Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Need help with Tech 2 loco - motion 2500
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Out takes from Chops'' Studio Topic Next Topic: CPR DIESEL ROSTER  

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - June 05 2023 :  10:33:33 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Hey everyone, it's been a really long time since I've been active on here.
I just got a used MRC tech 2 power pack to replace one of my old bachmann ones but it doesn't seem to be working right. At slow speeds it causes my engines to make a sort of buzzing noise and it doesn't run them very smoothly. I also have had no luck with the momentum feature. When I pick it up it sounds like there is something loose inside. I don't seem to have to right bits to open it up. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong and how I could fix it? Thanks, Erik
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 06 2023 :  07:30:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I think the Tech II with momentum uses either half-wave DC or some sort of pulse modulation at the lower speeds. With some motors, particularly older ones, that'll mean a little noise such as a buzz or growl.

I don't know what would be amiss with the momentum.

The fasteners on the pack are torx head screws with a little nub in the hole so it takes a special tool to open them. You're being protected from yourself by those who assume everyone but them is incompetent to cross a meadow without falling down a well. If you take apart an electrical device without being a wizard, you'll electrocute yourself, even if it's not plugged in.

I've had those screws out, before, but I forgot how. It may be possible to remove the nub with a drill without totally destroying the part the torx head engages.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2355  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - June 06 2023 :  11:53:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Ok thanks, so the buzzing sound is normal?
Regarding the momentum it actually does work I just took a while to figure it out
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Out takes from Chops'' Studio Topic Next Topic: CPR DIESEL ROSTER  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000