Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 23 ]  [ Total: 23 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Track Cleaning: Quick and Dirty
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco handrail ? Topic Next Topic: Talgo to Kadee  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 21 2023 :  6:24:19 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Few things agitate model railheads more than track cleaning discussions. People swear by their
methods and no other is half as good as theirs. This is mine. Please refrain from profanity,
although threats of any other nature welcomed.

Works great with Tyco, N, O, HO, OO, and DCC. I've tried it on all those modalities, and get
great results. Does not hurt neoprene or plastic Tyco traction tires, nor plastic wheels or
plastic components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCKr_a4uUg
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11194  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 21 2023 :  7:44:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The black stuff on the paper towels appears to mainly be the dirt caused by arcing. Not only will the clipper oil help clean that off, but it should reduce the arcing and delay the time when you have to clean again. Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine published a study of this stuff and listed various cleaners and what it called the dielectric constant. Things with a low dielectric constant helped reduce arcing. A high constant increased it. The clipper oil was at the lower end.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/mrhpub.com/2019-05-may/online/index.html?page=9

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 21 2023 :  8:50:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
SO where does GOo Gone sit in terms of di-electric constant?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 21 2023 :  10:42:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
SO where does GOo Gone sit in terms of di-electric constant?
Originally posted by jward - December 21 2023 :  8:50:32 PM

The closest thing to it on the list seems to be vinegar at 24. Goo Gone seems to resemble juice spilled on the rails. I tried it once and it even got sticky.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 22 2023 :  12:44:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Apparently, on some contestant module entries in the world of European model rail, German narrow
gauge comes to mind, a thin layer of graphite is applied to the rail surface to enhance conductivity
allowing these tiny scratchbuilt contraptions to smoothly creep along a scale 2 or 3 mph.

If you use Goo Gone, let us know how that works out for you. It will be amusing. Goo Gone
would be more appropriately named Goo Come.

Some years ago, at the model train club, several hundred feet of rail received cleaning from
Goo Gone. It took weeks to undo the mess.

Edited by - Chops124 on December 22 2023 12:47:37 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11194  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 22 2023 :  12:47:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I have used it for many years, back into my N scale days. It does a great job of loosening the crud from wheels but tends to leave a residue behind. I always use two Centerline track cleaner cars in a train when I use it. On the first one the roller pad is soaked in Goo GOne, the second car runs dry to clean up the residue. It has worked far better than Rail Zip.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 22 2023 :  4:33:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ooo Hooo! A proponent of Goo Gone, on N scale, no less! I am truly shocked the results are positive.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11194  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco handrail ? Topic Next Topic: Talgo to Kadee  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000