Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Complete Tyco List?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Do I win yet? ( He who dies with the most trains) Topic Next Topic: W&ARR 4-4-0  

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - December 11 2023 :  3:49:45 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
Hi everyone! I wasn't sure where this would fall in the fourm. Does anyone know if there is a somewhat complete list of Tyco products? Something akin to the Lionel price guides (not a price guide per se, just an item list)? Even if it is say broken out by eras (Brown Box, Red Box, etc)? I have a few of the price lists and catalogs that sometimes came with a set but obviously it is not a complete list
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 107  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 11 2023 :  6:41:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
The closest thing I came across were Tony Cook's web pages detailing the items Tyco produced over the years. These pages have, sadly, been taken down. They were supposed to have been migrated over to White River Productions web site but only a select few pages have resurfaced there.

Barring that, you might want to loo at the collection of Tyco and Mantua catalogs at HO Seeker. https://hoseeker.net/tyco.htm
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 13 2023 :  12:20:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Interesting question. Once when I was canvassing the city for contributions to our local model train
club a fellow contacted me, he had a thriving hobby shop in the pre-computer game era. I went to
his place and his McMansion (as they are called here in El Paso) had the back veranda stacked
over my head with Tyco, NIB from the 1970's from rolling stock to structures. I'd thought I'd have
a stroke. There was simply tonnage in pristine condition left over from when he'd sold out; I'd
gathered he'd seen the writing on the wall.

Like a lot of collectors, he wasn't in too much of a hurry to let much go, although his health was
clearly failing and he knew it. He let me and another guy pick up some duplicates, of which there
were a couple of hundred, out of thousands, which we dutifully distributed around the club and eBay
and so forth.

Shortly after that he passed away, his estate went to an estate sale, unknown to us, and I am told
much of this pristine Tyco stock ended up in the dumpster after the three day event.

In a similar case, a man's widow contacted me, and there was fully 1/3 of a three car garage
stacked to the ceiling with pristine Red Ball kits and the like, some brass locomotives, and various
Athearn pieces and what not. The brass pieces all had major corrosion problems to their motors.
On the agreement of 10% proceeds to the club, I moved a certain amount on eBay, where I
soon learned the damage and loss rate of USPS was rarely less than 10% of all items shipped. UPS
no better. I had to refund 10% of ticked off eBay buyers from the proceeds- that did not go over well.

Eventually, one of the club members snapped up the remaining 4/5th of the three car garage
assortment for about 20K, perhaps thinking he was going to make a killing reselling it on eBay
(hah, hah, good luck with that). The part that stuck in my craw was that 10% of any sales was
to go to the Club. Did you think the Club ever got its 10%???

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably walk away from taking on such enormous tasks. Very
frustrating to deal with people going around me, under me, over me, through me. Not worth
the effort. Blech.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 13 2023 :  1:01:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh that makes me SICK right there, Chops!
I would of been watching that hobby store everyday like a hawk & then when it was being cleared out take everything they don't want!
AND searching the dumpster!

I hate seeing the original Tony Cook website vanishing as it was a good source of info on alot of makers including Tyco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 13 2023 :  6:45:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, this gentleman just slipped out of sight. I had no idea he had passed, nor about the estate
sale. We did cherry pick a few items, but it was very hard for him to let go. Only found about
his passing when my friend stopped by to check in on him and found he was gone. A lot of
Tyco out there in the landfills of El Paso, just don't know where.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - December 19 2023 :  11:00:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
I've never seen such a list. When you consider that Tyco was formed in 1952 and ended in 1993, you've got the Little Trains, Blue Box, Red Box, Brown box and White box eras, that is a lot of ground to cover. The red and brown box eras have price lists that are useful, but I haven't been able to find anything similar for the Little Trains and blue box eras. Good luck, and let us know if you find any useful information.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 20 2023 :  3:43:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I've never seen such a list. When you consider that Tyco was formed in 1952 and ended in 1993, you've got the Little Trains, Blue Box, Red Box, Brown box and White box eras, that is a lot of ground to cover. The red and brown box eras have price lists that are useful, but I haven't been able to find anything similar for the Little Trains and blue box eras. Good luck, and let us know if you find any useful information.

Originally posted by Brian4321 - December 19 2023 :  11:00:05 PM

& on top of that Mantua vanished in 2001!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Do I win yet? ( He who dies with the most trains) Topic Next Topic: W&ARR 4-4-0  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000