Peterbuilt truck cabs. This version is seldom ever seen and some people have questioned its existence ( I have even questioned it myself). Forum member Theoldreliable did say he in fact had one in a previous collection so one had to exist somewhere. As you can tell there are some differences between mine and the catalog picture. It came with the green Great Northern flat and the brown cradles the trucks sit in on top of the flat car. The photo provided in the catalog shows a blue flat car which looks undecorated and has an orange cradle for the trucks. So the question is was the picture in the catalog just a generic mock up for this version or could this be a variation?

A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator 

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 14 2007 :  6:24:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
I'd bet the catalog pic with the blue flat is a mock up only...though one never knows.

Really great find! I too had wondered if this one was out there! Wonder why it's so hard to locate?

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

midmo1
Little Six

Posted - November 14 2007 :  7:10:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add midmo1 to Buddylist
Cool.......Those Petes' looka lot better than those funky Dodge cabs

Ted
MidMO
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 129  ~  Member Since: September 26 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 30 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - November 14 2007 :  10:42:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Budman and I have put our heads together in the past couple days to figure this one out. It's funny because I think each of us thought the other was crazy (Tyco's stupid fake catalog example didn't help), until we finally took some photos and exchanged them.

Budman kept insisting that his car he found, had KW cabs that fit the flatcar. "Bullcrap!" I said, "It's not blue, it doesn't have the orange deck, it looks like the same old GN truck flat that someone put new cabs on. But I've tried that and it doesn't work!"

Compare the wheelbases, and it's obvious the KW is longer. So watch what happens when you try to put a KW into the Dodge cradles:

That's right - it doesn't fit, it merely rests on the wheel chocks that are molded into the cradle. EVERY truck flat I have seen, bought, kept, and sold, looked just like this!

But not Budman's!

Look closely and you see the chocks are gone - which finally allows the KWs to fit. And lest you think that someone just cut them off, look at the axle tabs: they too are different - and according to Budman, that mystery tab on the bottom of the KW itself, does indeed snap into place.

And of course, the Dodge cabs would fit just as well... and you would never know they were the "wrong" ones (as was Budman's situation. That's right - we each had multiple examples of completely different cars, never knowing about the other! [:P]).

At last! Mystery solved! Now I just have to find one... or two, to paint one to match the catalog (mwuhaha).

Also, after comparing boxes... it's obvious that the stock number was always 353A - it did not change with the new trucks. I will have to update the Trailer Jet post to reflect this new information.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on November 14 2007 10:46:36 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 10 2014 :  7:02:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Reviving this ancient thread, I went to a local Greenberg train show Saturday, and saw this item, but didn't buy it. I went to my hobby shop job on Sunday, and my co-worker had gone to the show SUnday morning before coming to work, and GUESS what he bought for ME....yup, this exact one! I'd passed it up because I was saving money for "necessary" train items, I did want it,but I passed.He talked the guy down to $10, and then sold it to me for same. I knew it was rather rare and hardly ever seen in the wild, but I passed on it Saturday, I'm glad my co-worker thought about me and got it. LOL.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 10 2014 :  7:35:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I think this one also had the Dodge truck load with it too
Do want the REAL Dodge truck someday hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - August 10 2014 :  7:44:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
What a cool score Jerry - looks like you were meant to have that one
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 10 2014 :  11:21:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
That is a nice find, Jerry! This one rarely shows up on eBay. I decided I would by the next one that showed up and I did. It cost me $42 though...
As for the Dodge trucks, they don't fit on this flat car correctly.. I tried the KW on the Dodge flat long ago! Doesn't work...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 24 2017 :  11:52:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://youtu.be/kbpTeRFVGIk
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: quaker oats boxcar and tanker Topic Next Topic: Tyco/Mantua 40'' flat loads  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000