Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 HO Collector Magazine bad news.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Happy Anniversary TYCO Forum! Topic Next Topic: Scumton  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 03 2023 :  3:30:20 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I just received my 4th quarter 2023 issue of HO Collector magazine and got a shock while reading the Editor's Note on the 5th page....

"As we move into the publication's eighth year, there are changes to be aware of and look forward to."

Uh oh

"Slated for release during the fourth quarter of 2024 will be the first HO Collector Annual".

Uh, say what?

"The publication will go from its 68-page quarterly to a 100-plus-page annual."

Great now I have to wait a full year between issues and get just half the content!

But don't worry, for extra money you can get a subscription for Model Railroad News which will have a "From the Archive" section that will feature HO Collector content.

If you are especially flush you can also get a subscription for Railroad Model Craftsman which has a "Collector Consist" section for even more HO Collector content.

Great, now I need to get subscriptions for magazines with content I am not interested in in order to get access to what I used to get in one place.

If they turned HO Collector to a bi-annual 100 page magazine I wouldn't feel so upset, but by turning this publication into an annual with much content dispersed to other magazines feels like a blatant money grab by Whiteriver Productions.

I have no desire to subscribe to additional magazines for scraps of content that I am interested in. I also wonder how long HO Collector magazine will last if it's only published once a year, if they are lucky they won't loose subscriptions. More likely than not subscriptions will decline and HO Collector will soon be history.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on October 03 2023 3:32:36 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator 

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 05 2023 :  6:34:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I'm kind of surprised that no one has commented on this change with HO Collector Magazine. Is anyone else in this forum a subscriber to this publication? If not, maybe I have overestimated the demand for this kind of periodical.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - October 05 2023 :  9:45:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I pick up the occasional issue at the bookstore, but do not subscribe.

While there are things that interest me in the magazine it is not enough for me to justify a subscription. It is geared towards collectors, and I am not a collector in the traditional sense.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 486  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 05 2023 :  11:45:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I'm not really a collector either, however I am interested in the history of our hobby so I appreciate the niche this magazine fills. Even if you are not a subscriber, having four issues to pick up every year beats only one issue a year.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - October 06 2023 :  9:13:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
WHile I agree with you about the history of the hobby, I think the loss of Tony Cook's website was a far greater loss. And ironically, WHite RIver Productions also had a hand in that.

We were told that his site would be migrated over to theirs, but years later only bits and pieces have appeared in a randomly disorganized fashion.

Tony's site was my go to for insight into the history of the various manufacturers and what they catalogued. It was well organized and easily searchable.

Edited by - jward on October 06 2023 9:15:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 486  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 07 2023 :  01:17:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
That reminds me, Tony Cook help create this forum but then he left it. What is the story behind that? All of the drama was over before I became a member of this forum. Also what is the story behind Tony’s website and White River Productions? Did Tony have to sign a “no compete” clause in their contract?

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 07 2023 :  01:39:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Actually there were two Tonys who helped start this forum, Tony Cook and Tony Lucio (aka Going In Circles). Twelve years ago something happened and both Tonys left the forum in high dudgeon. Neither of them have logged in since about February 1st 2012. Does anyone know what happened?

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 07 2023 :  01:59:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I would really like to know what happened to Tony Lucio. For those of you who are just “guests” of this forum and not actual members, one thing you are missing out on is “GICs Corner”. Only members get access to this part of the General HO Train Discussions. Some of the articles he wrote for HO Collector magazine started as posts in this private part of this forum. As a matter of fact, one post he made about the history of Tyco plug door boxcars inspired me to start kit bashing my own pluggers.
Edited by - Srenchin on October 07 2023 02:05:04 AM

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - October 08 2023 :  10:14:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Yes, I wondered what happened to GOing In Circles. His posts were very interesting reading.
Plus, his railroad had a cohesive theme without going into rivet counting. That made it far more interesting to me than anything I've seen in the model railroad magazines in the past 20 years or so.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 08 2023 :  3:53:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Probably added responsibilities in their daily lives had them leave.
And possible that they thought this forum would go off line at that time.

Maybe they will come back. Only time will tell.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5897  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 08 2023 :  3:56:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

New issue looks good.

Difficult to find that set.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5897  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 10 2023 :  7:21:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
NYC started the forum on his own as far as I know. Tony Cook's website was online before the forum.

This forum 15 years ago was a completely different place, and there have been some real characters over the years that didn't all get along. GIC left originally because of some friction with another member. He came back a while later under the screen name "spiderj76" if you want to see more of his posts. I've tried going back to some of his old posts, but it isn't the same with his website photos and youtube videos gone.

Edited by - DaCheez on October 10 2023 7:22:18 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - October 14 2023 :  2:05:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
NYC started the forum on his own as far as I know. Tony Cook's website was online before the forum.

This forum 15 years ago was a completely different place, and there have been some real characters over the years that didn't all get along. GIC left originally because of some friction with another member. He came back a while later under the screen name "spiderj76" if you want to see more of his posts. I've tried going back to some of his old posts, but it isn't the same with his website photos and youtube videos gone.

Originally posted by DaCheez - October 10 2023 :  7:21:39 PM

So what was all the drama about back then, what were they fighting each other for. Were the disagreements over model railroading issues or about things that have nothing to do with our hobby?

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 14 2023 :  4:05:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I've been watching this for awhile and Rick, I do hope you are secure there. I worry about everything.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 14 2023 :  6:17:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

There were just minor disagreements on various model railroad views.

Mainly daily responsibilities in life that have some members leave.

Maybe they will be back.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 11 2023 :  8:40:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I bought the latest issue today.

Very nice to see the vintage model train items in the magazine.

Previous Topic: Happy Anniversary TYCO Forum! Topic Next Topic: Scumton  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000