Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Introduce yourself.
 Hello all
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Intro Topic Next Topic: knob for Tyco crane  

Arney1
Switcher

Posted - June 24 2023 :  11:07:06 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send Arney1 a Yahoo! Message  Add Arney1 to Buddylist
Hello, new to the forum and the hobby.
With that said.... doing some research on the tyco (250 ton I believe) crane and boom tender. I recently received one In a lot of cars, that appears to be in good working order, minus the adjuster.
Does anyone know the dimensions of that adjuster?
My apologies if this goes into the wrong area on the forum, can't say I'm too familiar with operating them.
Thank you for your time!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: June 24 2023  ~  Last Visit: September 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - June 25 2023 :  11:07:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Welcome to the forum Arney. The crane car has a small object to move the string.
Personally I do not use it since I like the look of the car as is.

You can improvise some very small object to fit in that knob.

The adjuster is smaller than a quarter. Smaller than a dime as well.
Hope these photos help a little.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5890  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - June 25 2023 :  11:12:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Small pliers would also do the movement of the crane. Might be troublesome though. Just a thought.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5890  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - June 26 2023 :  08:07:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I haven't had a crane in many years so my memory may be off.

As I recall, the adjuster knob for these had a square opening that wasn't readily apparent in WKS photos. If this is true, you could easily rig up a replacement with a small piece of square brass tubing of the sort readily available in any goot hobby shop. the tubing should fit snugly over the shaft inside the crane. For added torque, you could drill a home through the end of the tubing and insert a length of metal rodding, so that what you end up with looks like the chuck key for a drill.

personally, I wouldn't try to use a pair of pliers to adjust the crane. The risk of damaging the plastic shaft is too great.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 484  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - June 26 2023 :  08:53:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist

Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - June 26 2023 :  10:52:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
A radiator key MIGHT work as well
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Arney1
Switcher

Posted - June 28 2023 :  08:29:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send Arney1 a Yahoo! Message  Add Arney1 to Buddylist
Thank you to all for the pictures and helpful advice. I agree that using pliers is not the ideal (the crane is older than I am, and while I'm sure I could replace it, I already have this one, the brass tubing idea definitely sounds like a good thought. Thank you again for the welcomes and advice
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2  ~  Member Since: June 24 2023  ~  Last Visit: September 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Intro Topic Next Topic: knob for Tyco crane  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000