Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 25 ]  [ Total: 25 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 An Athearn Lathe? Has anyone else ever seen this?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Wonderful world of animals Topic Next Topic: Post Your Favorite Model Train Pic Here  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 18 2023 :  10:58:03 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Today I was operating an old Athearn Blue Box era Amtrak FP45 that I picked up used from Ebay when I noticed two things that were odd about this unit.

First, the locomotive was "wired" backward, whoever had taken it apart last put the trucks in backward causing the locomotive to run the opposite direction of all my other engines.

The second thing that was weird about this engine was the yellow metallic dust that was accumulating on the frame.

So I pulled off the shell of this engine to fix the polarity issue and found this...

The steel electrical clip that connects the two trucks to the motor was rubbing against the brass flywheel in such a way that the flywheel was literally being ground down!

I have never seen this before, has anyone else? Maybe my FP45 was a lathe in a past machine life.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on November 19 2023 12:21:22 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 19 2023 :  07:46:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Looks like the motor mounts on that end might not be snapped all the way into the frame.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 19 2023 :  2:30:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Looks like the motor mounts on that end might not be snapped all the way into the frame.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - November 19 2023 :  07:46:48 AM

I'll have to check the motor mounts, I had not considered that! At any rate I replaced the metal clip with quick disconnect wires so the grinding issue is now fixed. The unit now runs like a champ in the right direction!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 20 2023 :  09:18:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
The fix would have been as simple as bending the metal clip upwards so it didn't touch the flywheel. But the clips were always the weakest part of the Athearn drive, and you're better off hardwiring the motor to the trucks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Wonderful world of animals Topic Next Topic: Post Your Favorite Model Train Pic Here  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000